Found a coin older than the town!

AlinMN

Elite Member
Here in Minnesota it is rare to find coins earlier than an Indian Head cent or a barber dime, while I've found dozens of those and even a seated dime 1877
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=151355
I have never found a coin that was older than the town I found it in. This time I did. I was hunting by an old ball field hoping to score some wheats or maybe a silver, but I wasn't having much luck, I was getting a lot of clad, even many quarters. I don't think this area has been hunted much because of all the quarters I am finding. Then after about an hour I get a 12-42 to
12-43 signal on the Etrac. Finally I thought a wheat cent! I flipped the plug and there it was only 3 or 4 inches deep. At first I thought it must be some token or something but it was so corroded. I cleaned it off a little and then I knew immediately what it was when I saw the 2. Turned out to be an 1867 two cent piece. It is really toast but I never thought I would find one here in MN. On the second picture you can barely read the date on the bottom. The towns first house was built in 1878 and the town was incorporated in 1881. Other coins I found 1 wheat, 1928 and several dollars in clad. I think I have found this summers honey hole since there are about 5 acres to hunt there. Best of Luck, AL

Attachments

• IMG_4232.jpg
    IMG_4232.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_4233.jpg
    IMG_4233.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 243
Congrats! I'm still hoping for something as uncommon, a 2 or 3 cent piece, half dime, etc...

Microwave a half inch of peroxide for 30 seconds or so and let it soak for a few minutes and then rub down with baking soda. Mine looked that bad or worse and now it looks AMAZING

Great find btw. I only have one in my career

Back
Top Bottom