Best Research Platform (or set of platforms.)

W0FGG

What is (in your mind) the best research platform to use for a beginner?

I have been wanting to research my Aunts property, but I am having a problem deciding what research platform to use.

Anything you have - I am not sure what you mean by research platform - but if you meant a research technique, here is what I do:
I started with the internet (checking old maps and anything I could find online- we actually have some old local newspapers online that go back into the early 1800s and have been digitized), then local libraries and historic societies, then asking the local folks to see what further information they could give.

The stories get more and more fleshed out as I continue to research, and I am always learning new things.

Explain "research platform" :?::?:

Anything you have - I am not sure what you mean by research platform - but if you meant a research technique, here is what I do:
I started with the internet (checking old maps and anything I could find online- we actually have some old local newspapers online that go back into the early 1800s and have been digitized), then local libraries and historic societies, then asking the local folks to see what further information they could give.

The stories get more and more fleshed out as I continue to research, and I am always learning new things.

I'm talking Google Earth, old magazines/newspapers, etc.

sanborn maps, old topographic/aerial maps, google earth, old plat maps

People who live in the area.

While everyone goes to the web for research, it's not necessarily worth a hoot unless you can confirm it. People in the area are you best bet. While you MAY be able to find maps in your area, the chances are, so has everyone else because it's public information.

My two small cache finds came from a combination of research, but a lot came through piecing together wrong information found online, and actual information people casually talked about.

Finding the old train depot in a small town was what led to my discoveries. The depot was NEVER on any map I was able to locate. Not a single one.

Back
Top Bottom