White's DF returned

KENNE-BILL

Around mid June I picked up a White's Dual Field from a guy down in Waikiki, his story was he found it in a dumpster the night prior. The guy seemed a little sketchy/street hustler type and was clueless about the detector, after chatting for a few minutes he offers it to me for $40.00 to which I countered with what I had on me - $20.00, sold! The detector was in a large duffle bag with some other items including a prepaid cell phone, I figured the owner would be calling. After about a week with no phone calls I placed an ad on Craig's List lost and found which some of you Hawaii guys probably saw, didn't get any replies except for people wanting to buy the detector. Finally after about three weeks the owner calls his phone and it turns out he is a vet and had been at Tripler Hospital the whole time being treated for a medical emergency, I agreed to hold the detector for him until his release and eventually was able to return it and his other personal belongings that were in the duffle bag. I'd been curious about the Dual Field in the past and did take it out for a few hunts along with doing some comparisons against other detectors I own, in the end I was happy to have been able to test drive a DF and more importantly help out a fellow hunter. :cool:

Very nice story! Glad you got to try out the DF and help out a vet too! I hope you got your $20 back!

Nice return!! So did the vet give you or know any details? Was it stolen out of his car?

The duffle bag w/detector was apparently left behind when the vet (Allen) initially had a medical emergency, I didn't ask but am assuming he was taken by ambulance to the hospital. The person that I bought the detector from told me he had noticed the bag sitting unattended for some hours next to a hotel wall, when he went to check on it in the evening it had been placed in a dumpster by the manager of the hotel. This person then checked with the hotel manager and was given permission to retrieve the bag from the dumpster, that's the story he gave me. When I met Allen I found out he was also missing a backpack with some personal documents and meds, couldn't help him there but he was happy nonetheless to have his detector back. BTW, how I was first approached about buying the detector is I was walking down the sidewalk in Waikiki with my Excalibur and scoop in hand, the guy took notice and came up telling me about how he had found a yellow one of those last night (pointing to my Excal).

Back
Top Bottom