Covid Kayak Hunt...The Return of the SS Gato!

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
Even though beaches aren’t open, yesterday I was finally was able to take out my kayak and go out for a hunt. Marinas opened this week and that gave me the means by which I could take out the “SS Gato” and use it for a detecting hunt – something I'd never done before. I set it up at home 1st with ‘Noxy but then opted to take Merlin since its control box wasn’t in the way of my paddling. I arrived at the marina, launched and headed to my target beach. It took me about an hour to get there.

Upon arriving, I took down the equipment and the anchor and placed the kayak about 15 yards offshore. Just as I was donning all my equipment a park worker shows up and does the “cutting thing" with his hand underneath his chin. I walk over closer to the shore and take off my headphones and he opens his window and proceeds to tell me that “the beach is closed”. I told him that I wasn’t on the beach that I was in the water. He laughs and says something else about not being able to be there and I ask him “do you know how far into the water the beach is closed to?” as I point at some boats just offshore. He then raises his hands and I walked away and continued to hunt. I saw him just stay there for a bit of time, fully expecting for him to have called the police so that I can again have the same conversation. He left and the police didn’t show. I hunted for 2 hours until the next encounter.

At the 2 hour mark I had a different park worker start yapping at me when I was 10 yards offshore about the beach being closed and I couldn’t be there. I told him again I wasn’t on the beach that I was in the water. He continued and I again brought up if he could tell me how far the beach property extended to and he said he didn’t know. I told him where you’re standing is the limit of “beach property” as he was right on the high water mark. He then goes in an agitating manner as he held his big radio “if you don’t leave I will call police”. I kept hunting for another 30 minutes and no police showed up. I hunted less than 3 hours because my arms were hurting a bit and I still had to paddle back an hour so I needed to have some reserve energy in the gas tank.

On the way back, I walked the kayak in the water for quite a bit to save my arms. I then had another older worker approach me along the beach and in a friendly way told me “I gotta keep my eye on you”. I then got a bit defensive and he responded that he knew that I had a right to be there and that it was ok. At least this guy knows the rules I thought. The hunt was nothing to speak of but it was great to be out there kayaking and detecting. Tomorrow I think I might call the park manager so that he can explain to his staff where beach property extends to even though I don’t see myself kayaking to detect there again.

Attachments

• 20200502_085802_resized.jpg
    20200502_085802_resized.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 608
  • 20200502_165553_resized.jpg
    20200502_165553_resized.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 599
  • 20200502_100736_resized.jpg
    20200502_100736_resized.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 554
  • 20200502_142502_resized.jpg
    20200502_142502_resized.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 547
  • 5-2-20.jpg
    5-2-20.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 583
  • 5-2-20 junk.jpg
    5-2-20 junk.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 549
Wow... not too many garbage pennies that are called your name :lol: Do you have a PP switch or don't switch back and forth?

Did you have a good time? That is all that counts these days.. you are lucky I can't even drive down beach road here the cops are blocking the road and beach is gated and locked..

Having moved to Vegas from the beaches I'd be happy to get my feet wet.. Literally.

That is 1 BAD CATYAK ! Beautiful day and exercise. I wonder if yakers rig up a small battery trolling motor for calm days. Don't know if that would work to help save the arms after a long hunt.

Wow... not too many garbage pennies that are called your name :lol: Do you have a PP switch or don't switch back and forth?

Did you have a good time? That is all that counts these days.. you are lucky I can't even drive down beach road here the cops are blocking the road and beach is gated and locked..

I really had a great time Craig- both detecting cr*p and kayaking. I don't have the PP switch on my Excal. When I'm near shore it'll go to discriminate mode if there are a lot of targets. It stays in PP whenever I'm away from the shore. That's how I hunt with it about 90% of the time. Normally, I'll take the 'Nox to trashier beaches like this one. The Excal was just more convenient for me with the kayak. I have now learned how to use my bike and kayak to transport my detecting equipment during this pandemic. :good:

nice try I cant find so much as an open field to detect . those kind of confrontations usually end bad for me. the problem with giving up rights to the government is getting them back.at least you got out and got some sun and fresh air congrats!

My local beaches according to our governor are open. However the mayors of the four island beach towns say You Cant come on our islands. Armed LEO blocking any nonresidents from gaining access. All those hundreds of beach rentals are sitting empty. Those towns not collecting the tens of thousands of dollars in parking fees and fines for your tire touching the pavement etc.

Love that boat!

I've had rich people threaten me when I was in the water In front of his huge home as he thought he owns a bay and just on the other side of him is a set of condo's where I walked on the water to have a guy toss rocks at me and tell me he is calling the cops and will tell them I tossed rocks at him. When I saw the cops behind him I said, Why would you like like that and he said to get me arrested, That is when the Cops said hello to him after they heard what he said.

As far as I know, Nobody owns the bays and Oceans and it is not private property.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

I'm pretty amazed that people can own a beach over there. Here in au i don't think you can, even with a native title claim if public access exists thats it people can visit it. You can own a private jetty etc, but not the beach it sits on.
I like the kayak idea, i might steal it.

Interesting hunt.
All beaches here from high tide mark to the water and the water itself are considered the "federal zone", nothing homeowners or hotel owners can say or do if you are there. If you want to sit there and set off fireworks and drink they can't say squat. Just wish I could get out there...

I’ll definitely hook up my detector to my kayak and go for a hunt. That seems so cool. I’ll just be worried about droping it in the water while padeling 😂

Nice

Felix, cool pick's, did you see any Crock's or Sharks out thier :?: , doing that in your water's in that small craft i would feel like shark bait , i was in my 13 foot Whaler fishing by the Chesapeake bay bridge with a 9 foot hammer head circling my boat , once this happen's :shock::jawdrop: ya kinda feel like a happy meal :lol:

I am now looking into a inflatable boat to hit a few spots that I can't either park, hike or have no access on public land to get to the water.

Who makes a good inflatable heavy duty boat?

GLHH!

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Felix, cool pick's, did you see any Crock's or Sharks out thier :?: , doing that in your water's in that small craft i would feel like shark bait , i was in my 13 foot Whaler fishing by the Chesapeake bay bridge with a 9 foot hammer head circling my boat , once this happen's :shock::jawdrop: ya kinda feel like a happy meal :lol:
Earl, I surprisingly saw the most sharks and large barracudas near shore that I have ever seen in any one hunt. Around 10-12 sharks up to 5'. I believe they were Nurse sharks though but the barracudas do get my attention because they are stealthier.

Sounds like you had a great time out there despite the annoying park employees. They failed to consider that you were there alone and posed no risk of spreading the virus. That's the whole point of the closures and guidelines.

Have you checked out those little islands off the causeway? It would be a perfect kayaking destination.

I've long wondered what could be found on them. Pirate treasure?

I've long wondered what could be found on them. Pirate treasure?
There is a large sand bar now at low tide that is off one of the causeways when I was growing up that was an actual tiny island with a palm tree or 2 over 40+ years ago. Not many remember it but I do.

Back
Top Bottom