Can White's MXT detect Gold?

andyfreeze

Forum Supporter
I know it can, of course. For the experienced detectorist. But I'm not that guy or gal.

But which setting would be best to find gold in nugget form? Would this setting also work for finding gold jewelry?
Can the setting "prospecting" be used to find Gold jewelry?

I was at the street sweep's site tonight, and there's a hundred times more junk in it than the snow dumping site. Only got two pennies, with the discrimination WAY DOWN to the bottom, and the gain and threshhold up, in an attempt to find real valuables. It was a long and fruitless search.

Why is it that you are not searching places like parks or schools? That would be my first choice over a pile of sand filled with trash..

If the MXT finds pulltabs then its going to find gold.. you're going to dig trash its part of the hobby..

I really think you need to give up on these piles of sweepings and find another place to detect.. many members here post lots of jewelry finds hunting totlots... find some and hunt them when they are not being used by children.

Sure the MXT will detect gold.

It is great at it.

For nuggettts you'll need to be in all metal mode.

No, nugget hunting is not like finding gold jewelry.

Nuggett hunting requires panning, sloothing, 4 wheel drives.

You'll need lots of digging tools.

As a mater of fact you can just leave the MXT at home and

do just as well.

I find lots of jewelry with much cheeper and lighter machines.

That MXT weighs a ton. I'm not lugging that thing around.

I would like to use the MXT except for the weight and price.

I use machines that have been produced by a gold hunting

family in AZ.

That's them Gill boys,

Contrary to what was said above, the MXT does NOT weight a TON. It does weigh more than many detectors but is well balanced. It WILL find gold nuggets since that is what the platform is based on ; a gold hunting detector. You do not need to be in all metal to do it. The prospecting mode is designed to enhance its gold nugget finding ability. Jewelry is not pure gold as most nuggets tend to be. This is why there is a jewelry mode on the MXT. The detector is better suited to find jewelry in the jewelry mode.

Thanks Tony. That makes more sense that what one of the other two guys were talking about.
I have been MDing for two weeks now, and am trying to gather experience, as well as suggestions from experienced people. I will get down to the tot lots and school yards in time, but thought I'd go try to understand my detector first. One thing I have noticed is that when it says "screwcap" on the VDI, I know I will be digging up a coin. And when it says "1cent,10cents" I know I'll be digging up aluminium cans or tabs. So, experience is being got. :-)

TagDOG: Where I live, I do go gold panning quite often, as well as gold sluicing, and I get good gold that way. However, I'd like to let you know it's A LOT of work, panning and sluicing LOTS of gravel to get gold. I would think it would be simpler to use a metal detector to find the nuggets rather than work 6 yards of gravel to get one. I can tell you that any digging I do with this metal detector is NOTHING compared to what I've moved with a shovel!! Oh, and BTW, in this province, we are not allowed, by law, to use heavy machinery for gold recovery from the rivers and streams. We value our fish and wildlife more than money, I guess.

Hay Andy,

I've heard there are a some places where it is possible

to find nuggetts with a metal detector.

I have only helped a few people pan and sluth for

gold.

Just the magnitude of the work and expense was a

deterent to me.

I only wish I had an MXT, but the light ones are all I can

handle. I would rather hunt longer with less pain.

I know that the MXT has a gold hunting mode, but I have

heard that it was still better to hunt in the AM mode. That

came from two reliable people who have written articles on

the subject of prospecting. Not MXT gureus. But, don't want

them involved, so l'll just say that's what I've heard.

With that said, the MXT stands as a fine gold finding machine.

HH,

Back
Top Bottom