Has Anyone Ever Hit A Red Ant Hole?

ME&MYACE400

Elite Member
I will be very careful this spring as red ant holes are everywhere we are
has anyone come across any of these?
tell us your story:shock:

If you mean "fire ants" we have them here, you get in the habit of watching where you step when walking around outside so you don't accidently step on a fire ant mound :shock:

I've gotten bit before and their bites can sting and leave what looks like a tiny white pus filled pimple where you got bit at.

Some people can be highly allergic to them and those people really must be careful.
animated-ant-image-0028.gif

You might mean Fire Ants. I was huntin one time, got a hit , concentrating on my pinpointing spot. Got my eye on the spot . Knelt down , set the detector down , started digging , got my target , grabbed my detector , stood up , started swinging , then my arm started burning , looked down and my arm was covered in ants. I had laid my detectors cuff on top of a fire ant hill without noticing . By the time I picked it up , it was covered in ants. And they were pissed . That pretty much ended that day of detecting. They can be aggravating.

Well not red but big black ones that bite or sting.

Not me, but I witnessed.

A story here to share with folks with a sad ending. Dreadful actually.

I was doing duty back in 1990/1991 in Riyad Saudi Arabia during desert Storm.

We had had a few scud missiles lobbed our way previously before this one night.

Anyway, I and a gent named Joe my subordinate were working on an aircraft.
We got the radio call and sirens sounded alarm red.

Joe was a super troop btw, quiet, very loyal person.

Anyway we jumped off the plane on the Tarmac and put on our chemical warfare suits..We took shelter crawling in a culvert that ran under a taxi way. We had been in this culvert for a while awaiting the all clear signal. All of a sudden Joe jumps up and says something is biting him all over. He then climbs out of the culvert and starting stripping off his chemical warfare suit, then his actual military uniform. Turns out he had when crawling back in the culvert he crawled in an ant's nest. They were all over him, big ants too. The ants left welts all over him.

Well, Joe and I were actually assigned to the same base back in USA. Eventually I had changed bases through reassingment.

I ran into Joe not long before my actual retirement in England. He had gotten a couple promotions. He was still the good ole quiet Joe I knew before. He was leaving Uk soon after Immet him that day.

That was the last I saw of Joe.

After retirement for AF, I would read the AF mil sites.
I saw a story and read.
Upon reading I was sickened to what I saw.

Joe was a nice gent. One day I would like to go visit his family and talk to them.
I am almost positive Joe mentioned me to them by name.

The part that upset me.
http://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/136500/airman-dies-in-maintenance-accident/

No ants but I did step on some type of tiny wasp nest. I got stung at least six times...they were relentless...even went after my dog..nasty insects.

I have recently noticed little signs in parks warning of fire ants. So we must have them also.

Well not red but big black ones that bite or sting.

Not me, but I witnessed.

A story here to share with folks with a sad ending. Dreadful actually.

I was doing duty back in 1990/1991 in Riyad Saudi Arabia during desert Storm.

We had had a few scud missiles lobbed our way previously before this one night.

Anyway, I and a gent named Joe my subordinate were working on an aircraft.
We got the radio call and sirens sounded alarm red.

Joe was a super troop btw, quiet, very loyal person.

Anyway we jumped off the plane on the Tarmac and put on our chemical warfare suits..We took shelter crawling in a culvert that ran under a taxi way. We had been in this culvert for a while awaiting the all clear signal. All of a sudden Joe jumps up and says something is biting him all over. He then climbs out of the culvert and starting stripping off his chemical warfare suit, then his actual military uniform. Turns out he had when crawling back in the culvert he crawled in an ant's nest. They were all over him, big ants too. The ants left welts all over him.

Well, Joe and I were actually assigned to the same base back in USA. Eventually I had changed bases through reassingment.

I ran into Joe not long before my actual retirement in England. He had gotten a couple promotions. He was still the good ole quiet Joe I knew before. He was leaving Uk soon after Immet him that day.

That was the last I saw of Joe.

After retirement for AF, I would read the AF mil sites.
I saw a story and read.
Upon reading I was sickened to what I saw.

Joe was a nice gent. One day I would like to go visit his family and talk to them.
I am almost positive Joe mentioned me to them by name.

The part that upset me.
http://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/136500/airman-dies-in-maintenance-accident/

That is sad :no:
Live Your Life To The Fullest :yes:

In my younger years first time in Florida, looking for fossils at Ft. Myers, stepped into a fire ant mount, got lucky, no bites.

We have small red ants here in Canada, if your in the woods and you smell Citronella while digging, you dug into the home of these red ants, they bite. But, also you may find a coin.

Between snakes, ants, and poison ivy, I pretty much instinctively keep my eyes on the ground when I am walking. A lesson I learned as a kid and keep to this day.

I will tell a story on a co-worker from New York that should bring this lesson home. I was on a site visit in Texas. Two guys with me. One guy from NY, and one guy from Texas. The guy from NY was a smoker so at one point he needed as smoke break. We all went outside to talk about the visit in private. Texas and I stood on the parking lot and NY started walking around in the grass smoking his cigarette. After a couple of minutes, he starts jumping around and slapping his feet and legs... Yup, he had walked right into a fire ant nest and they were all over him. We later explained that we were on the parking lot because we knew that the grass would be covered up in ants. Apparently he wasn't happy that we had not shared that information with him. Oh well... lesson learned.

