Two more nice old coins from the "2 Cent Spot"

MSCguy

Over the last 3 weeks or so I have posted here about my adventures on a limestone bluff overlooking the Hudson River. I'm learning more about the property as I explore and detect it. There was a structure of some sort here. The amount of square nails is amazing and have found chunks of coal the size of softballs. Definitely how they heated the structure.

I have pinpointed the iron patch where the structure stood. No stone foundation, which is odd for this area. A common building technique in the 1700 and 1800's was to use the flat stone locals call "blue stone". It gets the wood structure off the ground.

Going low and slow through the iron with my Nox 800 using the 6 inch coil. This is woods hunting, so lots of nooks and crannies to get into. Got that sweet tone along with the 16 - 17 VDI number. About 4 inches down a penny sized coin pops out. A very thick penny! A little rub in this particular soil and I saw Indian headdress and date - 1863. My previous fatty IHP here was 1862 .

Fifteen minutes and 20 feet further on I hit that beautiful tone and 16 - 17 VDI again. This one was a chore to dig as it was under roots and I did not want to use my digger for fear of damaging what I assumed was another Indian. Using a broken stick as my digger, out pops another fat penny size coin. A little love rub and I see something familiar, because I dug my first ever about 2 weeks ago not far away. My second Flying Eagle cent is in my hand! Same date as my first - 1857! I am so stoked!!

This spot is amazing. Not sure how much more there is to find. I have pounded it pretty hard, but a spot like this is never hunted out. Too many places for something good to hide.

Attachments

• finds923.jpg
    finds923.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 1863ihp.jpg
    1863ihp.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 151
  • fe3.jpg
    fe3.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 151
  • ihpfe.jpg
    ihpfe.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 6oldies2.jpg
    6oldies2.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 144
wow ,2 FE's ,2 two centers ,2 very old IH's all in great shape!

wow ,2 FE's ,2 two centers ,2 very old IH's all in great shape!

Actually, it is one 2 center and one Shield nickle. And yes, the ground has been kind overall. Thanks for your comment! Yesterday I did have to step back in amazement. Who finds two Flying Eagles in 2 weeks?

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Thank you! It can be an exciting and boring place to hunt at the same time. Exciting because given the location, anything over the last 300 years is possible. Boring because you can swing for an hour without a significant find.

But I will continue searching because my gut tells me there is more cool stuff here.

Outstanding finds, congrats on the Ihp and Flying Eagle. And now you have two. God bless, most if lucky will find only one. Me still looking. Great spot you have there. Good luck. Mark

Yes it’s hard to get away from those old sights! I recently went back to an old school that’s just a field now from the 1800”s where I had found a couple Seated coins, and hunted for 2 hours. And Nothing. I got desperate and dug super iffy targets digging up square nails and such. I’m certain there’s another coin there. And pretty sure I’ll go back again🤣

Outstanding finds, congrats on the Ihp and Flying Eagle. And now you have two. God bless, most if lucky will find only one. Me still looking. Great spot you have there. Good luck. Mark

Thank you, Mark! I realize I have been very fortunate to have found this spot. Hope to find more cool stuff, and hope you find a bucketlister as well.

Very nice finds...congrats!

Thank you!

Yes it’s hard to get away from those old sights! I recently went back to an old school that’s just a field now from the 1800”s where I had found a couple Seated coins, and hunted for 2 hours. And Nothing. I got desperate and dug super iffy targets digging up square nails and such. I’m certain there’s another coin there. And pretty sure I’ll go back again🤣

I understand the feeling!

Wow! Congrats! Great finds, hunt description and photos. That location with those kinds of finds would draw me back also. I'm already re-hunting places that have few returns for the amount of time I put in. It sure is very rewarding when you do finally find something worthwhile though. I appreciate those "gotcha, you sneaky little varmint moments".

Back
Top Bottom