Detecting Your Backyard is Fun!

Carol K

Co-owner
Admin
After I did the yardwork today I got out the PRO XL 6000 and started swinging near the back door. Not finding much (but a lot of iron signals) I began detecting the path to the garage.

The people that lived here before us were slobs, and the neighbors said they only used the garage to store their junk, but I figured maybe the people that lived here before them may have used the garage all the time.

So I lucked out finding a token on the path and a bunch of fishing weights, a quarter and other small change.

The nice thing is... detecting your own yard. I could be sloppy if I want, I can dig where I want, didn't even have to get in the car and travel somewhere. It's cool... no stress.

The token is an Ellwest-Jolar Amusement Centers. One side says Heads I Win, and the other side says, "Tails I Lose."

Oldest coin in the yard so far is a 1964 nickel. Can you believe I found all this stuff in the yard? I haven't even hit the front yard yet.

Attachments

• token-theadsiwin.jpg
    token-theadsiwin.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 890
  • token-tailsilose.jpg
    token-tailsilose.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 880
  • 8-3-07.jpg
    8-3-07.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 881
  • garage-path.jpg
    garage-path.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 974
That's what I'm hoping too.

It's just been too hot to detect, today was the first cool day.

You never know what lurks under the dirt almost anywhere. I plan to do our yard as soon as I get my detector back (it's currently on loan :( ). I haven't been detecting much in years so I need to get some practice anyway.

To date, my back yard has turned up noting but junk. The front yard on the other hand has produced a good amount of clad. This is the first house I've lived in that I haven't been able to find even one keeper in the back yard. Having moved often while in the Navy, I've lived in a number of houses. This house was built in 1995, so there should be something, if only clad back there, but it seems that old iron (lot's of it), roofing nails, slivers of siding and old beer and soda cans (at about 5 inches) is all I can find.
But hey, I'm cleaning it out, a little at a time.

The house I'm in was built in the 1940's and the guy who developed the houses on the block lived here. Found a few merc's, a few rosies, one silver quarter a walking Lib (half) and at least 20 wheaties. Alas, haven't matched that with other houses on the block.

Wish I could dig in my yard. (But we'd have to have a 'condo association meeting' to decide if it's OK or not. And I'd rather attend the most borring week-long seminar you can dream of than sit in one more hour of a condo association meeting.)

You're gonna find lots of neat stuff. And five years from now, after you've dug the last beep, newer/deeper detecting machines will come around, and you'll get to start all over again.

HH

Rich :D

Nice finds Carol. I went for a hunt yesterday in the neighbor's yard and found 2 wheaties. Right next to my house! Of all the placed I have hunted, I never thought about right next to me. :lol: It was fun,

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Those are some nice finds! It's amazing the amount of stuff people drop. Makes me wonder if I'm dropping things and not realizing it too.

It looks like you need a rain barrel... here's a pic of mine that I put together a few years ago.

Attachments

• IM005862.jpg
    IM005862.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 742
Hahaha! Yes, as you can see, we need a rain barrel. The "tidy cats" I eyeballed in the woods next to us. :D

Total clad coinage in the yard so far, 1 quarter, 2 nickels, 3 dimes and 15 mems.

The people that lived here before us had the the backyard fenced off with dogs in it, so I don't know if I'll find anything in the backyard.

But you never know, I did find a silver ring under the clothesline. :yes:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=10730

Where im living now there is a Huge electrical Box out front and no yard to speak of . I sure miss the yard i used to have where i lived in a Duplex with a fenced yard . I found a silver cigarette case and several rings and most of a cast iron toy tractor. I do envy you. Happy Hunting.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom