Nat Geo show reminder.

You sure are no Ric Savage!:laughing::laughing::laughing: actually I stumbled across you showmthe other day and thought it was well done. Very cool. BTW, nice stack of goodies you have collected over the years. The ring on your finger is an awesome story and great BLING.

Hello, I lived in the south of England in 1976 and 1977, and during my time there I spent at least 10 weekends digging in the mud of the Thames. I had a Volkswagen camper and camped and dug in Southwark between the site of the Globe theater and Southwark bridge. There was a handy set of concrete stairs that led right down from the street to the ‘foreshore’. That area was a lot of old warehouses then. I’m guessing it’s all apartment buildings now. I suppose the stairs to the mud have been demolished.
At that time anyone could dig in the mud, but you didn’t see more than a handful of people doing that. I don’t really remember any restrictions around the tower, but I never hunted there so there probably were some.
At the time in the UK you were supposed to get a ‘pipefinders license’ to use a metal detector. Just another way for the government to rob you.

Never found anything of great value. Best pieces were a brass counting token (Jeton) that came out of the mud looking like gold. Took it to the BM and they identified it.. 14th century, possibly late 13th. Also a hammered penny from reign of Elizabeth the 1st. Unfortunately I lost the penny many years ago.
I found tons of surface pins, but not much in the way of coins. I was told that pin making had been a cottage industry near the river. There were a few other Victorian and more modern coins, nothing exciting.

I still have a few river things.. a single handmade dice (die?), with a hole that some one bored through to wear as a good luck piece and the token and like, the NGC show, I kept a couple of pipe bowls.

The NGC show brought back a lot of memories. The detectors in the 70’s were useless in the muck of the river. The thing to do then was choose a spot as the tide was going out, dig a hole and use a sifter (with a large screen) in an inner tube at waters edge. The river police were always coming by in boats telling us to fill the holes back in before the tide came back. The river is probably cleaner now, but the ‘foreshore’ looks pretty much the same as I remember it. Sure didn’t see anyone kayaking in the river then.

I lived just north of Portsmouth, in a little town named Southwick. I had a detector that I bought in the UK and detected a lot of local footpaths. I think the detector was a ‘C-Scope’. Mostly found British Army Buttons/Badges and Coins from the 1930’s. The whole area was used for staging of the DDay invasion and the soldiers lost a lot of small stuff.

I did find some live ammo, but quickly got rid of it.. Even then England was not a friendly place for guns/ammo in the hand of ordinary folks.

I don’t detect any more, but I’ve been following this forum for a long time. I do fish the beach a lot here (Atlantic Ocean) in southern Florida and rarely see anyone detecting the beach. The beach I fish does not see many folks on the beach, so it makes sense that there is not much incentive to search where I am.

I am a little bit south of Sebastian, I think that beach does get searched a lot as there were some galleon wrecks in this area. There are two treasure museums in the area, McClarty and Mel Fisher in Sebastian.

Anyway, that was a good show.

I will post a few pictures soon of my old river and dirt finds.

Thanks guys for all the support and great comments. I'm waiting for Nat Geo to get the ratings for the show to see where we go from here.
I hope to do more with them as they do quality.
The show Diggers was put together by another production company and sold to Nat Geo.

Thanks
Ron

Excellent job

Ron,

I was smiling the entire I watched it. This is exactly how metal detecting is in real life. No antics, no explosions, just discussing the ups and downs along with getting into the history. The story behind these finds is bigger than any $$$ for it. I appreciate the knowledge and passion you bring into this hobby. Hopefully test audiences will pick up on this and give you the green light. I would certainly give me more info, tips, tricks, and ideas for future hunts. You are excellent representative of all the MD'ers out there on this forum.

HH, Dan

Was hunting the beach last night when the obigatory tourist and his son asked me what I have found etc. and then said "we were just watching a show the other day on metal detecting" Too which I semi groaned and said oh which one thinking here we go. They said that guy from Chicago who was over in England. Whew thank god I said inside. In any case they loved your show and we chatted a bit about the other two shows and how they don't really depict the hobby very well. Thanks Ron again for promoting the hobby in a professional and factual manor.

I came across it just as it was starting and was really impressed with the show, the people and the history. Great job!

Thanks guys for all the support and great comments. I'm waiting for Nat Geo to get the ratings for the show to see where we go from here.
I hope to do more with them as they do quality.
The show Diggers was put together by another production company and sold to Nat Geo.

Thanks
Ron

Not only was I impressed, I told all my friends to watch. even those who do not metal detect. I also wrote Nat Geo and urged them to do more. I hope everyone does the same. I also put in a little about how horrible "Diggers" was.

Ron,
Have you recorded more shows, or just the one? If they do decide to run another, could it be fairly soon, or would you have to record another? Just curious how long we will have to wait for another program.

Ron, I saw the show the other night. You really put the hobby in a good light compared to all the other shows popping up. Go ahead and pat yourself on the back for me! :yes:

Don't tell me I missed it again, the only one of the MD'ing shows I want to see.

When does it come back on?????

It was well done I liked it. I watch american diggers and I hate how he talks with his hands and yells "Boom Baby". Who really does that?

Ron,
I caught the show lastnight, WELL DONE man! It put metal detecting in a very good light and showed that we don't just tear up peoples property....
Congrats on the 3 year permit!

I just sat and watched all your videos Ron...Wow man you guys haul out the GOLD....Wish I lived a bit closer Id love to come swing with ya...Take and Good luck..Your hunting buddy seems cool does he work with you in the FD?

I've been looking for this show as I missed the first airing. Cant seem to find it on NatGeo on Comcast in Chicago. Will keep looking!

Back
Top Bottom