Dewsweepers Awesome “Chiseled This Out of the Ground” Thread

Holy cow! Nice big silver you chiseled out of the ground there! Congrats on the pretty Barber half and starting the year off right!

Wow! Brad, they may not be brass but you and Matt have them. A story told like no one else can and a memory of a adventure that will stay forever. Congrats on the Barber half and your first Silver 0f 2018. That is a well earned reward for your efforts and I hope your handicap is served for a few weeks so you can recover from this expedition. Hell I know better than that this will only build a bigger appetite. Trapper

Wow! Brad, they may not be brass but you and Matt have them. A story told like no one else can and a memory of a adventure that will stay forever. Congrats on the Barber half and your first Silver 0f 2018. That is a well earned reward for your efforts and I hope your handicap is served for a few weeks so you can recover from this expedition. Hell I know better than that this will only build a bigger appetite. Trapper

Thanks a bunch Trap . Just lucky to get a coil over it . The finds are so far and few between in that woods . The last time I was here was befor the big freeze and other then a few weighties a buff nickel was my prize for about 6 hours of effort. Bret had that Washington that day at the end .
I guess you can't. Get lucky if you do not go out but I have to admit .. better judgment is better spent preparing for spring . The plan was to take a ride and scout . Being able to dig some holes was a pleasant surprise . That buttery signal under exposed frozen dirt was just too good to leave behind .
No way in heck I would have even attempted it if it wasn't so pure .
And Matt would have came back with a jackhammer today iafter I let him run his coil over it . :)

That was more fun than a barrel of monkeys!!! I cannot believe that we spent 3 hours in the woods freezing it off today chipping through the frozen ground. Ultimately well worth the time spent. Can't wait to get out again and find one more wheatie

I had a blast , my wheatie was a 1929. Was yours an old one?
Dang I'm actually sore today . I would guess from stumbling around with all that gear on. I'm happy you decided to swing in and join the hunt after already being exposed to the conditions at that other potential site .
I'm not sure where I would have wondered if I was alone .. maybe to my truck and back home an hour sooner 🙂. Thanks for digging in on that signal with me . Popping that 5 inch dirt ball and seeing that thing at the bottom was amaizing .
What a ..( Hey remember that time) adventure .

All I can say is that's a nice one and well deserved . sube

Ok well, here's my story... First barber half ever is my first silver for 2018.

Congrats on the amazing bucket-lister- what a way to start off the year! I'm really appreciating you guys' dedication... I've got pretty much no excuse to not get out "due to the cold" for the next few months! :grin:

Very nice Congrats big silver always warms you up on those cold outings.

Yes it does GW . Thanks for the kind words.
It's a challenge just to bend over all bundles up in layers but it's amaizing how quick you warm up with a good signal to work on .

Ok well , here's my story , Thanks IDX for the Intro and .... raising everyone's expectations to Morgan or gold coin levels 😐. Lol
So everyone here knows I'm losing my mind. I picked up around 1 pm and left the house out into the frozen tundra. I Drove an hour and twenty min south after Mattmitt texted me and said he was gonna scout a pond dredge out .
I headed to an old wooded park looking for deep layers of leaves . Sure enough .. a couple few inches of lighter frost but diggable . Vencher off the leaf piles and your frozen tight to 8 inches minimum. I dug a couple Lincolns and some wine bottle screw caps .
After About 15 min of this Mattmitt called . I could hear his frozen teeth chattering.
This pond sucks ! he says ... I responded by ... Its diggable here ! Not long after he was parked next to my suburban 👍 I always look forward to the chance to meet up with a forum buddy and happy to see Matt again. I was a little jumpy thinking a Sasquach was throwing big rocks at me. 😳 The deep forest can play tricks on ones mind .

We hunted and extracted targets . As we made our way deep into the forest I came across the most beutiful signal . Pure as the snow. Flashing me a 12/47 14/48 and throwing in a 1/43 as my heart pounded ... anytime you see a 1 show up on the screen the first thing I think of is dollar! The other reason i was jumpy was it was on clean hard dirt next to a tree . No leaf cover 😦 I gave Matt a ... Hey ... I got a buttery one! He then scampered over from his pull tab signal ( no doubt an 18 k that he never finished digging). Matt liked the signal 😍
I asked if I could use his shovel as we both knew I was in trouble.
The good buddy that he is ... he said Absoluly , " But I am not going anywhere! "

After what seemed to me like 15 min of chizzeling and chopping taking turns using Lesches and his Sampson or whatever we got close . He popped the 5 inch round ice ball we had built as a protective bubble from the ground .. Just under still in the hole at about 8 inches totalit the coin laid almost flat ... it's bigger then a quarter Matt said with a smile 😀
I said .. and it's silver !
Well after 5 more min of chizzeling around the rim carefully we popped it . Light was fading this late afternoon but as we rolled over the grey dirt covered coin the shine Barber Half saw daylight once again.

Little battels is what this game is about. We were spent and it was time to head for the truck.

On the board for 2018 👍 also had a couple clad dimes a clad quarter and a wheat. Temps were around 20 with a chili breeze .
Priceless experience . Thanks Matt. First barber half ever is my first silver for 2018.
Thanks for looking guys .
,Dew
Nice half. It's been a couple years since my last barber half. That's a great first silver of the year. Old silver from the woods always have a real historic feel to them. Good job

Back
Top Bottom