What Somewhat Common Dig Has Eluded You?

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
Mine would be a Barber Dime. I've dug a Seated Dime, Mercs, Silver Rosies. But no Barber dimes yet. Also looking for my first V nickel and Standing Liberty quarter or any type of silver half. What has eluded you?

UPDATED: I have dug a Barber Dime and a Walker half since starting this thread! :D

Last edited:
I’ve yet to find a pine tree shilling, gold coins, cob, large cent, trime, shield nickel, flying eagle cent, large cent, the list goes on and on and on! :laughing:

Hey, I’m turning 46 this year so there’s still some time...

I know you said somewhat common so I’ll add, I could really use some platinum.

I haven't found a large cent yet and they seem to be a fairly regular find in my parts. Same with seated coins. I've gone to some really old spots and have come up empty handed so far.

Any piece of gold jewelry. Been ten years now.
I've found a 10k necklace and 14k pendant, but those were both eyeballed.

What I think to be common for my time in and areas hunted would be the model T valve stem cover. I’ve found several parts of the ignition but not one of those and it seems people find them fairly regular. And of course any coins other than v nickels, IHC, and Mercs.

SLQ and/or a Silver Dollar would be nice....also, I've never found a 'pulltab' yet..or a gatorade foil top, or a screwoff, or a totlot zipper, or a pencil end?...These might be something noteworthy I should focus on collecting this season? I might be running the wrong settings....:laughing:

Last edited:
Buffs and IHPs....it's depressing!

Haha. I didn't mean to depress anyone! I just find it an interesting topic. I realize that some finds are more common depending on your region, but I think I should have found a Barber Dime by now. Maybe by listing our elusive ones here... we will find them!

Flying Eagle penny. I have found Large Cents, V-Nickels, Barbers, Seated, Capped, 2 Cent, III Cent, Indian Heads and even two gold coins but not a single Flying Eagle.

For 7 years, it was the Indian head penny!

I've dug Barbers and finally got a 1901 Indian about 3 months ago.

I've been doing this seriously for eight years and can't think of a "somewhat common coin" I haven't found. I have all of the 20th century coins except for the silver dollars, but they are not somewhat common. As far as non-coin finds, I haven't found a "crotal" bell or a harmonica reed.

Large Cent

I haven't found a large cent yet and they seem to be a fairly regular find in my parts. Same with seated coins. I've gone to some really old spots and have come up empty handed so far.

Keep searching, I went 7 years before finding first LC, found 2nd one week later 20 miles away. The first one is the hardest. HH Jerry

Gold pickers/ nuggets. I'm in gold country and have panned plenty of gold, but still haven't found anything in the streams & rivers with my machine. Just picked up and Infinium LS, and will attack my good panning spots as soon as it warms up a bit to play in the water. I'll keep you all posted.

Back
Top Bottom