What could possibly go wrong

No, I am pretty sure we wouldn't, but those who did want to use that service I would VERY strongly suggest that they have hidden cameras recording the inside of their house so they will know for sure if the delivery person did only as they were supposed to do.

I wouldn't enter someones house, even with permission, if I worked at Walmart. This is a very fine line that they are walking, not that they are doing anything wrong...but accidents are going to happen because of this. Imagine if they get the address mixed up. I'm sure there are protections like knocking first and such, but this is not going to end well.

I wouldn't enter someones house, even with permission, if I worked at Walmart. This is a very fine line that they are walking, not that they are doing anything wrong...but accidents are going to happen because of this. Imagine if they get the address mixed up. I'm sure there are protections like knocking first and such, but this is not going to end well.

You bring up a good point, other things have the potential for trouble, suppose a neighbor who isn't aware of what's going on calls the police and things get out of control from a lack of understanding.

Also, suppose the delivery person trips and falls and wants to somehow blame it on the owner, from a loose rug, a toy on the floor, ect.

Also, IF the delivery person was not trustworthy, they could "case" the house to let a friend know what was visible to steal, TVs, ect.

Yep, there is the potential for various problems.

This is my nightmare. Some minimum wage employee entering my house, scoping out my belongings, basically free to pocket whatever they can, abuse pets, pee in shampoo bottles. Never in a million years would I even consider this.

What a joke. I'm a bonded/insured service tech, but I still won't enter a home unless there's a person there of legal age (18 and up).

Did anybody else grow up with the Culligan man refilling the water softener. They had a key and would yell "CULLIGAN MAN" as they came in.

My concern would be who has the key to the house. I would consider this if I had a electronic key pad lock, and some serious cameras. If I was the walmart worker I'd want a body cam. Even if the delivery guy was honest, anything that comes up missing would be blamed on them.
Walmart can't stop employees from stealing from the store, how could they stop them from stealing from your house.

I know a [fairly] honest mechanic, who would never do work or sell parts you don't need, but if you have a floorboard full of change he will grab a few coins, not enough to notice, and always less than a dollar. In 30 years he never stole a buck from a customer and he's proud of it. The last time I seen him he had almost filled his 2nd 5 gallon water jug. His plan is to use it for the down-payment on a new truck when he retires.

You bring up a good point, other things have the potential for trouble, suppose a neighbor who isn't aware of what's going on calls the police and things get out of control from a lack of understanding.

Also, suppose the delivery person trips and falls and wants to somehow blame it on the owner, from a loose rug, a toy on the floor, ect.

Also, IF the delivery person was not trustworthy, they could "case" the house to let a friend know what was visible to steal, TVs, ect.

Yep, there is the potential for various problems.

That's what I was thinking... I don't have the upmost trust for Walmart employees, or just about any company employees for that matter.

Did anybody else grow up with the Culligan man refilling the water softener. They had a key and would yell "CULLIGAN MAN" as they came in.

My concern would be who has the key to the house. I would consider this if I had a electronic key pad lock, and some serious cameras. If I was the walmart worker I'd want a body cam. Even if the delivery guy was honest, anything that comes up missing would be blamed on them.
Walmart can't stop employees from stealing from the store, how could they stop them from stealing from your house.

I know a [fairly] honest mechanic, who would never do work or sell parts you don't need, but if you have a floorboard full of change he will grab a few coins, not enough to notice, and always less than a dollar. In 30 years he never stole a buck from a customer and he's proud of it. The last time I seen him he had almost filled his 2nd 5 gallon water jug. His plan is to use it for the down-payment on a new truck when he retires.

We've had honest mechanics too, one I could tell easily because when our vehicle made a noise and I had no idea what was causing it, called me later and said it was just a small part that cost a couple dollars or so, he could have easily made up a story and said it was something much more expensive.

It didn't happen where I grew up in Maryland, but a friend of mine that grew up in South Carolina said the milkman who delivered milk would actually come in the person's house very early in the morning and put the milk in their refrigerator as back then they generally didn't lock their doors at night. We had milk delivery when I was a kid but the milkman left it in the insulated milk case on the front porch meant for such deliveries.

That's what I was thinking... I don't have the upmost trust for Walmart employees, or just about any company employees for that matter.

It's sad because I'm sure there are many honest employees, but the dishonest ones make you leery not knowing which ones you can trust.

Not that there were no dishonest people back in the 1950's or earlier, but it did seem that back then it was somewhat easier to trust people moreso than today and that is sad as I like to try to give each individual the benefit of the doubt when possible.

I like sleeping good at night and believe in doing what's right and when I worked as a night auditor / desk clerk at a motel I had 4 times I can remember that a guest paying in cash for a several night stay overpaid by $100.00 without realizing it, I didn't even have to think about it, as soon as I realized it I gave them back the extra $100.00 telling them they gave me too much by mistake and they'd usually just give me a strange look as if it was so unusual for anyone to do that, but I'd just tell them "I sleep good at night" :lol: I have to believe there are many more employees in other jobs that would do the same. Look at the detectorists on the forum who try to return class rings that have enough identification to try to do so.

