Coil Covers?

z118

Forum Supporter
I am trying to understand what the purpose of a coil cover is. I have been swinging for about a year and I can't figure out why one would be needed. I am using pretty low brow equipment; are higher end coils more fragile or something? What am I missing here?

Thanks!

A coil cover is used to protect your coil - you can easily scratch up,chip a piece out of,etc. the coil by scrubbing it on rough surfaces (stones,etc.) or by bumping it against something while swinging it. It is "alot" cheaper to replace a coil cover than it is to replace the coil. Steve.

A coil cover is used to protect your coil - you can easily scratch up,chip a piece out of,etc. the coil by scrubbing it on rough surfaces (stones,etc.) or by bumping it against something while swinging it. It is "alot" cheaper to replace a coil cover than it is to replace the coil. Steve.

Thanks SkiWhiz! I'm curious though, are some coils more fragile than others? I've been banging mine around on grass, gravel, dirt, and rocks for a year and it really doesn't look much worse for wear. Maybe other people swing harder than me?

Z -
I had bought one for my BHD 3300. I took it off after a couple of hunts. I found it annoying that sand was getting stuck inside. I also did not want to do that whole silicone thing with the coil &the cover. Bounty Hunter coils are cheap. So I figure if I damage it, new coil. I don't think the sand that I do on 95% of my hunting is going to wear down the coil anytime soon. The MDers that that hunt in more abusive terrain and have much more expensive machines probably want to treat them nicer.

Coil covers?

A couple weeks ago I was at Lake Michigan hunting in the sand. I left there and went to a grassy area by an old school...somewhat a parking strip. I saw some sand coming off the coil as I held it up. When I looked underneath, my coil cover had a crack on one side of it, and a gaping hole off center of it on the other side. The hole was about as large as half the size of a cell phone. I whipped that sucker off and immediately called my fellow I buy all my supplies from and hollered, "Help!" I got my new cover, and ordered another as a backup. I never use my machines without covers.

Trudy

Even though you use a coil cover, you should always take it off every now and then to clean whatever might squeeze into the cover between the coil and the cover. If not they say you could possibly get a false reading...

To keep sand and dirt out of the coil cover seal it with a silicone based sealant, all my detectors have coil covers and I wouldn't detect without one.

Slide a zilncon in between the coil & cover on someone else's auto GB VLF detector and see what happens. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks SkiWhiz! I'm curious though, are some coils more fragile than others? I've been banging mine around on grass, gravel, dirt, and rocks for a year and it really doesn't look much worse for wear. Maybe other people swing harder than me?

It may not LOOK that bad, but you wont be able to see any hairline cracks, and it only take one to let water in = day spoiled.

( what machine are you useing??? )

Back
Top Bottom