*** My BEST spill to date!!! ***

Bonesquat

Elite Member
I hope you guys don't mind me putting this in eye popping section. To me it's VERY eye popping and a huge first for me.

I went back to the same park from yesterday here in Indiana. I found a few wheats and a merc so I knew there was good potential. This park was built in the 20s I think. I put together a video for your viewing pleasure. It's really worth watching. Full of surprises and what not.

I drove by a spot that I hadn't hit before and thought it'd be a good idea to scope it out. I parked my car and got my beeper and other equipment ready. I crossed the little bridge that goes over a creek and started to swing. My first good hit was a 15-40 and turned out to be an extremely green crusty wheat. I've never seen such a crusty green one before. It was so encrusted that when I rubbed it a thick green chalk like powder got on my fingers.

A few wheats later, I was swinging near the tree line when a sharp 11-46 thumped in my ear. It sounded good enough - I checked it in TTF and the high tone was locking in good enough to say, "Dig me!". So I cut a 7 inch deep plug and scanned the bottom of the hole with my pinpointer. I got a sharp buzz and moved the dirt around with my hand instead of my lesche in case it was something good....Here's what I saw in the bottom of the hole.
SLQ hole.jpg
:shock: Oooh..a shiny rim! What could it be? A silver quarter perhaps? Dreams of a nice Washington filled my head and I reached in to see what it was.
SLQ in grass.jpg
:shock::wow:OMG! A standing!!! In really good shape! WOW.

The hole wasn't finished with me yet....I went to clean off the standing and left the E-trac behind. When I returned, I went back in the hole with the pro pointer and got a solid buzz! :-O

What? This can't be a coin spill.....You can see the whole thing on video. This was in the exact same spot as the SLQ!
barber dirt.jpg

Home run!!!! A happy dance ensued along with a "woo hoo".

I couldn't focus much on the task at hand. I did one more probe in the hole and I found what made the rust spots on the coins. The piece of iron that was on top of them. I LOVE my E-trac!!! It was able to pick out a nice quarter signal at 8 inches with a piece of iron on top of BOTH quarters!

I found 3 more wheats and then headed out. Can't wait to get back there. Here are the rest of the pics. Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• all finds together.jpg
    all finds together.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 3,133
  • SLQ and barber together 1.jpg
    SLQ and barber together 1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 3,072
  • barber SLQ reverse.jpg
    barber SLQ reverse.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 3,080
  • 1923.jpg
    1923.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 3,090
Amazing!! Too bad you left a couple of 12-36 IHs, and a two 12-31 $5 GPs, just kidding!!!

Cleaning up the silver in Nativeamericiana (Indiana) !!

How do you clean the iron stains without removing the patina, and making them shine to bright? Dab the stain sparingly with a lemon juice dipped toothpick (like on the inside of the stain only, rinse, repeat? Pick at it with something softer than silver, toothpick, plastic spoon?

Very nice spill! Both of those are on my wish list. Hope that iron comes off easy for you. Congrats.

That's an awesome spill bud I am very happy for you. I know the feeling when the propointer keeps going off in the hole for more silver. The SLQ looks like the iron was wrapped around it somehow. Maybe try using CLR on the coins with a qtip. I don't think it will harm silver. Big congrats Rick!!!

Thanks everyone - I was hoping to use electrolysis lightly...not really sure what to do about it. :?: Any ideas?

Trolysis, and the foil trick are compared to acid. Acid isn't bad on silver, but it makes it too shiny, that is why I was saying micro-dab inside the stain with a toothpick.

Try scratching a ruined silver coin with various objects. Softer objects are not as likely to scratch another object. Steel on diamond, brass on copper, wood on metal. If you are not careful the rust could get rubbed into the coin and scratch it. See if you can scratch a junk silver coin with a plastic fork, toothpick, or your fingernail. Try a sharp broken toothpick, broken pop-sickle stick shard, or broken plastic fork, as well.

But I was actually suggesting using the toothpick to wet (dab) a very small area with acid, like .5 mm². That way it doesn't shine up the entire coin, like electrolysis would do. Then kind of flick the weakened rust off with a fingernail without rubbing the rust into the coin. Neutralize in baking soda solution water.

Or stick scotch tape to it. You could probably remove the tape residue with goo off or acetone, dont know if those solvents work on rust.

Trolysis, and the foil trick are compared to acid. Acid isn't bad on silver, but it makes it too shiny, that is why I was saying micro-dab inside the stain with a toothpick.

I'm afraid of the toothpick scratching it....oh I'm just at a loss with the SLQ. I want to preserve it badly but want to date to show just as badly. Wish I had a common date washington covered in rust. Maybe I should bury one in the yard with a handfull of nails around it - then make sure I can still get a signal on it, mark it whit a big rock, then wait ten years and test it. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom