Where to request permission?

slimpickens

Dear Friends ... This may have already been covered but this SC needs an update. In our local borough, municipality, district there are a few small parks, picnic grounds, playgrounds, etc. Private property process access I understand or at least I think I do.

Would like know where to start the inquiry? Police dept, Mayor, Borough officials? Perhaps where to get the final authorization or clear path for MDing. :?: . If this has already been covered somewhere feel free to tell me where to go?

This an any other information, an assistance would be very much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to help with this matter. I'm sure it can get complicated.:yes: SP USAF 62-66

In many cases it's legal to detect public property (parks, picnic grounds, etc). What town/borough do you live in? Some areas have regulations forbidding it, but those are few and far between.

Don't ask, look it up. If they don't mention metal detecting it's not illegal. Every park is going to have rules against digging/damaging turf, but unless they specify metal detectors ignore all that and just go. Asking permission is the quickest way to get a no.

In many cases it's legal to detect public property (parks, picnic grounds, etc). What town/borough do you live in? Some areas have regulations forbidding it, but those are few and far between.

Where would I look to find the town/borough regulations concerning this matter? Live in Riverside/town and Rushtown/borough Pa/State.

Never, ever call a public official to ask about detecting. 99% of the time some bureaucrat without authority or citation to a statute will tell you no even if perfectly legal. research it. If you find no ordinance or specific sign at public areas go for it. Good luck.

Calling Tom on the white courtesy phone....

Don't ask, look it up. If they don't mention metal detecting it's not illegal. Every park is going to have rules against digging/damaging turf, but unless they specify metal detectors ignore all that and just go. Asking permission is the quickest way to get a no.

Thank you .... Where would be the best place to find these regulations or find them posted on site?

You make some interesting points. I thought about using this approach even if MD is not specified in the rules. Digging/damaging turf could be enough to get you their attention. However there is probably some concerned individual would call police. But can they may confiscate your equipment even on a technicality, etc? Thanks again for sharing. Will have to search this out further. SP

I was up in Atlanta, GA over Christmas with my girlfriend. I looked up her town's ordnances online...there was an explicit law against metal detecting in city parks and recreation sites. The cities around her had none, though. And the schools are county property and they also had no rules against it. So I beeped the schools. Didn't find anything spectacular, but I got out and beeped, so a good time was had by all involved. Which was just me. Pretty sure my lady thinks that I'm nuts for goofing off in freezing weather. Whatevs.

Point being, it is 2019...your local jurisdiction should have local laws/rules/ordnances online. Google that and see. If you can't find anything, just go scan around some parks. Declare ignorance if anybody makes a deal out of it. Just don't be digging up indian bones or something obviously illegal.

Thank you .... Where would be the best place to find these regulations or find them posted on site?

You make some interesting points. I thought about using this approach even if MD is not specified in the rules. Digging/damaging turf could be enough to get you their attention. However there is probably some concerned individual would call police. But can they may confiscate your equipment even on a technicality, etc? Thanks again for sharing. Will have to search this out further. SP

Most towns of a decent size have a website with a parks dept list of rules. just google the town name parks dept rules and regulations. If you're going to call and ask permission don't ask if you can metal detect, ask if you and your buddies can bring in a keg of beer. they will say no and direct you to the website with their rules if it doesn't mention metal detecting it's not illegal, it could still be against policy, but the worst that will happen is you will be asked to leave. There are National Parks and probably some state parks that hunting could get your equipment confiscated, but they make it obvious you ain't supposed to be there.

I can't tell you where to go in your area but I will say in PA stay off of state game lands. It is posted that you may not take anything....anything from that land and they have stiff penalties including confiscating your gear if they want to be Richards! Here in the Harrisburg area there are very old home sites on game land but none of us will risk it.

Also, I agree not to ask, if it is public land I would detect if I could not find any info banning it. You may be asked to leave, stay friendly and you will be fine. I was asked to leave a park by a police officer who was kind enough to explain that someone who could see me where I was standing called and he had to respond. He suggested I leave and when I return I should avoid that area.

http://www.sunburypa.org/parks---public-property.html

Right here is where you check for permission. As long as you're wearing shoes, don't cuss, spit or fight, leave the bicycle at home, and refrain from stick throwing you should be OK. I treat parks better than my own yard. I do everything I can to keep my plugs neat. If the grounds too dry or too wet to dig without making a mess, stay home. Stay off the obvious sensitive places like memorials and putting greens. If it's public property that you can walk your dog , play football and picnic without the need of permission you should be able to detect.

I see several others have already chimed in with the wise advise of ... essentially ...: "Don't be the latest victim of no-on-cared-till-you-asked" psychology. And "look it up yourself". And that if there's not a specific "no md'ing" rule (in print, that you looked up for yourself), then presto: It's not dis-allowed.

Thank you .... Where would be the best place to find these regulations or find them posted on site?...

Google is your friend. In this day-&-age, it's becoming normal for ANY public entity (city, county, etc...) to have their muni-codes, park rules, etc... SOMEWHERE on-line. Eg.: Dogs on leash, no fireworks, etc...

