Differentiation Metal Detector - Model 3006???

OZ_IL

Forum Supporter
Security guard was telling me about an older metal detector he bought but never used (I think it cost him around $50). He brought me in the manual and it is called a "Differentiation Metal Detector", model 3006 (MD-3006). It also has "Very Low Frequency (VLF) Device on the front cover. On the back cover it has "P/N 2A-3006-0-00-C"

I do not see any manufacturer's name anywhere in the manual and googling didn't turn up anything.

Anyone familiar with this device :?:

Re: Differentiation Metal Detector - Model 3600???

Don't think its produced anymore. Most MD machines are from China though they have a few good pulse machines from Bulgaria.

http://mdectors.com

Found a description using Google's cache of a detector sold on E-Bay.

http://tinyurl.com/mzvpv

I guess it helps to not transpose model numbers as my original post had MD-3600 where it is MD-3006 *oops* The guy has some land to detect in WI that used to be some old homesites and Indians also use to travel through the area. I don't know if I can teach him any basics to using it and would like him to at least attempt to detect the property (too long of a drive for me to tag along).

This seems to be a copy of a pre motion machine of about 15 years ago.
Think you will find you have the choice of searching in VLF which should ignore ground minerals but not discriminate OR TR1 that probably discrims out small iron up to large iron or TR2 that may discrim. from large iron up to ringpulls.
TR won't eliminate ground effects.
So for best performance he should detect in VLF then swap to TR to check if the target is worth digging.
If on a beach (wet sand) detect in TR all the time. VLF would pick up the wet salt. In TR increase discrimination to about foil reject level and use the discrimination to effectively ground balance out the salt.
Modern detector designs are mostly motion that ground excludes and discriminates at the same time but the older method worked well for years, it just takes a little longer.

Thanks for the info Brian - too bad I work in an industrial area (no real grassy areas to demo his detector) - perhaps I'll just use it for a few days in my part of town and get a feel for it so I can explain things to him. He may never use it anyway, but I would hate to see prime (WI) detecting land go to waste!

Guy brought his detector in but didn't have 3 fully charged 9v batteries but the machine worked somewhat (no sound from the speakers, had to use headphones) so I took it outside where I forgot there is a section of grass we could try it out on. Showed him how to adjust the controls and such, manual explained it pretty well. He tossed a quarter and nickel on the ground and the machine picked it up on the VF setting but neither TR setting. Again, it may have been due to weak batteries. Anyway I was getting a hit about 5 inches from the nickel and popped out some old pin button from some ad or campaign, who knows. The pen (see photo) was on top of it (about an inch or so down) and it still works LOL. Button is just a tad too rusty so we'll never know what was printed on it.

He's going to WI, in fact may be there by now. He told me the original owners used to leave food out for the Indians so no livestock was stolen. The Indians would wash out the pans the food was in and return it. Oh how I wish I had time to take some time off and drive up that way :yes:

Anywho, here what was dug up in the little time we tried his machine:

Attachments

• 47th_button.jpg
    47th_button.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 8,662
DJS said:
where abouts in wisconsin does he live?
No clue - he told me once, never heard of it and quickly forgot what he said. Too depressed knowing I won't be detecting it I guess, but like the Chicago Cubs, there's always next year :P

Just a follow up - he didn't detect the old homestead as there were people out in the nearby woods shooting off rifles. He didn't want to be mistaken for an animal LOL. He just checked around a house that was built up in the 30's and found a coupling a few inches down. He left the detector up there, wherever there is so I can't fool around with it *ugh*.

Md-3006

I have that detector and the box, I do not have the manual. I got it at a garage for $12. I am having some trouble using it, could be because I am new to detecting.

I have that detector and the box, I do not have the manual. I got it at a garage for $12. I am having some trouble using it, could be because I am new to detecting.

What are the odds of that?

I think this thread may be the ONLY one on the internet about the machine :lol:

Back
Top Bottom