Time for a second string

steve in so la

Forum Supporter
Ever since I started detecting 27 years ago I have strung the dug junk rings on a rope. Well it's filled up now so I'll start a second one. I'm 5'8" and the string of rings measures 4'3".

About 2 years ago I counted them and there were over 400 and it was about 2/3 the length it is now. I was thinking of giving it to an orphanage or something. Any ideas out there ? steve in so az

Attachments

• me 2.jpg
    me 2.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 228
  • rings 2.jpg
    rings 2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 225
Neat idea putting them on a string like that! I think the orphanage idea is great! How would your good rings sting measure up the the junk one?

Nice string- o- ring. I like the your willing to give them away to brighten someone's day. I'm hoping you anwser stevemn's question above.
good hunting to you
steve

Are half the folk's on here named steve?:spin: :spin:

Nice string- o- ring. I like the your willing to give them away to brighten someone's day. I'm hoping you anwser stevemn's question above.
good hunting to you
steve

Are half the folk's on here named steve?:spin: :spin:

It seemed like I was the only one for awhile but many have popped up since then. :D

Ever since I started detecting 27 years ago I have strung the dug junk rings on a rope. Well it's filled up now so I'll start a second one. I'm 5'8" and the string of rings measures 4'3".

About 2 years ago I counted them and there were over 400 and it was about 2/3 the length it is now. I was thinking of giving it to an orphanage or something. Any ideas out there ? steve in so az
,,,,,,,,YOU opened the door on that one Steve,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Can I Have It?:lol:;lol:

My silver and gold rings would probably add up to around 90 gold and probably 180 silver. I have kept records on detecting forever - the only organized thing I have ever done my wife says. I have dug about 175 solid gold items but dont keep track of the sterling items. Most things I give away (down Rusty !! ) , keep in the safe deposit box or send to the refinery. And this last 12 years or so 90 % of them have come from tot lots. The people around here wear gold like Mr T, steve in so az

That's a lot of digg'in my friend! The rings are a journal of sorts for you. I would imagine that you can look at that rope full of rings and remember some great hunts. Get a hold of a local newspaper, have them do a story. Sell the rings at a local event for a dollar a piece. The money could go to your favorite charity. I'll buy the first one!

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Jack - I was thinking of $100.00 per ring - what do you think :)
Seriously tho - a friend's wife works at a church thrift store and they sell bags of junk rings to artists. Maybe I'll donate them there, Steve

That is very cool! I know that in Kansas City there is a group that donates toys and school supplies to disadvantaged youth, Tucson probably does too, so that could be an option.

Farmall - Yes, the box behind me is a railroad collection of things. I collect 5 railroads that ran through Arizona. Here's one , the Southern Pacific. I collect the date nails mainly but fill in things like RR silverware, locks, passes, etc. Some of the date nails go for up to 600 bux, but most are in the 1-3 dollar range. Most things are either detected or sifted from old dumps. Steve

Attachments

• SP RR 2.jpg
    SP RR 2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 157
Farmall - Yes, the box behind me is a railroad collection of things. I collect 5 railroads that ran through Arizona. Here's one , the Southern Pacific. I collect the date nails mainly but fill in things like RR silverware, locks, passes, etc. Some of the date nails go for up to 600 bux, but most are in the 1-3 dollar range. Most things are either detected or sifted from old dumps. Steve
I have never heard of date nails? Can you explain to me what they are Steve.

Steve, I noticed the locks you have in your shadow box. I have a simular lock that I found many years ago in an old shack I was exploring. Do you (or anyone else) know if it is an old railroad lock?

Attachments

• IMG_0535 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0535 (Large).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 143
That's amazing!

You have maximized your hobby in a great way. I wish I had strung my rings over the years, but they wouldn't add up close...... Nice going!

Nails

I found two of those date nails in Santa Fe NM, I thought they were intresting. The dates on them are 48 and 89, are they worth anything?
Wayne

FX - Your lock is an older one - check this link to read about it.

http://members.aol.com/pdx2001/padlocks/index.htm

Rusty - Railroads put heavy nails with a date on top into the wooden ties when they laid the track. Then later on, they could tell how old the tie was as for replacement. Most everyone stopped using them in the 1950's or so and they are now collectible. Here's a site that tells all about them.

http://facstaff.uindy.edu/~oaks/DateNailInfo.htm

Wayne - Yoiur two nails are not worth a lot - maybe 2-3 bux. However, there's one in the mid 50's that goes for 4-5 hundred bux. Maybe check the link above, steve

Thanks for the info, still have to keep the wife from hangin plants on them in her garden.

wayne

Back
Top Bottom