I know a [fairly] honest mechanic, who would never do work or sell parts you don't need, but if you have a floorboard full of change he will grab a few coins, not enough to notice, and always less than a dollar. In 30 years he never stole a buck from a customer....

How is taking their change any better, if not worse? At least if he's offering parts the customer can decline or go somewhere else, what he's doing now is just straight theft.

How is taking their change any better, if not worse? At least if he's offering parts the customer can decline or go somewhere else, what he's doing now is just straight theft.

That's probably why he said that mechanic was "fairly" honest instead of "completely" honest :lol:

That probably why he said "fairly" honest instead of "completely" honest :lol:

Reminds me of that movie "Office Space" where they wrote a computer code that skimmed like 1/100th of a cent off every bank transaction and in a week had made like several hundreds of thousands of dollars. But nobody noticed, so it was okay right? :roll:

Reminds me of that movie "Office Space" where they wrote a computer code that skimmed like 1/100th of a cent off every bank transaction and in a week had made like several hundreds of thousands of dollars. But nobody noticed, so it was okay right? :roll:

Not at all, dishonesty is dishonesty no matter if it's noticed or the amount.

You reminded me of the movie, Superman 2 I think, where the employee who had computer smarts found a way to skim all the 1/2 cents that floated in cyberspace from people's paychecks that didn't come out to the exact penny.

Oh no way, I would never, ever, ever allow any stranger in my home when I was not there, and very few even when I am! I don't want some strange human or otherwise pokin' around my place and handling my stuff, not that I have anything all that super fancy but dang! Can you imagine!! :lol:

The person at Wallyworld who came up with this one must be a real dingbat... or maybe has a kid just out of jail who really needs an entry level job... :lol:

It's not any better, but when the automotive industry is full of outright thieves a little missing change doesn't bother me. I have sent my mother to him.
Never leave anything you don't want stolen in a car you leave for service. I am amazed at how many people leave guns under their seat, or stacks of cash. Most shops the guys doing the oil changes are entry level, barely above minimum wage workers, even the good ones will pick up enough change to buy a coke, the bad ones steal stuff to buy coke. The fairly honest ones justify it as getting their tip in advance. Do you tip the oil change guy or car wash dude? If you have a floorboard full of change you do.

Not at all, dishonesty is dishonesty no matter if it's noticed or the amount.

You reminded me of the movie, Superman 2 I think, where the employee who had computer smarts found a way to skim all the 1/2 cents that floated in cyberspace from people's paychecks that didn't come out to the exact penny.

I worked years ago before direct deposit in a shop that the Snap-on tool man visited on pay day. He would cash checks from the fattest stack of cash I have ever seen, but he would keep the change. The guys were happy to pay anywhere from a penny to 99 cents to get them cashed. If you cash enough checks that would be a nice tax free bonus. This was a union shop with 20 employees. I was the the lowest paid floor sweeper. I'm sure he was going through 10 grand at just our shop. It was rumored to be a mafia deal. I never asked.

I don't trust anyone anymore....lol

I worked at a Church for a few years, and some of the stories I could tell as a fly on the wall!!! From the time when one of the workers kept stealing from the donation plates! In the cafeteria, I would put a $5 bill in the donation plate first thing... since I was the one who collected the money at the end of the day, I always found it funny when every bill was in there...except the $5 bill was consistently stolen!

Walmart employees in my home, no thanks!

We've had honest mechanics too, one I could tell easily because when our vehicle made a noise and I had no idea what was causing it, called me later and said it was just a small part that cost a couple dollars or so, he could have easily made up a story and said it was something much more expensive.

It didn't happen where I grew up in Maryland, but a friend of mine that grew up in South Carolina said the milkman who delivered milk would actually come in the person's house very early in the morning and put the milk in their refrigerator as back then they generally didn't lock their doors at night. We had milk delivery when I was a kid but the milkman left it in the insulated milk case on the front porch meant for such deliveries.

It's sad because I'm sure there are many honest employees, but the dishonest ones make you leery not knowing which ones you can trust.

Not that there were no dishonest people back in the 1950's or earlier, but it did seem that back then it was somewhat easier to trust people moreso than today and that is sad as I like to try to give each individual the benefit of the doubt when possible.

I like sleeping good at night and believe in doing what's right and when I worked as a night auditor / desk clerk at a motel I had 4 times I can remember that a guest paying in cash for a several night stay overpaid by $100.00 without realizing it, I didn't even have to think about it, as soon as I realized it I gave them back the extra $100.00 telling them they gave me too much by mistake and they'd usually just give me a strange look as if it was so unusual for anyone to do that, but I'd just tell them "I sleep good at night" :lol: I have to believe there are many more employees in other jobs that would do the same. Look at the detectorists on the forum who try to return class rings that have enough identification to try to do so.

I'm the same way. A few months back I had a waitress give me $20 more than I was owed on a bill. Walked up to the counter and returned it explaining she gave me too much back.

Back
Top Bottom