Apex Reveal thoughts

To me the at pro has the best audio going,,even with all these new releases I still think the at pro audio tops them all. I have never heard anyone complain of a learning curve either with the at pro,that thing could be turned on and given to someone who never detected and they’d make great finds. Not sure what to make of what I’m reading?

I definitely like the Equinox's sounds better than any other detector. They can be adjusted to suit the user both in volume and pitch. I hate harsh tones and Minelabs overall have awesome sweet ear pleasing tones.

The Nox is not deep??? Either your soil is terrible or you are doing something wrong. My 800 is just as deep or maybe even deeper than my CTX was in my soil. I have not seen a machine yet that could go deeper in my soil.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Amen on the depth the Equinox can get! I don't know if it has just been luck, but in the wild digs the Equinox has been my deepest machine. Even deeper than the Etrac on average. I have done some back yard test the Etrac won, but in the wild the Equinox has found the deepest coins I have ever dug.

To me the at pro has the best audio going,,even with all these new releases I still think the at pro audio tops them all. I have never heard anyone complain of a learning curve either with the at pro,that thing could be turned on and given to someone who never detected and they’d make great finds. Not sure what to make of what I’m reading?

I agree!, Now if Garrett makes the AtPro with multiflex I just might have to buy it😁👍

I have great soil. Either no bar or 1 bar on my F75. The 75 beats the Nox. I'm not doing anything wrong. It's just not all that deep. Works well on the beach though looking for gold. It gets a little deeper in the wet sand.

Boy Kajun, I'll bet you don't like Calabashes's youtube comparison of the F75 and the Nox. Seems pretty clear.

I have great soil. Either no bar or 1 bar on my F75. The 75 beats the Nox. I'm not doing anything wrong. It's just not all that deep. Works well on the beach though looking for gold. It gets a little deeper in the wet sand.

Kajunman is almost right. It depends on the soil mineralization and the target you are looking for. My former F75 could not detect an 8" coin sized target in my bad dirt. Equinox will go 11" easily here and with accurate tone and number ID.

Here is a quote from Steve Herschbach who was one of the field and beta testers for the Equinox and he has written several Treasure Talk blogs on Minelab's website.

"Just an example of where multifrequency can still go. Right now you will hear it said that when a detector uses single frequency, all the power is focused on that one frequency, which can give slightly better results on that frequencies preferred target class over multifrequency. This is because multifrequency spreads the power out over the frequency range, with each frequency therefore running slight less than full power. It is the compromise of running all frequencies versus a single frequency. However, with that single frequency you are focused on a single class of targets, and will do less well on the other frequency ranges than the multifrequency unit."

"But it does not have to be that way. That is mostly a function of battery power and the desire to keep power use within tolerable ranges. With new high power battery technology, the next step will be multifrequency where each frequency is optimized and running at full power equivalent to what you get running at a single frequency only. I expect we will see this development in the relatively near future."

I want to emphasize again that Equinox is not the be all end all of multifrequency. In fact CTX has better target id resolution and excellent ferrous handling that is arguably better than the Equinox. From my perspective the Equinox is just a crude proof of concept for Multi-IQ, with more benefits still to come. It should be fairly obvious that everything Minelab knows about FBS and has learned so far about Multi-IQ will be going into the next generation CTX and Equinox models."

Look forward to using the Garrett Ace Apex too. In really bad dirt, saltwater and deep target ID accuracy, modern multi frequency is hard to beat.
Jeff

I definitely like the Equinox's sounds better than any other detector. They can be adjusted to suit the user both in volume and pitch. I hate harsh tones and Minelabs overall have awesome sweet ear pleasing tones.

Amen on the depth the Equinox can get! I don't know if it has just been luck, but in the wild digs the Equinox has been my deepest machine. Even deeper than the Etrac on average. I have done some back yard test the Etrac won, but in the wild the Equinox has found the deepest coins I have ever dug.

I like the AT Pro audio, but one of the reasons I was motivated to switch to the Equinox was a need to find something that wouldn't aggravate my tinnitus the way the AT Pro was doing. It's no fun to have the volume at a moderately high level to hear deep coins and then swing over an aluminum can or hunk of iron. Between the abrupt loud volume from shallow targets and the harsh timbre of the tones in general, A several hour hunt would get my ears ringing where I could notice it in a noisy room, whereas I normally can only hear the ringing in a quiet room. I was doing more and more long hunts and noticing the effects.

I still detect with the at pro, but not for deep hunting. I either have the big coil on it for coverage/surveying or I have the 5x8 for quick shallower work, but either way I have the volume at a moderate level I rarely use the stock coil because I'd rather use the Nox.

The video-game bleeps and bloops of the Equinox grew on me faster than I thought it would. The difference between loud and soft in the proportional audio isn't as dramatic as the AT Pro, and the tones aren't as harsh. I appreciated the adjustable iron audio volume and all of the other custom audio features, especially on the Nox 800. (For example, if somebody is cherry picking with the 800 they could assign a medium pitch tone to all desirable targets.) To bring it back to the Apex for a second, I think it's great that it also has the iron audio volume. Great feature.

As far as depth, I also have no idea what somebody is talking about if they aren't digging deep coins with the Nox.

