A gold question

Gold and aluminum are nowhere near same range on the AT PRO Tom.

SILVER and aluminum are close though...

Alright, I'm going to say it....

Your BOTH wrong....

You can take just about any metal, and get the right amount of it together and make it ring up whatever VDI you wish...

Just for example....

A silver dollar, an 8lb lead cannon ball used for downrigger trolling, a 5 inch long piece of copper pipe, an aluminum center cap off of a fancy truck wheel, a cast iron man hole cover, or a giant bar of GOLD... ALL of them could have a 95-99 VDI

Or....

A nickel, small silver chain, a .22 lead bullet, a little copper tack, a bigger iron spike, a balled up piece of aluminum foil, a huge 14K white gold ring, a tiny 14K white gold ring, or a small 10K yellow gold ring... All of them could hit right about the same as a nickel which is made of nickel...

The only thing that is almost consistent are items that are ALWAYS the same size like coins... Even coins don't always fit the numbers because corrosion can create a loss of metal, thus bringing the numbers down...

Just today I found a really ate up merc that came in below a copper penny...

All the above is why you cant pin gold, or any jewelry's metal composition down to any tight VDI range, because it comes in all different shapes and sizes..

Also you can take two 10K white gold rings that are EXACTLY the same size and look absolutely identical and one could be a VDI of 45 and the other 65.. Because sometimes nickel is used to make it white, other times silver is used....

I know, it really sucks, I hate being right sometimes..:( ;)

<*)))>{

Well, you know pull tabs can sound like gold....

Also, one other important thing to remember, is there is gold out there that tries to actually sound, and look like a pull tab...

Found this rare bird last season...

IMG_6064_zpse9e0b57b.jpg

IMG_6066_zps1f8366c1.jpg

IMG_6035_zps89935706.jpg

Now if that aint proof of a high level conspiracy built to drive us insane I don't know....

<*)))>{

I have confused foil, square tabs or even zinc for gold. : ) Larger aluminum pieces are high tones on at pro and I've never confused those for gold.

Ah, well sure: An entire aluminum can (for example) will read up at quarter or half dollar or whatever. Right ? Hence not reading low conductor. This is because size plays into the formula of the TID.

So for purposes of this discussion, I meant for commensurate coin and jewelry sized items. Not the larger pieces.

Your BOTH wrong....

You can take just about any metal, and get the right amount of it together and make it ring up whatever VDI you wish...

Just for example....

A silver dollar, an 8lb lead cannon ball used for downrigger trolling, a 5 inch long piece of copper pipe, an aluminum center cap off of a fancy truck wheel, a cast iron man hole cover, or a giant bar of GOLD... ALL of them could have a 95-99 VDI

Or....

A nickel, small silver chain, a .22 lead bullet, a little copper tack, a bigger iron spike, a balled up piece of aluminum foil, a huge 14K white gold ring, a tiny 14K white gold ring, or a small 10K yellow gold ring... All of them could hit right about the same as a nickel which is made of nickel...

The only thing that is almost consistent are items that are ALWAYS the same size like coins... Even coins don't always fit the numbers because corrosion can create a loss of metal, thus bringing the numbers down...

All the above is why you cant pin gold, or any jewelry's metal composition down to any tight VDI range, because it comes in all different shapes and sizes..

Also you can take two 10K white gold rings that are EXACTLY the same size and look absolutely identical and one could be a VDI of 45 and the other 65.. Because sometimes nickel is used to make it white, other times silver is used....

<*)))>{

Good post Ice-scratcher.

There was a dealer I knew once, who was telling customers, during demonstrations and training, that they could learn the sounds of gold versus aluminum. That there was subtle "tone" and "softness" type difference in the audio. Sure: he wasn't saying it was 100%, but ... still was very-much suggesting that there is a tonal difference that could be learned. I disputed him on it for awhile, but then gave up.

What was crazy though, was now a bunch of his customers would go out in the field all day to junky parks. Trying their durndest to wish they could also learn this trick. Convinced it could be done "if only they weren't so lowly and inexperienced". Doh!

Your BOTH wrong....

All of them could hit right about the same as a nickel which is made of nickel...

<*)))>{
Actually, a US Nickel is made from only 25% nickel.....it's mostly copper (75%)....:yes:

Your BOTH wrong....

Just for example....

Or....

<*)))>{
when he said aluminum. ..I thought of cans

.they are not in same range...period

When I am in a certain place (like when I know gold can be there) Then I will dig some trashy sounding signals. I found a gold earring that sounded like foil.
(That was with the AT pro)

Back
Top Bottom