Another pull tab post

Pulltabby

Forum Supporter
I see some great hunters here congrats, with a ton of gold finds, is there some subtle difference in the beeps or screen to separate the trash signals from a gold signal? or at least a better ratio of trashure to treasure. thanks

oj/bc

ps mainly hunt parks

Last edited:
If you want to find gold in parks, be prepared to dig tonnes of pull tabs, canslaw, foil etc. If you skip these targets, you are potentially skipping gold.

This 9k ring which I found earlier this year rang up like a pull tab. If I would've discriminated pull tabs, I would've missed this one. Glad I didn't! Good luck! :)

Attachments

• 9k gold ring.jpg
    9k gold ring.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 205
As far as sounds on my Tesoros only the biggest gold pieces, like large class rings, actually sound different than other targets, enough that I can tell, all other smaller pieces don't sound any different than any other good target nor does gold sound different on my Fishers either...no matter what size they are.
When it come to gold I go by target behavior and listen for the solid tones and look for solid stable numbers on my screen units.

For me gold seems to have always come in very solid on all my detectors vs most, (but not all), trash that seems to be a bit more jumpy.
This method became more successful for me only after learning my detectors as well as possible and studying trash behavior and gold very closely and how it behaves because over the years I went from digging a ton of trash to trying to dig as little as possible.
All of my gold has been shallow at about 5" or less also, deeper gold might well act differently.

I have dug about 3 dozen pieces of gold in 7 years mostly in extreme trashy parks, the bulk of them after changing to this high percentage type method of digging mostly just the more solid signals I come across.
I could miss some great treasure of all kinds doing it this way but my track record is shockingly and surprisingly good so I don't let the what if's bother me so much anymore.
I figure if I dug way more solid signals on any given hunt and avoid spending time on the jumpier ones I have a mathematically better shot at the good stuff and that math works for me, or has so far.
I exert way less energy and spend way less time wasred and still manage to find some great treasure this way.

There is a local park right near me that I have hit a hundreds of times, it is old and is infested with iron and trash and has been hit for decades so most consider it hunted out.
This is what I dug on one hunt where I actually did dig every signal that wasn't iron while learning to use my first DD coil a few years ago.
For some this is an insane type of site to hunt, but me, I am crazy and I love a good challenge.

photostudio_1508424305042.jpg

In this same park I was hunting an area where there was a ton of trash, iron, can slaw and about a thousand tabs of all kinds.
At this time I was heavy into this high percentage method.
On this hunt I got signals on all kinds of things and in particular about 2 dozen or more beaver tail tabs and some larger sta-tabs which on my F70 all came in at about a 41...low to mid 40's anyway.
I dug a few more solid ones but avoided the rest because they all jumped a little too much from at least one way but also from more than one direction.
Then I came across a signal that was a super solid 41-42 that never changed on any pass from several directions...that one I had to dig.
It turned out to be this 8.8 gram 14k huge religious medal that I believe was standing up vertical at 4" deep.
It was so big and blingy my wife didn't want it...a very rare thing in my world.
It was a good choice to decide to dig this one very solid signal.

In this same park I went on to find several old nickels, buffs and even a deep V, several silver dimes, many Indians and even a seated dime, Barber quarter and silver Peace dollar using this method so not quite as hunted out as most believe.
I found them all going after the more solid signals while avoiding about a million others that weren't so solid.

This high percentage method isn't perfect but because I hunt so many trashy sites doing it this way keeps me sane and in the hobby and seems to find me many keepers without a whole lot of extra, useless digging and spinning my wheels.
I had to learn the language of my detectors very well to have this much success, however, and BTW a lot of my gold and many other great treasures were found with the F2 and sniper coil, (which I notice you also have), using these same rigid rules.

Just one way to do it but the way I prefer.

Attachments

• photostudio_1508498385684.jpg
    photostudio_1508498385684.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
I agree with what digger27 says. Couldn't have said it better myself. My hunting style is similar to his. Just yesterday I dug a gold ring from a hunted out park. The signal was solid maybe jumped one number up 31,32 signal on my patriot. To me the signal sounded clean,crisp. I was running my sensitivity at 30,-1 threshold,1 on my discrimination. Teknetics patriot.

.... Just yesterday I dug a gold ring from a hunted out park. The signal was solid maybe jumped one number up 31,32 signal on my patriot. To me the signal sounded clean,crisp. ....

Be aware that this could be the trick of subconscious "selective memory". It works like this: Each time we md'rs stop to dig a target, we say to ourselves "this one sounds different". But when it turns out to be junk, we immediately forget our premonitions . Or say to ourselves "yeah, come to think of it, it *did* sound kind of junky".

But when FINALLY we dig a gold ring, only THEN do we remember our premonitions and think "aha! I knew it !"

Same psychology of when you wake up in the morning to the song on your radio alarm clock that you were JUST dreaming about. You think "aha! I'm psychic". But what's really happening is that we dream 100's of dreams per night, none of which come true. And you promptly forget them within 10 seconds of waking up. But when one coincidentally comes true, only THEN do you remember it.

I see some great hunters here congrats, with a ton of gold finds, is there some subtle difference in the beeps or screen to separate the trash signals from a gold signal? or at least a better ratio of trashure to treasure. thanks

oj/bc

ps mainly hunt parks

pulltabby: The only thing you can do, to up your gold rings and lower your junk count, is "notching". That is to reject commonly recurring junk items. Eg.: round tabs, smaller foil, etc... And dig the rings that did not read into those ranges. Because tabs (assuming not hit with mowers or bent up somehow) will read pretty consistently on the TID. And most foil tends to be smaller wads.

But be aware: You will indeed dig junk still (esp. where mowers have made can slaw), and you will indeed miss gold rings that fell into the exact areas you were rejecting. But notching is an effective tool for places where the junk items are recurring TID zones.

As for sound or tone differences: There are guys who think there *is* a difference that can be learned. Even a few dealers I know of, who should know better, yet keep making the claim.

Here's how you solve that, if you ever bump into those claims: Simply invite the person to the nearest urban blighted junky park. See how many gold rings they can find, and how much junk they can leave behind. Is it 1/50 ? 1/100 ? etc... At what point does it become random odds ? You will never find anyone to take you up on this challenge. Instead: You will hear the sounds of crickets.

As long as aluminum and alloyed gold share the same conductivity, on a size-per-size basis, they will share similar TID and sounds. Gold jewelry comes in infinite sizes, shapes, karats, etc...

If you want more gold, and less junk, try swim beaches . Or if doing turf, be more selective on type of turf: Upscale soccer fields or athletic fields where no picnicking eating/drinking occurs. Because athletics create frolicking motions. And/or people taking off their jewelry "for safekeeping" before they head on to the field to play. And whenever you take out eating/drinking, you have much less trash. Eg.: tabs for cans, foil for food-wrap.

I just dug 2 10k gold rings in the last 3 weeks using a at pro and they rang up exactly the same as a pull tab. I nerve used to dig those signals. After digging those rings, I have been digging a lot of pull tabs nowadays. Good luck!

Thanks guys, I have found gold like most in the hobby but has been hard to find last year or so .My park hunts are trashy so will try a few things mentioned.

hh

I just came in from hunting a picnic area at a local lake, very, very trashy.... In one area under some trees where there wasn't much grass at all I couldn't believe how many beaver tail tabs were just laying on top of the ground.

I just came in from hunting a picnic area at a local lake, very, very trashy.... In one area under some trees where there wasn't much grass at all I couldn't believe how many beaver tail tabs were just laying on top of the ground.

Yea I hear you, heck even in the middle of nowhere forest hunt they show up. hh

Back
Top Bottom