COIN DISHWASHING

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
I usually try to think "outside of the box", so the other day I decided to see what effect the dishwasher would have on some the dirtier coins. :?: My dishwasher comes with this little basket that you use for smaller items so I decided to put the some clad in there and see what would happen when I ran it with the dishes. The results are mixed. The coins did not get completely clean, but some did get pretty clean in certain areas. I imagine that a more powerful dishwasher might work better...something that would really swish the coins around. When I do it again I am going to try it on the top rack. If anyone trys this and gets better results post it.

There was another post about this subject. If I remember correctly, someone mentioned the clothes washing machine. Apparently it worked for them.

Just a little note. If you find any coins that are of value or of collecting type, any type of cleaning will depreciate it's value. Most collectors appreciate coins in thier natural state. Of course there are comapny that do professional cleaning if the coin is worth it.

Here's my
2Cents.jpg

I just got done cleaning my wheaties. Took me all day yesterday and all day today.
One thing to remember... when you tumble your dirty coins, don't rinse that dirty water in the tumbler down the sink. It's very fine sediment, and eventually, it will clog up your sink solid. Liquid Plumber won't do anything to help ya, either. :lol:
I fill a 5-gallon bucket outside with cool, clear water and rinse them out out there.
This is also mentioned in the rock-tumbling instructions you get when you buy a new tumbler (well, from a mineral store, anyway).
Can't imagine using a dish washer or a clothes washer. Talk about laundering your money!¿! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom