Potential Hobbiest

Its like Robert Service said in his poem "Spell of the Yukon"......"It isn't the gold I'm wanting so much as just finding the gold". In other words its the search, the adventure, the excitement of finding things that have been lost for a hundred years or more. It's like the day I found my 1890 CC silver dollar.....I'll never forget the excitement I felt when it came to light after being buried for perhaps 110 years! Its not the financial gain.....its the adventure!

I received a metal detector as a gift. I have no experience nor real need for it, but am considering giving it a try. Otherwise, I'll try to return it (which will cost points with my wife...). Doing research, I came across this forum.

I have a question. Please understand that no disrespect is intended. I see a lot of posts here that essentially say " A good day - I spent 3 hours digging in a field and dug up 3 dimes, a nickel, and some sort of token."

Not a very good return on labor. Am I missing some appeal of the hobby? I could see some interest in beachcombing with the gadget, but don't live near a beach. Otherwise, I'm not excited about searching my lawn or nearby parks.

Hmmmmm...well, the other day I got out for 2.5 hours and got a modern dime and a modern penny. The ground was frozen solid so I worked a somewhat not frozen beach at 22 degrees and beautifully sunny....

So I got 2.5 hours of fresh air, sunshine, quiet alone time and didn't once hear a baby screaming for a bottle or diaper change or a five year old saying "Daddy, look at this," or "Daddy, I'm bored," or "Daddy, um, like Daddy, I, um, I'm thirsty Daddy, can you get me a drink daddy?"

Peace, quite, and 11 cents made for some nice "me time."

And that beach has produced a lot of silver and some gold for me so it's all good.

Hmmmmm...well, the other day I got out for 2.5 hours and got a modern dime and a modern penny. The ground was frozen solid so I worked a somewhat not frozen beach at 22 degrees and beautifully sunny....

So I got 2.5 hours of fresh air, sunshine, quiet alone time and didn't once hear a baby screaming for a bottle or diaper change or a five year old saying "Daddy, look at this," or "Daddy, I'm bored," or "Daddy, um, like Daddy, I, um, I'm thirsty Daddy, can you get me a drink daddy?"

Peace, quite, and 11 cents made for some nice "me time."

And that beach has produced a lot of silver and some gold for me so it's all good.

X2! Wife, 4 kids, job, I'm happy if I find a steaming pile of deer droppings when I'm out. I could go shovel the neighbors driveway and make more in 30 minutes than I would with a month of MDing. The peace and quiet MDing gives me is probably the only thing that keeps me sane and not of the front page of every news outlet for doing something stupid. It's all in the getting out and relaxing, finds are just a bonus.

......did you say 15 acres in Virginia ??????? ."

Thats what he said BT!..."15 acres in Virginia" I had to re-read it a few times myself, "Seems like a Decent gadget" "Came with a canvas bag stuffed full of different parts and headphones, Garrett I think? Didnt read the owners manual"" "Might give it to a friend" ....about then, all at once, I burped, pharted and puked in horror and the sheer magnitude of unfairness of it all...

Definitely A Major League Rickroll! Gold Medalist Contender!..Well done BlueRidge Pro! I lost 20 lbs all at once!...:laughing:.

Last edited:
It is not anywhere near all about what we find. Its is the Hunt. Being outdoors, the thrill of unearthing an item that was lost 100 years ago and you are the first person to touch it in 100 years.

I love to Hunt and Fish. While hunting one never knows what may be the next animal to show itself. While fishing one never knows for certain what the next fish to bite may be.

With the headphones over my ears i am in my own world not bothered by all the !!!! that is going on in the real world. its just me, the hunt and the search for the next item.

It is not anywhere near all about what we find. Its is the Hunt. Being outdoors, the thrill of unearthing an item that was lost 100 years ago and you are the first person to touch it in 100 years.

I love to Hunt and Fish. While hunting one never knows what may be the next animal to show itself. While fishing one never knows for certain what the next fish to bite may be.

With the headphones over my ears i am in my own world not bothered by all the !!!! that is going on in the real world. its just me, the hunt and the search for the next item.

I'm the same way when the headphones go on. I has spent years in a tree strand with a bow hanging near by, but the one thing I couldnt shake after the first hour or hour and a half, was the fact I should be doing something more productive. This has not happened once in the last seven hears while I was detecting.

I received a metal detector as a gift. I have no experience nor real need for it, but am considering giving it a try. Otherwise, I'll try to return it (which will cost points with my wife...). Doing research, I came across this forum.

I have a question. Please understand that no disrespect is intended. I see a lot of posts here that essentially say " A good day - I spent 3 hours digging in a field and dug up 3 dimes, a nickel, and some sort of token."

Not a very good return on labor. Am I missing some appeal of the hobby? I could see some interest in beachcombing with the gadget, but don't live near a beach. Otherwise, I'm not excited about searching my lawn or nearby parks.

I try to never think business-like when i detect. Its not a money-maker, its a hobby; one that clears my mind, encourages me to read and research local history, have some peace and quiet, go for a walk, breathe, go outside.

The thing you find isnt always a reward in the monetary sense.

Finally, just like any hobby, it isnt for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom