Cen Tech Pinpointer

RRW

I've only been detecting a few weeks but I went to Harbor Freight and got their $17 pinpointer. I have no idea how a good one works, but I was amazed how well this cheapie works. Used it on a short hunt today and found 8 modern coins. I have dug targets before and found nothing. Today every time I got a coin signal on my 250, there was a coin to be found. Couple things I learned, coins are hard to spot because they take on the color of the dirt. Also 2 of the coins were found outside the hole, I imagine they flipped out while pulling out the plug. Now I'm thinking my previous empty holes, probably had something in them. This md stuff sure is addicting.

Congrats on your new success with finding stuff. Hubby and I both have the cen-tech pp and like them just fine. They do have a weak spot though, which is the button on the side. We have covered ours with black tape loosly, so that dirt and sand doesn't get in. You may want to check out old threads about replacing the side button and what the forum thinks about them in general. For the money it does the trick though and will make your life alot easier. Good Luck on future digs. : )

I've been using my "modded" one with great results. I replaced the button and the speaker with a vibration motor. There are a couple of threads here on the mods.......check them out :D

I'd recommend everyone just starting out get a Cen-Tech pinpointer. It is cheap and it works well. Sure the higher priced pinpointers are more durable and probably go a bit deeper, but until you are sure this is a hobby you will stick with it is better to start with a $17 pinpointer instead of blowing money on a $100-200 one. I'm buying an Explorer at the moment and will shortly get a Sunray probe installed, but the Cen-Tech will always be in my car as a backup in case the Sunray goes on the fritz!

I agree with the comments about the button though. I've been using my pinpointer for a couple months now with little problem, but lately I've had to hit the button about 10 times for it to turn on. I'm probably going to fix it this week.

Love my Pro-Pointer. It has speeded up & help me find my finds a lot quicker.

Finding stuff in the dirt is very time consuming without one. :gaah:

Back
Top Bottom