A productive Massachusetts -1.1 hunt

North Shore

I turned up a razor thin 1897 barber quarter, early model hard top roaster toy some wheat pennies a 1950s Canadian penny a 1937 quarter and a ring Id like to know more about and get opinions on (age, style, composition). It rang a 12-22 on the ctx so I'm not sure if it's brass or not, not silver. No base metal coming through. Would an adjustable ring ever be made of 10k or a weird lower karat?

Attachments

• 0510201308a.jpg
    0510201308a.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 388
  • 0510201326.jpg
    0510201326.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 358
  • 0510201326a.jpg
    0510201326a.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 355
  • 0510201323a.jpg
    0510201323a.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 371
Yes..... but its as likely to be brass which may hold under 10K acid. Ive got a few adjustable ones.......one is even 22K. Specific gravity test may work.

Definitely a nice haul! Any issues getting on the beach, in terms of parking lots being closed, or beaches being closed? Good luck out there, and stay safe!

Definitely a nice haul! Any issues getting on the beach, in terms of parking lots being closed, or beaches being closed? Good luck out there, and stay safe!

This particular beach is a neighborhood beach maintained by residents and there's people just letting their dogs run til memorial day. you cant drive to it only walking but thats kind of how it is even in good times, theres parking for like 10 cars at capacity but the gate is up currently. Theres no wave action really or erosion as it is an inlet, but there was a lot of duck hunting here back in the day I'd imagine. I've found tons of remington head stamps from the turn of the century, happy to have finally found a barber from that same timeframe.

That's a good outing, Just nice to see the beach.

NO fineness mark on the ring, I would acid test it. The picture is to dark to tell if it is stained 10k. Brass can get a little pitty over time. Gold very rare. Keep us informed. I've never found a adjustable gold ring but they are out there.

That's a good outing, Just nice to see the beach.

NO fineness mark on the ring, I would acid test it. The picture is to dark to tell if it is stained 10k. Brass can get a little pitty over time. Gold very rare. Keep us informed. I've never found a adjustable gold ring but they are out there.

I can try and test it at some point, I have this small little testing stone and a range of acids from Amazon. Any suggestions on polishing it to try and better tell if its stained 10k?

I can try and test it at some point, I have this small little testing stone and a range of acids from Amazon. Any suggestions on polishing it to try and better tell if its stained 10k?

I would start with the acid test. I use Mother metal polish but you can use baking soda also...see if I can find a picture of a stained 10k gold...stained they look darkened and have that little under tone of the gold hue. I've got some that came up in the sifter and said it was junk..only to find out later they were gold.

Attachments

• 20200315_221501.jpg
    20200315_221501.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 297
Back
Top Bottom