Rail Road finds?

Steve77

Elite Member
I have an old railroad track running the depth of my property. The tracks are long gone but the mound that the tracks were on is clearly visible and runs right through my house!
I hunted along the RR bed and was finding odds and ends and some large iron stuff. I was digging every solid tone above FOIL on my silver Umax like I usually do.
I found 2 cogs that were each semicircular. I looked at them to see if they had been broken in halves from the same piece but they are clearly not broken and were made this shape originally. any ID help on these is welcome. the picture with both half gears shows one face up and the other face down. they are about 2 1/2 inches thick overall
I had found another half gear like these about 3/4 of a mile east of here along the railroad bed last year, but if I remember correctly it was a bit smaller.

Well, ever notice how, on a steam locomotive the "driver rods" on the wheels changed a back and forth (steam piston) rocking motion to a circular (wheels) motion? Genius, really. :) Well, I'd guess that your half-gears were stationary, bolted to something and engaged with something *else* that had a back and forth range of motion. OR due to the length of the "teeth" (or convesely the depth of the grooves), it was designed to maintain the back and forth motion preventing the moving part from disengaging while in motion. A safety of sorts. So an assembly closer to the steam piston part of the loco, than the flywheel rod.

Part off a steam loco, I'd say.

SageGrouse

Those are not gears, they are a sort of sprocket/chain wheel, would have had a chain similar to a bicycle chain that fit it...

<*)))>{

What ever they went to, they are in two pieces so they could change the speed of something without taking everything apart to do so...

A bicycle for example, to take the back sprocket off, you need to take the whole wheel off... If it was made like the above, you could keep the wheel on..

<*)))>{

What ever they went to, they are in two pieces so they could change the speed of something without taking everything apart to do so...

A bicycle for example, to take the back sprocket off, you need to take the whole wheel off... If it was made like the above, you could keep the wheel on..

<*)))>{

I believe you are spot on with your assessment, especially considering the 2 halves were found within feet of one another. Thanks!
Now to narrow down what it was for.

They could also be for levers of some sort. Possibly on a train. You could move the lever back and forth, and they would lock in the holes.

Continuing from what I side before, the cogs would sit under the "slit" on the floor. Pulling the clutch on the lever would release it from the holes on the cog. Then you can pull the lever back or forth and release the clutch to lock it back in a hole.

This is just an idea though! :D

Attachments

• train lever.jpg
    train lever.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 282
thanks for all the input. kinda neat having the RR run through my yard. my septic system covers a large portion of the railway, but I hope to detect mote of it soon.

Track drive sprocket, from some type of equipment such as a dozer etc.

i don't believe it is railroad related but off some type of farm or construction equipment, could have been used at the railroad of course.

Track drive sprocket, from some type of equipment such as a dozer etc.

i don't believe it is railroad related but off some type of farm or construction equipment, could have been used at the railroad of course.

I like this idea also, i have operated excavating equipment and think this is quite reasonable. Probably never know exactly what machine it was on i guess. Probably will make it's way to the scrap pile someday. Its been neat to ask people locally too. It's a unique conversation piece, but not quite appropriate for the coffee table:dontthinkso:

Looks similar to the sprocket found on a ditch witch trencher. Could even be from a undercutter if ballast is or was present.

Back
Top Bottom