BCD

Fire ants were bad in Alabama when I lived there...A guy soon learns what to keep an eye out for...Every year, in the News, somebody would get hurt or killed by pouring gasoline on a fire ant nest, and then throwing a match...BOOM! Massive explosion! Bad idea but it happens every year...Well, those fire ants excavate some amazingly cavernous underground networks, and those gasoline fumes create the perfect recipe for disaster...

I watched some Youtube vids about guys that create some amazing art by pouring molten aluminum down inside a fire ant nest...like a sandcast sculpture!...I thought about this as a form of retirement income, something fun to do in the Winter...go out and set up and pour molten aluminum down into fire ant nests...let it cool, dig it up, hose it off, and set up a display at an Art show...

Where I live (in Western Australia) we have bull ants. They are incredibly ferocious and for some people it can take only 10 bites to kill you (no joke!).

Dad and I were out gold prospecting in the gold fields when dad got a really nice signal, but right on top of a bull ant nest. So he drove the pick into the ground and out came hundreds and hundreds of these black beasts!! The area where we were prospecting in has produced some large nuggets, so we weren't going to give up on this target. We let the ants settle themselves, and an hour later we came back armed with fly spray and a blow torch. They weren't bothered by the fly spray, so we carefully piled some sticks onto the nest, and set the whole thing on fire. 10 minutes later the ants had 'magically' disappeared, so we could finally dig out the 1oz nugget! :roll: The signal turned out to be a rusty old can at 10in. :mad:

Fire ants were bad in Alabama when I lived there...A guy soon learns what to keep an eye out for...Every year, in the News, somebody would get hurt or killed by pouring gasoline on a fire ant nest, and then throwing a match...BOOM! Massive explosion! Bad idea but it happens every year...Well, those fire ants excavate some amazingly cavernous underground networks, and those gasoline fumes create the perfect recipe for disaster...

I watched some Youtube vids about guys that create some amazing art by pouring molten aluminum down inside a fire ant nest...like a sandcast sculpture!...I thought about this as a form of retirement income, something fun to do in the Winter...go out and set up and pour molten aluminum down into fire ant nests...let it cool, dig it up, hose it off, and set up a display at an Art show...

We have them so bad they are like a foot from each other, hundreds of them and they get mountain high you can see them in the distance. Ya people do try to kill with gasoline.

Where I live (in Western Australia) we have bull ants. They are incredibly ferocious and for some people it can take only 10 bites to kill you (no joke!).

Dad and I were out gold prospecting in the gold fields when dad got a really nice signal, but right on top of a bull ant nest. So he drove the pick into the ground and out came hundreds and hundreds of these black beasts!! The area where we were prospecting in has produced some large nuggets, so we weren't going to give up on this target. We let the ants settle themselves, and an hour later we came back armed with fly spray and a blow torch. They weren't bothered by the fly spray, so we carefully piled some sticks onto the nest, and set the whole thing on fire. 10 minutes later the ants had 'magically' disappeared, so we could finally dig out the 1oz nugget! :roll: The signal turned out to be a rusty old can at 10in. :mad:

I've watch many programs about the over size pest there very scary :shock:

You might mean Fire Ants.

All fire ants are red ants. Not all red ants are fire ants.

I have dug into a red ant colony before (not fire ants - we don't have them in the NE). I had no idea really until I started feeling a burning pain in my knees. They got under my knee pads and were having some serious aggression therapy.

You might mean Fire Ants. I was hunting one time, got a hit , concentrating on my pinpointing spot. Got my eye on the spot . Knelt down , set the detector down...

I had a similar experience this past year with fire ants- when i set the detector down, a couple got onto my headphones... got a couple of bites down the shirt collar before realizing my error. New headphone cable is longer, and i definitely look twice before setting down the detector!

20 years ago, working utilities, South Carolina..

I'd just been dicking around with an overgrown gate/chain/lock, seemed to take forever, hotter than haties, huge spiders, chiggers, skeeters... Get done hop in the truck with cool AC, immediately jump on the highway...

Immediately jump off highway, commence to flying out of my truck, dancing while literally removing pants on the side of the road... Hundred or so, all over..

I'm sure it was downright hilarious to a local...

Yeah, I already knew what they were, just gotta remember.. If you have to stay in one place, look down first...

<°)))>{

20 years ago, working utilities, South Carolina..

I'd just been dicking around with an overgrown gate/chain/lock, seemed to take forever, hotter than haties, huge spiders, chiggers, skeeters... Get done hop in the truck with cool AC, immediately jump on the highway...

Immediately jump off highway, commence to flying out of my truck, dancing while literally removing pants on the side of the road... Hundred or so, all over..

I'm sure it was downright hilarious to a local...

Yeah, I already knew what they were, just gotta remember.. If you have to stay in one place, look down first...

<°)))>{

sorry but that was funny reading....it reminds me of the very rare times a bee or wasp was in my bike helmet...both times no bite

Back
Top Bottom