Mudlarked bullets/cartridges for ID

RickyKay1

Hi Folks, first time lister, be gentle with me if haven't set things out quite right! I'm trying to ID the attached three cartridges/bullets found while mudlarking on the Thames. The single ribbed bullet looks as if it may be armour-piercing as it has a rusted pin running through the core?
Apologies for the photos not being great, I can go hook the items out and take fresh ones if these aren't good enough. There is some text on the base of the 10cm long cartridge, but it's pretty indistinct.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 2018-06-16_Cremorne03.jpg
    2018-06-16_Cremorne03.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 218
  • 2018-07-16_Cremorne03a.jpg
    2018-07-16_Cremorne03a.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 175
It is next to impossible to id cartridges without headstamp, or without accurate dimensions taken with calipers. Centimeter range is pretty useless...

You long cartridge might be .400 Purdey, or not.
As for the smaller cartridge, any sign of a primer or is the bottom smooth?

That ribbed thing might be something totally different than bullet. About one cm diameter but 60mm long...

Voriax

Top image looks like a throwing dart, the rusted center might be the needle that ran through the body of it.

Agree with the above, more pictures and clearer pictures will help id the lower rounds

EmuDetector; I think you've nailed it. Armour piercing bullet of a sort, it would just have to be thrown with considerable force! Didn't check the materiel, bet it's brass rather than lead. Thank you!
Thanks for the suggestions Voriax. I'll go and have a rummage for the cartridges, see if I can get some better images.

Back
Top Bottom