If you STILL can't find them, you are welcome to walk in or call and ask "where can I find a list of all the rules applying to the park (or forest or beach or .... whatever).?" If they ask "what is it that you wanted to know?", you stick to your guns and say : "To find the list of rules of usage".

Eg.: closes at sunset, group event permit costs- if-any, etc.... They should direct you to where it exists on the net, or in binder form down at city hall, etc...

... Digging/damaging turf could be enough to get you their attention. However there is probably some concerned individual would call police. But can they may confiscate your equipment even on a technicality, etc? ...

Huh ? If you leave no trace of your presence, then you have not damagED the turf, right ? As for someone potentially calling (simply because they THINK you're going to damage): You can never solve that. In this hobby, you are never guaranteed that everyone will love you and roll out red carpets for you. Because, yes, we're in a hobby with "connotations" (esp. if you're in nice-manicured turf). You have to grow a thick skin. Go at lower traffic times and AVOID such kill-joy lookie-lous. Presto, problem solved.

And ... no ... No one has EVER had their "equipment confiscated" for "damaging turf", where, oh where, oh where, are you getting such fears from ? Seriously, the worst that you'd get is a "scram". Just give lip service, and come back when that singular lookie-lou isn't present. You're looking for the wedding ring your wife lost there the previous week, etc.... Don't over-think it. The vast majority of times passer-bys are ACTUALLY INTRIGUED and nice. Asking things like "what's the best thing you've ever found?" and "where can I buy one of those? " etc....

Get over the notion that "everyone hates this " and "I'm doing something wrong" attitude. Otherwise, that persona will simply become a self-fulfilling psychology. Perceived by others, spoil your own fun, etc....

... by a police officer who was kind enough to explain that someone who could see me where I was standing called and he had to respond. He suggested I leave and when I return I should avoid that area.

BINGO ! I've had that happen before too. Eg.: Some lookie-lou thinks you'll harm the grass, or that you're a pervert, or that your detector bothered her dog, etc... And often time the cop or gardener is just "responding to miss lookie-lou" (but could personally care less).

On one occasion, after some casual chit-chat, the cop confided in me that a certain busy-body at a corner-high rise apartment thinks they're the "self-appointed monitor" . Of any and all things that go on there. And said that if I go to the other end of the park, out-of-view of this corner, that all would be fine.

As you can see: If I had not engaged in that casual chit-chat, I'd have never have known that.

All-too-often md'rs get a "scram" like that, and assume it's gospel law. Or that they must now "go fight" it at city hall, and "seek clarifications" (thus opening up more cans of worms). When in fact, 99% of these (unless there was a true rule) are simply flukes and isolated incidents, where .... they never amount to anything.

When I travel around, Unless 1) I see a specific sign, or 2) unless it's an obvious historic sensitive monument, 3) unless there's an archie convention going on, I just go !

http://www.sunburypa.org/parks---public-property.html

Right here is where you check for permission. As long as you're wearing shoes, don't cuss, spit or fight, leave the bicycle at home, and refrain from stick throwing you should be OK. I treat parks better than my own yard. I do everything I can to keep my plugs neat. If the grounds too dry or too wet to dig without making a mess, stay home. Stay off the obvious sensitive places like memorials and putting greens. If it's public property that you can walk your dog , play football and picnic without the need of permission you should be able to detect.

l'm beginning to get the picture. With The link sample that you posted I should be able to use the same format to search out the areas I'm interested and get the ordinances, rules, laws, tax, permit, parking regulations/restrictions for that area an/where they apply. That will help get started and to be able to plan a warmer day or Spring search. Thanks you and the other forum family members for taking the time to share and get my feet on the ground. SP

Appreciate the forum chiming in on this. Thanks for taking the time to post Tom. The input and suggestions has been excellent and given me a basis of where to search & look for the rules, laws, regulations, ordinances, etc of the municipality that I'm planning on searching

Just got a 6" coil setup on the equinox 800. It has a night light so I'll be able to put it to good use. :grin: SP

Get over the notion that "everyone hates this " and "I'm doing something wrong" attitude. Otherwise, that persona will simply become a self-fulfilling psychology.

That's some of the best advice you'll ever get.:thumbsup:

Its all about timing....

(Mud-Puppy auto reply)..."Due to the Govt Shutdown...I'm knee deep in CSA buckles and breastplates in Gettysburg, and then off to Yellowstone for Gold nuggets" Allegiant Air!

.Stopping by the Custer 'RunNGun battlefield... 'Little Bighorn' fracas of historical note..gotta take a squirt out here on the high Prairie outta the rental car... ,

May as well fire up the rig and give it a quick sweep since theres no Rangers around on the shutdown and off their pay.....Lets 'Little Big Man' this mutherhubbard for a little ...Plus, smoking under the Montana Big Night Sky is quite something...stars all over the place! Got the Wolf/Blood Mooner eqlipts coming up in like notime days!..

Y'all gotta get to Montana if you can..for the mooner ecquippch or to pull the Custer Run N gun relics while the dot gov Rangers are off pay...its a chance in a Lifetime!:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom