Excal Battery Pack Early Warning Moisture System

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
Last month, I noticed that my Lithium pod in Merlin was acting up. Upon looking inside I noticed the brownish-orange of moisture penetration when I got home. :shock: I had thought it was my battery gasket that didn’t seem as supple as the other one that I have on my charger. In any case, I took it to my buddy Jim that has done all my work on my Excal. He said the battery was shot but what had really caused the issue was a barely noticeable crack on the pod that may have been from a drop. He tried to fix it with an epoxy but after testing it, it wouldn’t hold. New pod new battery needed. (Fortunately, I still had an extra set of battery decals!) When putting it together he thought if there was a way to be able to quickly identify a leak one may be able to mitigate damage. His baby daughter walks by and he notices the strip on her diaper had changed to blue indicating it was wet. :newidea: And this ladies and gentlemen is how my Excal’s battery pod, not only has the usual silica desiccant now, but it also has a very high tech early warning moisture system! My friend will be accepting Paypal donations from all of you that use his idea.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 287
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 242
Wow!

You should be able to retire on this one. It would work inside the control pod too!

You should be able to retire on this one. It would work inside the control pod too!
I guess if you keep the control pod clear without any decals.

So...if the diaper strip turns brown... does that mean your pod just took a poopie ?

pretty good idea. After my TDI started getting moisture buildup I put a few silica packs inside that will change color once they absorb enough water.

Last edited:
Lol

You should be able to retire on this one. It would work inside the control pod too! :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: PS Felix if you take the Merlin sticker off, it won't match your baby blue speedo's :snapoutofit::lol:

You should be able to retire on this one. It would work inside the control pod too! :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: PS Felix if you take the Merlin sticker off, it won't match your baby blue speedo's :snapoutofit::lol:

How you know he wears baby blue speedos ?

Kob reply

Just kidding , Felix is the real deal , if I dug all those pennies he has dug, I'd be dead , he does come up with some real nice finds , takes a lot of cutting up . It's a pleasure to see what he posts next , happy hunting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom