Clues to possible detecting spots

jimther

Elite Member
I've seen a few recent posts asking for help in how to find detecting spots near where the original poster lives.

One thing that might be overlooked (by newbies especially) is street and road name clues.

These days, fewer folks are using a book of maps for the area where we live or in adjacent towns & counties. Google maps, WAZE, GPS devices etc., seem to have replaced the paper map books.

In my area, near Boston, there was always an assortment of large paper-bound map books on display in stationery and other stores. Not so much any more. In the back of each book, was an alphabetical street index, by town. I used to need these to look up directions before traveling to a client's home.

Often, while my wife would be shopping in a store, I would pull out the map books and start browsing the street names in the index for clues to older places in these street names. Here's a few examples of street names that might be leads to current or past places that could be worth checking out.

~ School Street
~ Church Street
~ Mill Street
~ Grove Street
~ Old Farm Road
~ and likely many other good clues

Next step is to figure out how that street got it's name; Was or is there a school or church or mill on this street? No? Use older maps to figure out WHERE these were, and what's there now. Usually a Grove street would have been the road to where folks went to picnic "in the grove".

Even though I don't use the map books now so much for getting driving directions, I have hung on to them for detecting research.

Good luck.

Jim

That's Some Really good Info Jim.

This is EXACTLY why I love this forum.. sometimes little tidbits like this opens up new avenues and ways of thinking that .. well I hadn't thought of !

Thanks For sharing your knowledge !!

Here's a few more

I just browsed the online ([real estate] Tax Assessor Database for a few towns near me and noticed a few more interesting street and road names that would be worth checking out if I were researching places to detect in these towns.

Here's a sampling - With these and the previous list I mentioned in my original post, I think you'll get the idea of what to look for.

Jim

~ Park Street
~ Chapel Street
~ Meetinghouse Road
~ Old Cart Path
~ Powderhouse Road
~ Orchard Lane
~ Railroad Street
~ Stagecoach Road.

Remember, if you find these in an older town's street index, these streets may have been named a hundred or more years ago and the original place the street was named for may be long gone, so use older maps also to see if you can find the namesake for that street.

Jim

Very good tip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it. I feel like chances would be better on such a street than on “Electronics parkway “.

That's Some Really good Info Jim.

This is EXACTLY why I love this forum.. sometimes little tidbits like this opens up new avenues and ways of thinking that .. well I hadn't thought of !

Thanks For sharing your knowledge !!

Thanks for your comments LOS3R, jkbemdavis and SoOregonMd. Glad you enjoyed the information.

Jim

In a city that I'm familiar with, (I detected there my rookie season)
and need to return too...
I remember my grandmother telling me about a street and how it was named,
It's named "PLANK ROAD "
because they used wooden planks or boards to travel on,
When she told me, I could envision old Model T's getting stuck in the mud & horse drawn wagons leaving ruts down the street on a rain soaked mud road...
Now, if I could just go there during a street tear out. :?:

Don't forget the most obvious one, Main Street. Main Street was usually where the post office, community house and town hall were located. The library and school may have been on that street as well.

My local university has historical maps of the area that are digitized and available on line. I was browsing them and it’s amazing how many streets have been realigned or names of streets have changed. I’ve found multiple locations of old schools that have been torn down.

Back
Top Bottom