What is a hardcore beachhunter ?

KOB

Forum Supporter
I was thinking about a post I recently made on an APEX Garrett thread on what I thought was a "hardcore" beachhunter. This is kind of a misnomer. It really doesn't have anything to do with your brand/model of detector you use.

My definition is that you need a mental and physical toughness to do this for any length of time. Lately I hunt twice a week. Usually I like to go 3 or 4 times a week. Anywhere from 4-8 hours each hunt. I will hunt mainly hard wet sand/slope and some water. Guys that hunt this style , along with strictly water and scuba hunters are "hardcore".

This is not easy folks. You will use muscles you never thought you had. Let's face it , some 20-30 year olds couldn't hang with 60-70 year olds who have been doing this awile. But each person is different. Some people will only hunt dry sand because it's overall easier to scoop and sift. But make no mistake , this can be "hardcore" as well. Walking great distances in the hot sand digging a few hundred targets on a hot muggy day is not for the meek ! If you don't have calf muscles , you will after 3 months. Pushing yourself mentally after 6 hours with not much to speak of , walking back to your car and finding 2 nice gold rings at the end , will keep you pumped up for the next hunt. SO NEVER GIVE UP !

Anyway , just thought I would share my opinion on what a "hardcore" beachhunter is in my opinion. And I'm sure others could add tidbits of their own too.

Thank You , THE KOB

There was a thread started some time ago about metal detectorists that get out despite some type of chronic physical pain or handicap (is that the politically correct term these days?) Anyway, you know what I mean. Those are the Hardcore detectorists in my book. As you described, this hobby can be challenging, physically and mentally. Those who have conditions that compound this, and still get out, get my vote (and admiration) for hardcore.

Theres a lot of truly 'Hardcore' hunters we will never know...Invisible and Anonymous...They are unseen and not engaged on a Forum....

The 'Hardcores' we DO know post here, and thankfully we can aspire to learn from their experiences and can pattern their habits, thoughts, traits, gear that they generously share here regularly....

Hardcores share some common traits...Persistance, Preparation, Planning, Practice...

Hardcores know which way the wind is blowing, they know the tides, they know the seasonal cyclical fluctuations in their AO's...They sleep and dream about it...finely attuned, addicted in their pursuit of a cruel Mistress... which is gold..

Above all, Hardcores consistently perform...they deliver! They can tolerate extremes of temperature, they roll with the seasons and know WHEN to be out. They eat sleep and drink this magnificent obsession...They are dialed in and got their $#It squared away...they are tough, relentless and optimistic, Indomitable!

...they aint afraid of being out alone in the dark, or Death..They realize Time and Gold wait for nobody, They know this is a dangerous Planet..yet they get up and get outside to get their kiss....ya cant find this stuff sitting around in the house...

Yeah, Gold is a Cruel Mistress!...She dont care about rewarding your effort or intelligence or intentions or how much you spent to pitch woo to Her..Note of caution to any suitors...

Its nice to take a break from Her and chip kick some totter clad!..Its like wow!...See! I am a good suitor! Arnt you jealous Gold?....Nope! Get back out here and give me a kiss!

I meet none of those criteria's, other then I do hunt the dead of winter and in the water only. I have been called a Gold Monger by a local hunter.
Hardcore ..not me..Gold Monger Pirate...Yes

Attachments

• OBN-0004.jpg
    OBN-0004.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 766
Last edited:
Maybe the true Definition of 'Hardcore' is anybody thats taken a !!!! or a wiz in their wetsuit or waders and kept on Hunting anyway? Or lost a job on account the tides were right?

Full disclosure, I'm not a hardcore hunter anymore, but I still pee and poop in my wetsuit and waders at night.... year round and a couple of times a week.....even if I'm not wearing them, a guy still dreams of the glory days and old habits are hard to break!..drives the Wife nuts!.:laughing:

Last edited:
Out waist deep by yourself at 3 in the morning on a moonless night...breaking ice with the scoop in February to get to open water...walking 4 miles down the beach and 4 miles back to dig one silver...pouring rain and 40 degrees all day during a 10 hour hunt in the woods...95 degrees in sunny July, at the schoolyard for 6 hours and having a cop roll up on you and offer bottled water:lol: trooping 9 miles thru the woods, dealing with swamps, briars, ticks, mosquitos and all that to find a cellar hole...and nothing but junk targets:laughing: Yeah, fun stuff...when's the next hunt:D

Time and effort i would assume. It has nothing to do with finds.

hardcore beach hunter

I was thinking about a post I recently made on an APEX Garrett thread on what I thought was a "hardcore" beachhunter. This is kind of a misnomer. It really doesn't have anything to do with your brand/model of detector you use.

My definition is that you need a mental and physical toughness to do this for any length of time. Lately I hunt twice a week. Usually I like to go 3 or 4 times a week. Anywhere from 4-8 hours each hunt. I will hunt mainly hard wet sand/slope and some water. Guys that hunt this style , along with strictly water and scuba hunters are "hardcore".

