Ca drought leads to one of my best hunts

NevTrac

Forum Supporter
I haven't been contributing much to this forum lately and I apologize for that.
This I have to share. Carcur and I got out for an all day hunt at a lake that has been stricken hard by the drought. I found some pretty cool stuff including wheat pennies, A '43 mercury dime, 3 Chinese cash coins, an old brass lipstick tube with lipstick intact, silver ring, and some various other stuff.

What really stands out from this hunt is the 20 trade tokens found in a 10' x 20' area. these tokens were so encrusted from being underwater for over a hundred years that even after 2 hours of tumbling I still could barely make out any details. I put together an electrolysis unit and the results after about 4 hours on each token were not bad.

The coolest part about this story is the story behind these tokens. What's the story you ask? Well, I don't know, that's the beauty of it. I can tell you this much though, after some research I learned these tokens are from all over Northern California, one is from Tonopah Nevada, and the one with the slot and arrow is a telephone token from Chicago. I was able to date one token at 1906/1907 so I can only assume they are all from the same era and lost by the same person.

Here's what I think happened. A guy moves out west from Chicago to try his hand at mining. He spends months traveling around from town to town prospecting and spending his earnings at local saloons and pool halls where he collects these tokens. One day he has a little to much to drink and takes a walk out on the pier at this lake where he proceeds to stumble and fall into the water, losing all his tokens he worked so hard to collect.

Anyway, thanks for reading my story and enjoy the photos

Attachments

• 20 tokens 007.JPG
    20 tokens 007.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 558
  • 20 tokens 008.JPG
    20 tokens 008.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 560
  • 20 tokens 009.JPG
    20 tokens 009.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 563
  • 20150408_231229-1_resized.jpg
    20150408_231229-1_resized.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 567
  • 20 tokens 013.JPG
    20 tokens 013.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 565
  • 20 tokens 014.JPG
    20 tokens 014.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 568
  • 20 tokens 015.JPG
    20 tokens 015.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:
You did a fantastic job cleaning them up! Really like the slot and arrow token.

great story. good post. Some of those tokens might be worth some collector value. So if I was you, I'd look them up in the guide-books :)

That Park Saloon token from Weed is a good one. Could fetch $100 -ish !

great story. good post. Some of those tokens might be worth some collector value. So if I was you, I'd look them up in the guide-books :)

Thanks for the info Tom! Richards token database has been very helpful so far, but I'm just getting started researching these things.

Gosh, that must have been exciting to see one old token after another pop out from the dry lake bed! :shock:

Thanks for sharing, Keith! Sounded like a plausible story on the loss of the tokens too!

HH,
Raphis
Dan

Gosh, that must have been exciting to see one old token after another pop out from the dry lake bed! :shock:

Thanks for sharing, Keith! Sounded like a plausible story on the loss of the tokens too!

HH,
Raphis
Dan

Thanks Dan! It was an amazing day!

Incredible hunt Keith!! :shock:

Only one question, I thought we closed the border to you Nev guys??! ;):roll::p

I got $50 on it! Really though. I'd go pretty hard on that one in a bidding scenario.

GREAT token finds for sure. Good saves all the way around

Nice finds Kieth. Interesting story about finding all those tokens in that small of an area. Kind of suprised you didn't come up with more silver.

I've been up that way for a few hunts over the past several weeks. Picked up a few silvers, some wheats and other stuff. I ran across a few tokens but no where near the number that you did. One of the tokens is the size of a nickle and made of brass and has "ORO Y PLATA' written on one side and "GOOD FOR 1 DRINK or CIGAR" on the other. I done a little looking around but so far can't seem to find any info on it.

I'll be up that way Tuesday and Wednesday. Maybe I'll run into you guys.

Nice finds Kieth. Interesting story about finding all those tokens in that small of an area. Kind of suprised you didn't come up with more silver.

I've been up that way for a few hunts over the past several weeks. Picked up a few silvers, some wheats and other stuff. I ran across a few tokens but no where near the number that you did. One of the tokens is the size of a nickle and made of brass and has "ORO Y PLATA' written on one side and "GOOD FOR 1 DRINK or CIGAR" on the other. I done a little looking around but so far can't seem to find any info on it.

I'll be up that way Tuesday and Wednesday. Maybe I'll run into you guys.

I think most of the silver has been picked clean. Does your token look anything like this one?http://fullsize-00021.tokencatalog.com/IMAGE_OBV_107886.jpg

The Goetz token caught my eye as I have an antique Goetz beer crate, somewhat less convienent to carry to a block party than the modern 24 pack. Anyway, I looked it up and found out its actually a pay phone token. Pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom