Headphone question

BUSCH297

Good afternoon.
I am new to metal detecting and wonder if someone could give me the benefits of using headphones,i haven't been able to get a straight answer so far. It seems to me that a headphone is a speaker just like the one that comes on the detector already.

Thanks for any input. Any other Newport RI people out there?

Hi
Thanks for the response,i have headphones that came with the detector when i bought it but haven't used them. I will give them a try this weeken and see if it makes a difference,not that it really maters as i still don't have much of a clue as to what i'm doing,still in the learning process.

Busch 297

Head phones are a must have, The difference is like night and day. I drove TTs for 30+ years and my hearing is about shot. You get a lot cleaner sound with them even if you have the best of hearing. Now, think about this. You are on a crowded beach and you see some metal detecting guy coming along. You have 0 interest in detecting, and this dude mosies up near you....beep, boink, bonk, bing-bonkity-bing etc, etc, you get the picture.
Keep the noise to youself, cause it can be annoying to others.:mad:.
Oh yes, welcome to the "friendly" forum

I would never bother hunting without headphones. Being able to hear slight changes in the sound are very important and you just can't do that with the built in speaker.

I'm not sure if it's the same now but headphones used to also save on batteries.

Also, from what I've heard others say, using headphones will extend the life of your detector's batteries.

Harley-Dog

Thanks to everyone who responded,i have yet to be on a a crowded beach with the detector since i just started and no one else is out at 6am Sunday so it's just me and the seagulls.

Ditto for all the above. In addition having headphones on does discourage people from coming up and asking a ton of questions. Which can be very annoying when at a busy place.

Headphones A Must

In addition to the better hearing aspect of headphones, the full ear covered phones make great ear warmers on cold windy days. I kept having trouble with the wires on my stock headphones. The swinging motion would fatigue the wires. I purchase some heavier insulated wire (straight) to replace the stock (coil, springy) wire. I used a heat shrink tubing boot (3 inches long) at both ends for reinforcement. Never had any trouble since.

Back
Top Bottom