TRX put to the test today

LittleJohn

Elite Member
I got my TRX in the mail yesterday and popped in a 9 volt rechargeable and started trying to figure out how to set it up. After a couple minutes I had it figured out and started doing a bunch of air testing at different sensitivities. This pinpointer is crazy deep in the air on setting 4....holy rip.

I dont put any faith in any machine in air tests....to me it just says...yes the detector is detecting....now get it dirty.

I was impressed with the minelab profind in the air, but in the dirt it just didnt perform anywhere near how the garrett propointer did....what a disappointment that was. So I got rid of the profind and got another garrett.

Those of you who have used the garrett know how it can go bonkers and just start chattering like a squirrel on red bull...I have experienced this as well with all of the propointers I have had they have all done it at one time or another.

Well today I left the garrets home and took the TRX on her maiden voyage.

About 5 hours of detecting time, and digging many targets, I finished the day with a smile on my face, I had just found a new friend...The TRX.

It is deep in the dirt ya'all....and less side sensitivity than the propointer so you can zoom right in to your target, get it found and recovered and move on to the next spot. It does have side sensitivity up to about the 1-2 inch mark and then it drops off a bit and picks back up farther up the shaft.

The TRX feels lighter than the propointer, although I haven't weighed it. I can't say enough good about this TRX...it is everything that I have wanted in a pinpointer...Nicely done White's....they did their homework on this one.

If you were on the fence anout this pinpointer...I can tell you, you wont regret giving this one a chance. It is going to be the new standard in the industry in my opinion....now for the toughest test of all....durability...will it hold up to many hours in the field? Only time will tell. Stay Tuned!

LittleJohn

Did the same as you.. Only thing I found that they didn't put on this that would have been very useful was a VID screen.. if they had, you wouldn't need a MD to hunt clad in the park! It picked up at a bottle cap 5" down with the factory default setting of 3.. even checked it after that just to make sure.
Did find the location of the speaker hole should have been below the button but I'm sure there was a logistical reason with how the internals are laid out why it is where it is..

Well, I too took mine for its maiden voyage today also. Out for about two hours. I agree with everything you said! It worked awesome. Although all targets I dug today were 3-4 inches only, in EVERY case, the TRX picked it up prior to digging, and my holes were thus much smaller. With just the tip sensitive, i knew i was exactly over the target. In many cases I did little more than cut a slit in the ground and there was the coin!

I love my Propointer, but this is every bit as good and better. I will continue to test it for awhile, but if the days continue like today, the Propointer will become my backup.

You guys may already know. But if you missed my post on the ratchet feature. If at any time you mess up during ratcheting to pinpoint. Say some dirt falls on the target and makes the target unreachable. Just touch the button out of the hole and it resets so you can ratchet back in on the target again. Easy as pie!:yes:

Did the same as you.. Only thing I found that they didn't put on this that would have been very useful was a VID screen.. if they had, you wouldn't need a MD to hunt clad in the park! It picked up at a bottle cap 5" down with the factory default setting of 3.. even checked it after that just to make sure.
Did find the location of the speaker hole should have been below the button but I'm sure there was a logistical reason with how the internals are laid out why it is where it is..

Agree with you on speaker location. easier for me to adapt over from the pistol probe, since you got to keep your finger on the button all the time unless you turn the knob to cut it on full time which I haven't done since I owned it.

Ratcheting is when you are pinpointing, you push the button when you get closer and it reduces sens to the tip. Instead of picking up at 4" as you get closer it will go down to about an inch. That way you narrow the target down to an exact spot.

Back
Top Bottom