This is not easy folks. You will use muscles you never thought you had. Let's face it , some 20-30 year olds couldn't hang with 60-70 year olds who have been doing this awile. But each person is different. Some people will only hunt dry sand because it's overall easier to scoop and sift. But make no mistake , this can be "hardcore" as well. Walking great distances in the hot sand digging a few hundred targets on a hot muggy day is not for the meek ! If you don't have calf muscles , you will after 3 months. Pushing yourself mentally after 6 hours with not much to speak of , walking back to your car and finding 2 nice gold rings at the end , will keep you pumped up for the next hunt. SO NEVER GIVE UP !

Anyway , just thought I would share my opinion on what a "hardcore" beachhunter is in my opinion. And I'm sure others could add tidbits of their own too.

Thank You , THE KOB

You and Mud puppy :laughing:

Captain

Maybe it's time to take Kob for a hunt in the rock's , those California beach guy's want to know how 30 days of naked and afraid feel's like in the rock's of CT howboughtit :laughing: , you would be the perfect hunting guide :detector:

Maybe it's time to take Kob for a hunt in the rock's , those California beach guy's want to know how 30 days of naked and afraid feel's like in the rock's of CT howboughtit :laughing: , you would be the perfect hunting guide :detector:

Craig would be a better guide...admit it, you enjoyed hunting the rocks Earl, and you remember the stink mud too, right?:lol: You and Joe have to visit again sometime:yes:

I meet none of those criteria's, other then I do hunt the dead of winter and in the water only. I have been called a Gold Monger by a local hunter.
Hardcore ..not me..Gold Loving Monger Pirate...Yes

That is a funny post. Gold Monger , I like that name. Its a compliment in my book. Also sounds like a good name for a detector !

There was a thread started some time ago about metal detectorists that get out despite some type of chronic physical pain or handicap (is that the politically correct term these days?) Anyway, you know what I mean. Those are the Hardcore detectorists in my book. As you described, this hobby can be challenging, physically and mentally. Those who have conditions that compound this, and still get out, get my vote (and admiration) for hardcore.
Great point ! Anybody who has a disability and can still tough it out is "Hardcore" and respected. I have a disability , but nowhere near as bad as some others. I'm grateful and count my lucky stars.

Surfy : I am willing to try just about any kind of beach hunting. Having hunted quite a bit in Florida , I'm well aware of heat , humidity , bugs , etc. Rocks , stink mud , not preferred but have done. Extreme cold is where I'm weak at that you backeast boys do. But water temps can get cold here too.

Mud : well... what can I say... I have never dropped a deuce in my wetsuit while it marinates during a long hot hunt. You are probably knocking off a few fantasies there...

The hardcore beach hunter is the guy who had no less than three Explorer II detectors "wiped out and ruined" by getting slammed with beach storm waves. Yet he's too stupid and lazy to go out and get a waterproof CTX or Excal . He convinces himself he will "be more careful next time to wrap his next Exp. II in plastic and black tape better. Only to repeat the earlier stupitidy. THAT is a "hardcore beach hunter".

Another possible 2nd definition is: The guy who drives for 2 hrs. (because he was utterly convinced that beach erosion was occurring at a certain beach far away). Only to come home with 2 corroded zinc cents. .

Out waist deep by yourself at 3 in the morning on a moonless night...breaking ice with the scoop in February to get to open water...walking 4 miles down the beach and 4 miles back to dig one silver...pouring rain and 40 degrees all day during a 10 hour hunt in the woods...95 degrees in sunny July, at the schoolyard for 6 hours and having a cop roll up on you and offer bottled water:lol: trooping 9 miles thru the woods, dealing with swamps, briars, ticks, mosquitos and all that to find a cellar hole...and nothing but junk targets:laughing: Yeah, fun stuff...when's the next hunt:D

Captain S sums it up here.

You might be a hardcore beach hunter, if you use two metal detectors at one time, and get strangers to dig your targets for you:laughing:

HAAHAHA!

I had to bypass my NetNanny blocker to access this thread. I think it got triggered by "hardcore beach hunter."

LOL

Just thought I'd share the funny...:laughing::laughing:

Skippy

Thank You , THE KOB

I would add that the length of individual hunts is not what makes someone "hardcore" at something. I know folks who go to the gym for 4 hours a day in January, and by February never show up again. LOL

I believe hardcore is a status that is obtained over time. I expect people have 2000+ hours doing something before they can really claim it. And when they do go, they know what they're doing too.

e.g. Being a hardcore detectorist at the beach, but never finding anything, makes you a hardcore mall-walker at the beach. LOL HOWEVER... A singular event that goes south (such as the driving 2 hours each way, only to come home with two cents, due to bad conditions) doesn't impact this.

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom