Down to three

I think most folks would tell you the Equinox 800 is the better machine out of the ones you were thinking about buying. The learning curve with the Equinox 800 was not to tough, but it does have some quirks that one must learn to get the most out of it.

I took to the detector immediately. I also started finding silver right off the bat, and feel my silver average per hunt has gone way up since I got mine. The 800 is more adjustable than the 600 and I personally thought I wanted the more adjustable unit.

I have not noticed many used 800's for sale. I do see some used 600's occasionally.

Like all rookies I suppose, I want my detector to do everything but for a modest price. Wishful thinking. I will have to weigh everything in the balance and get on with the purchase. Thank you all for your generous replies.

From the description you gave of your sites and history.
You will want a good combo relic and coin detector.
You stand a chance to find some nice lower conductive relics.

Imo currently based on what’s in production and readily available is USA.

Best dedicated coin detectors
Minelab Etrac and CTX.

Best dedicated relic detectors
Xp Deus
Xp ORX
Anfibio 19

Best combo relic and coin detectors.
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Nokta Anfibio Multi
Makro Kruzer Multi

Could you use one of the relic detectors and find coins?
Certainly
Could you take one of the coin detectors and find relics ?
Certainly.

Can you quote me on an Equinox 800? I am ready to purchase and have pretty much settled on this one for all that I wish to do with it. Thanks.

I have contacted all of the sponsors that handle the Equinox 800. Hopefully, one of them can make a reasonable deal. Thank you all for your help.

Hi,
Garrett AT series are great detectors for someone that is moving up from an entry level detector or is just starting the hobby. They are real workhorses and get the job done in most soil conditions and work well in water. The audio gets on some peoples nerves. Others have no problem with it.

The X-Terra 705 is a very refined detector that is fairly easy to learn. It is not waterproof and neither are some of the coils. The stock concentrics are waterproof. Excellent all metal mode and audio. A little too filtered for my taste. I like a fairly hot detector. I would look for a used one at around $300. New ones are over priced still for what you get.

The Equinox 800 can do just about anything you would ever need from a VLF detector. The only complaints I hear are about its handling of iron by relic hunters. I am a prospector and I have to deal with lots of iron too. I have not had any problems in iron target rich situations. I just turn down the iron volume to one, listen to the threshold nulls or just disc it out! The 800 has some very versatile audio features which are extremely customizable.

Don't count out the Nox 600. It can do just about as well as the 800. It is just as deep in the modes that they share. It does not have a user profile for setting up a customized program. You can always customize one of the modes however and your settings will be saved. Its other major differences are no Gold 1 & 2 modes, no single frequency access to 20kHz and 40kHz (they are both present in multi frequency Park, Field and Beach modes) and less customizable tone breaks and other audio features. It is a real bargain when compared to the similar price of the ATs. The Nox is in another galaxy compared to the ATs and the 705 which I have owned in the past and know well.

good luck
Jeff

Missouri Mule, I'm also in Missouri and know that our soil and conditions vary from very mild to highly mineralized. The simultaneous multiple frequencies from the Equinox detectors are a big advantage here. An expert on some other machines that support multiple frequencies (not simultaneous but can be changed) can do very well to know what frequencies work the best for specific targets in specific soil types. I'm not interested in taking years to figure that out so the Equinox works great for me.

The difference between the 600 and 800 aren't much if you're going to use the factory default programs. The 600 lacks the gold programs of the 800 but gold is pretty scarce in Missouri. The backlight on the 600 is either on or off, not adjustable like the 800. But in default programs the multi-frequencies of both the 600 and 800 are identical.

Both the 600 and 800 are available at pretty good discounts. Dealers cannot advertise these lower prices due to Minelab's MAP policy. You have to call them. Used machines are around, but keep in mind that any built before October, 2018 have the shaft wobble issue and you may have to work with Minelab to update the shaft, or buy an aftermarket shaft.

I'm not saying the Equinox is the best machine in the world... there are other good options, but I honestly believe the Equinox offers the best overall value available today. That could change tomorrow and we all face the same risk.

Good luck,
-Joe

Back
Top Bottom