The old base housing area really shocks me ....

jbkelly3

Elite Member
I have been working what has become known as my claim, an old off post base housing area built in the 40's by the Air Corp, and occupied through 1966. I have found silvers (9 thus far), wheats (80+), foreign coins, a dog tag and even a nice shiny sterling/diamond/sapphire ring .... but I was stunned today. I only get a few minutes at lunch to hunt .... so I have to work with a plan, not just take my time. Today I get the alarm to start heading back to the car and do so, swinging along my return path. Boy am I glad I did! I get a scratchy broken signal for dime/quarter, repeatable both ways so I take the mini shovel and dig a nice plug ..... nothing. A time or two more and still nothing in the plug .... but a stronger and stronger signal. Fearing a chunk of can slaw I dig one more scoop out ..... and then I see the handle of a spoon. No such luck as it being silver, so I rub my fingers down the back of the handle and find some markings, and work my way to the underside of the handle tip. I rub away the dirt and see something I cannot believe .... a Nazi eagle! Folks here we have a 1939 dated field service teaspoon, intact .. hiding in the dirt in South GA. I keep saying what next about this place .... and now I know one of the what next possibilities can be .... and of course I will be back the next several days to see ... what's next!

Attachments

• Nazi spoon front.JPG
    Nazi spoon front.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 624
  • Nazi spoon back.jpg
    Nazi spoon back.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 625
Sweet spoon! Thats one for the books for sure! Even though its not silver at least its not a rusting type of metal like the spoon i dug the other day.

thanx for the great post, pix, etc.... Yes military post housing areas can be great places to hunt. During WWII and the cold war era, military persons got a steady paycheck, and always had canteen money/coins in their pockets :) Also there was/is a steady rotation of families in and out of the units (rarely the same family for more than a year or two?) so that the "flavors" of the types of people (fumble fingers verses non-fumble fingers types) lends itself to higher odds that .... eventually .... all those yards get coins in them. There were some at Ft. Ord, CA that it seemed we could get 100 coins off a single yard! Granted, a lot are only pennies and clad dimes, but ..... always a silver or two for each effort :)

Btw, you're gonna put it on your mantle much to your wife's dismay right? lol :laughing:

When I was stationed at ft Campbell 6 German pow does and there is a gravesite back on the back 40. Could have been pow item as well. Just saying maybe research the post to see if any pow where housed there.

Back
Top Bottom