• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Metal detectors on TV-Pawn Stars

mws_1984

Elite Member
Anyone see the episode of Pawn Stars where they buy a old metal detector from the 60s I believe. There is also a rumor that the Old Man has a plate in his head, episode ends with ChumLee detecting around the store and putting it up to a sleeping Old Man's head.

I saw that to. Strange looking thing but cool. They bought it for cheap. I think. I wonder if there is a way to found how much it costs now.

I saw that to. Strange looking thing but cool. They bought it for cheap. I think. I wonder if there is a way to found how much it costs now.

Coulda sworn I saw that one as part of that controversial "Guess the detector" contest. Someone posted a picture of one of those. No idea what it was called though.

I thought they paid $150 for it...that, or the guy wanted $150 for it. That was a funny episode. :lol:

G2M

They paid $60 for it. I don't know what model it was but it looked like it was from 60s. There were dozen of companies back then and even several built at home kits, so it will take a real old-timer to know what it is.

I love that show and plan on visiting their shop when I'm in Vegas next month.
That thing sure did look heavy. Musta weighed a ton and sucked the life outta them batteries.

On Auction Kings the other day they had a guy come in wanting to auction off a CW infantry button and a brass knuckle that he found while mding a creek in GA.

On Auction Kings the other day they had a guy come in wanting to auction off a CW infantry button and a brass knuckle that he found while mding a creek in GA.

I saw that episode to. Im shocked he got anything. Not sure about that Dino poop. :lol:

Yup, saw it & thought of you guys. :lol: specifically you older folk with the ol' standby units from back when.

Yeah they paid $60 for it..I believe it was a Fisher M Scope..

They're all M scopes... My F2 says it on the arm rest

By 1936, sales had increased to the point where the garage was no longer large enough. Fisher Research Laboratory moved to a small building at 745 Emerson St. in Palo Alto. Shortly thereafter, Dr. Fisher was granted a patent for his "Metallascope." The "Metallascope" was soon nicknamed the M-Scope, and as such, became an accepted standard for all types of electronic metal detection: geologists located ore, treasure hunters found treasure, utility companies located buried pipes, lumber mills located metal inclusions in sawn logs, and law enforcement agencies used it to locate abandoned or hidden weapons.

In 1939, just prior to World War II, Fisher moved to an even larger building at 1961 University Ave. in Palo Alto. During World War II and the subsequent Korean Conflict, the company was called upon to contribute its technical competence to the war effort, but the M-Scope business was never neglected. With the increasing popularity of the M-Scope, and with Fisher’s patent rights expiring, numerous competitors began producing similar equipment. Due to relentless efforts to incorporate every available technical advancement - and in particular, by keeping close contact with countless users to utilize their vast fund of field experience in the design of new models - Fisher maintained its position of solid leadership. Over the years, Fisher has designed and produced such sophisticated products as geiger counters, radio communication systems, voltage detectors and cable fault locators.

http://www.fishermscope.com/company_information.htm

My buddy told me that there is a huge line to get in that place, so good luck..

I heard that as well. A guy from a another TV show was talking about he thought he'd stop by there and the line was ridiculous. Ever see the episodes where there's that huge black guy at the door, he's like the bouncer. I can't imagine needing to wait hours in line to get into a freakin' pawn shop.

That exact model detector that was on Pawn Stars is on my local Craigslist for $40, right now.

What is strange is Iv seen the front of the store. The 2 episodes was when Chumlly? bought that kids ride. I think it was a pony ride and then when he bought that strange looking guitar for to much.

They're all M scopes... My F2 says it on the arm rest

By 1936, sales had increased to the point where the garage was no longer large enough. Fisher Research Laboratory moved to a small building at 745 Emerson St. in Palo Alto. Shortly thereafter, Dr. Fisher was granted a patent for his "Metallascope." The "Metallascope" was soon nicknamed the M-Scope, and as such, became an accepted standard for all types of electronic metal detection: geologists located ore, treasure hunters found treasure, utility companies located buried pipes, lumber mills located metal inclusions in sawn logs, and law enforcement agencies used it to locate abandoned or hidden weapons.

In 1939, just prior to World War II, Fisher moved to an even larger building at 1961 University Ave. in Palo Alto. During World War II and the subsequent Korean Conflict, the company was called upon to contribute its technical competence to the war effort, but the M-Scope business was never neglected. With the increasing popularity of the M-Scope, and with Fisher’s patent rights expiring, numerous competitors began producing similar equipment. Due to relentless efforts to incorporate every available technical advancement - and in particular, by keeping close contact with countless users to utilize their vast fund of field experience in the design of new models - Fisher maintained its position of solid leadership. Over the years, Fisher has designed and produced such sophisticated products as geiger counters, radio communication systems, voltage detectors and cable fault locators.

http://www.fishermscope.com/company_information.htm

And it good to note the founder of Tesoro Electronics worked there for some time and advanced their product quite a bit. That is why I bought my machines, both Tesoros. :D

I never saw the show, but here's my old Fisher M-Scope.
Fisher1.gif

All those old detectors had the same basic type of single-hand configuration. I gotta think those would kill your hand and forearm after swinging for very long.

Back
Top Bottom