An Idea for the website

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
Excuse me if his has already be done and if so please point me in the right direction.

How about a find of the year forum. For example, a best of 2006 where posters vote on their choice for find of the year in several categories. We could have a best coin, best jewelry, best relic and best cache. There could also be a best story and best noobie find.

In each category, as an item gets nominated as a possible find of the year, we could setup a poll where the posters vote on their favorite.

What do you think?

We have thought of that but decided against it.

The reason for this is because we feel that one person's find is not better than another's. We were in a club that had a "Find of the Month" and on many occasions it caused hurt feelings. How can a newbie compete with a professional?

One person may live in an area that doesn't produce a lot of great finds, and another would be winning all the time because of where they are located.

Added to that is the problem of prizes, scoring, polls, points, etc. Who wants to do that? We would rather be out detecting! Finding a Merc is a lot better than winning a Merc. Finding a jar of coins is better than winning a jar of wheaties. ;)

This forum will always be "contest free." The goal being, to make it the best "informational" and "friendliest" website on our favorite hobby. No need to feel like a stranger here!

If you would like to post your favorite find or finds of the year, use the Eye Popping, Mind Boggling Finds" forum, so we will all be encouraged to get out there and just do it!.

This forum wins the "Best of metaldetecting forums!" hands down! :D
Thanks Vlad and Carol for such a great site.
And may the new year bring everyone a find of a lifetime.

Jeff

Why not save the trouble of a poll and just send all the prizes to simonthesearcher :lol:

OZ, on a silver coin drought again :(

NO,NO,i dont want them,,,Rusty will be pestering me all the time for me to give them to him :lol: :lol:.Only joking,Carol is right.The only reason i find what i do is because of the location im in and the finds i make are no better than anyone else,s.On an international forum a finds of the month competition could never work.I think a better idea would be to have a live chat time,i dont know if its possible but i think it could be fun.

Great post Carol. There's no way I could compete with the east coast or foreign people on this forum. Heck, I have a hard enough time competing with people in my area. Oklahoma didn't even become a state until 1907 :shock:

I hear ya OD. Now if it were for the most spent military brass, I would win hands down :lol: Would living close to all the national guard ranges be considered CHEATING! :lol:

I am glad that you are not a "competitive" forum. I have a hard enough time putting up what I find compared with everyone else's great finds. I love finding "stuff" but it is not always about what it is as much as getting out and feeling good about what I do. Now if I find a "real" ring, I am going to post the biggest picture ever :lol: :lol:

what about creating a page for all the links to other websites that people post on this forum? the one's that are relevant to metal detecting and finds. such as manufacturers, new products, information and coins.

stick999 said:
what about creating a page for all the links to other websites that people post on this forum? the one's that are relevant to metal detecting and finds. such as manufacturers, new products, information and coins.

We sort have already have that Stick.. Also if you look in the research section of board there are a lot of links there as well.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=4743

spittfire said:
I am glad that you are not a "competitive" forum. I have a hard enough time putting up what I find compared with everyone else's great finds. I love finding "stuff" but it is not always about what it is as much as getting out and feeling good about what I do. Now if I find a "real" ring, I am going to post the biggest picture ever :lol: :lol:
.....You feel that way spittfire cause you can't beat my finds........
I second,Third, Fourth and fifth the motion. It would also mean I would have to ask

..................Can I Have It? way to much :bouncy:

Back
Top Bottom