Last edited:
Boy Kajun, I'll bet you don't like Calabashes's youtube comparison of the F75 and the Nox. Seems pretty clear.

I saw the video. Seems pretty clear Calabash doesn't own an F75 and isn't experienced using it. Seems pretty clear I own both and know what both can do. Seems pretty clear my 75 beats my Nox on depth in my soil. Seems pretty clear Calabash wasn't down here in Houston running his test. Seems pretty clear you believe what Calabash has to say even though he doesn't own particular detectors. Seems pretty clear that is a flawed concept.

Looks like it does in the pictures...lol

Operator said they really liked it and felt it was definitely worth the price. I didn't get to mess with it. They've only had it several days and was still getting the feel for it but didn't have anything negative to say about it. Probably won't start seeing any of the youtubers posting anything about it until mid-June. I wasn't sworn to secrecy but I also don't think it's my place to say who had it or release any details though I don't know too much about it anyways. I didn't want to be that guy that was prying too much for info.

Looks like it does in the pictures...lol

Operator said they really liked it and felt it was definitely worth the price. I didn't get to mess with it. They've only had it several days and was still getting the feel for it but didn't have anything negative to say about it. Probably won't start seeing any of the youtubers posting anything about it until mid-June. I wasn't sworn to secrecy but I also don't think it's my place to say who had it or release any details though I don't know too much about it anyways. I didn't want to be that guy that was prying too much for info.

It's too late , you are "THAT GUY" !

I might be that guy but I'm not that guy. I didn't want to fish for a bunch of info is all. I asked a couple general questions and let them tell me what they wanted to tell me. That's all. I'm not versed enough in detectors anyways to really ask many questions to elicit detailed technical answers. So I was just asking how they liked it and if it seemed to be performing as expected and whether they felt it would likely replace their other everyday machine. Also asked when they'd be allowed to start posting videos on youtube using the machine. I just thought it was neat to detect next to someone that has 1 of 5 or 6 of Apex's that have been released so far.

I saw the video. Seems pretty clear Calabash doesn't own an F75 and isn't experienced using it. Seems pretty clear I own both and know what both can do. Seems pretty clear my 75 beats my Nox on depth in my soil. Seems pretty clear Calabash wasn't down here in Houston running his test. Seems pretty clear you believe what Calabash has to say even though he doesn't own particular detectors. Seems pretty clear that is a flawed concept.

I'm so surprised by your response. Sure didn't see that coming. Seems pretty clear. :cool3:

Maybe you can go hunt with Calabash and he can clear things up for you.

I was going to suggest the same for you. Might learn something, you never know. Calabash is definitely not my cup of tea, but the majority of comparisons I've seen and read put the Nox on top by quite a margin. People that I respect and who hunt with every detector known to man have told me the same thing. Definitely sounds like user error to me, so maybe there are things to learn. This is not knock on you. I just know that there are times when I've had an opinion on some product that was contrary to the great majority of people using that product, and I always go back and try to understand the difference of opinion. And I've often learned something new, or even changed my mind. JMO. Peace be with you.

I was going to suggest the same for you. Might learn something, you never know. Calabash is definitely not my cup of tea, but the majority of comparisons I've seen and read put the Nox on top by quite a margin. People that I respect and who hunt with every detector known to man have told me the same thing. Definitely sounds like user error to me, so maybe there are things to learn. This is not knock on you. I just know that there are times when I've had an opinion on some product that was contrary to the great majority of people using that product, and I always go back and try to understand the difference of opinion. And I've often learned something new, or even changed my mind. JMO. Peace be with you.

I guarantee you it isn't user error. If you hunt with a detector for a good while you will know how to get the most out of it. Nox does a lot of good things. Getting deeper than my 75 isn't one of them.

So I was just asking how they liked it and if it seemed to be performing as expected and whether they felt it would likely replace their other everyday machine. Also asked when they'd be allowed to start posting videos on youtube using the machine.

What was their response? Thanks.

What was their response? Thanks.

Said it seemed to be a really good detector and definitely worth the price. Likely would be the new day to day machine but the "old" machine being waterproof will definitely still have its place. Garrett said pics were ok but not video until mid-June since the machines that are out now are not final production units.

Said it seemed to be a really good detector and definitely worth the price. Likely would be the new day to day machine but the "old" machine being waterproof will definitely still have its place. Garrett said pics were ok but not video until mid-June since the machines that are out now are not final production units.

Thank you Nubster!

I guarantee you it isn't user error. If you hunt with a detector for a good while you will know how to get the most out of it. Nox does a lot of good things. Getting deeper than my 75 isn't one of them.

I had the 15inch coil on the Nox today and was impressive, I'd say the AKA Signum MFD was probably the deepest milled coin detector I've used.
My friend used the F75 for 4 years, he rated it with the large coil on for depth, but he wouldn't trade his Nox for another F75.

Lol you are so salty in all of your posts. Who pissed in your cheerios?? I would recommend taking this hobby and the internet a little less seriously. You are going to give yourself a heart attack or nervous breakdown. I do want to give you props though as you seem to be the only detectorist in the world that can make the F75 go deeper than the Equinox. That takes some serious detecting skillz.

Back
Top Bottom