excal shaft

LongJohnSilver1

Elite Member
So I took the excal out for a spin the other day and I'm getting more confident in my ability to find the goods with it - and I'm hating the stock shaft.

I really want a shaft I can shorten to dive length or lengthen to be long enough to wade with (I'm 185cm tall) without having to disassemble and rewrap the cables. The reason being I will hunt with the hookah for a few hours then swap to snorkelling. I'd like to do it all with the one detector.

This doesn't seem to exist, and at the risk of sounding naive surely it can't be that hard? I was thinking an over under arrangment with a lower shaft that can slide all the way out the back of the upper shaft to allow for the longer lower shaft length when in scuba mode.

I used to make skinny shafts for the excal. Not sure if I still have a couple or not. There are other sellers on ebay with varying prices.

I looked at making my own, but by the time I purchased the parts I was only saving $100. I'd rather just pay someone who's made all the mistakes already.

I made one out of a sweeping brush handle, and a crutch hand grip.
The are some good videos on you-tube on getting the center of a pipe when drilling ,
it does help if you have a pillar drill.
I used the original cuff, lower shaft and spring pins,

I have one --Plugger Dive shaft--

Used 1 time , interested PM me . PS doesn't come with the knob guard , thats extra , happy hunting. Earl

Attachments

• 20110601_7.JPG
    20110601_7.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
One I made years ago from a cane. Think I paid 5 dollars for the cane at a good will store. You just leave out the one extension when diving and it was "not" as short as a dive shaft but still works for when your on vacation and wanted to snorkel hunt, or drysand it.

Attachments

• OBN0012 (3).jpg
    OBN0012 (3).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 224
Plugger

Has custom to fit your height by contact on ebay, Carbon fiber , or aluminum shafts and metal knob guards for your knob's, as far as one shaft to do both swing , and dive, best to buy 2 machine's-so you don't have to re- do the lines , One machine on a Dive shaft , one on CF shaft , im 6'3 i had him make me a custom 45 CF rod heres' a pick . Plain and simple to much work to switch from a Dive shaft , to a swing shaft , having 2 machine's make's it easy , Earl

Attachments

• Excal Blue 1000 on Plugger carbon fiber 001.JPG
    Excal Blue 1000 on Plugger carbon fiber 001.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 183
  • Excal Blue 1000 on Plugger carbon fiber 004.JPG
    Excal Blue 1000 on Plugger carbon fiber 004.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 181
Those are some nice looking machines. They don't even look like they been used.

One I made years ago from a cane. Think I paid 5 dollars for the cane at a good will store. You just leave out the one extension when diving and it was "not" as short as a dive shaft but still works for when your on vacation and wanted to snorkel hunt, or drysand it.

Thats very resourceful OBN.

Kob Reply Back/ OBN

:thumbsup::razz::razz::razz::razz::razz: Updated those two Blue's PP , Skullies , Coil's O Ring's since those pick's , Joe nice job on the -make bro, look's good :thumbsup:

Last edited:
couple of shots , the handle shown beside the detector is the same as the shaft and the bit the battery and detector are mounted on , fully closed up it fits in the bag and measures about 3 foot from the cuff to the coil bolt
fully open its about 4 foot 7, no point in having it too short diving , the longer the arm the bigger the sweep,

Attachments

• 20200504_114633.jpg
    20200504_114633.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 20200504_114914.jpg
    20200504_114914.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 20200504_113126.jpg
    20200504_113126.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 153
Back
Top Bottom