First Silver

Knottyoak

I decided to change things up a little, get out of the woods and pastures until we get some cooler weather, and detect somewhere a little easier on my decrepit carcass.
A nice fellow gave me permission to hunt four adjacent empty lots he owns on one of the main streets in the run-down part of town. That area was once the hub of activity, when the railroad was operating, and it's very near the site of the first settlement here, a village called "St. Michaels", founded by French lead miners in the 18th century.
The earliest map I've found shows buildings on those lots in 1939, and I can remember when there were houses there. Now it's all regularly mowed grass with a few trees, and bits of sidewalk and retaining walls here and there.
I think the site has good potential, and it began to produce this morning.
I was lucky enough to find my first silver coin, an elusive 1919 merc, hiding under a root, along with a 1946 wheatie, and a couple other pennys.
The place is pretty trashy along the street, hoping it'll get better deeper in.

Attachments

• first silver.jpg
    first silver.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 223
Congrats on your first. Isn't that such a great sight to see a 90 percenter in the dirt? Instantly recognizable as non-clad. Hope there are many more to come.

Thanks, Stiffwrists. Yep, that was quite a sight, I came close to doing a little jig.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your first silver; it's in great shape! :clapping: Nice job on the '46 wheatie, too.

Knottyoak - nice find! A GREAT looking 1919 first Silver, I would do the "happy dance" on that find anytime!

Congratulations on your first silver; it's in great shape! Nice job on the '46 wheatie, too

Congratulations! It is a nice looking coin.

Love Mercs!
Congrats on your first silver!

Thanks everyone

Congrats on your first silver! Many more Ag to come đź–’

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

It's always good to hear about someone's first silver coin found with a detector. I think the Mercury dime is perfect for this. They are so attractively designed, obviously from a bygone era, usually shine nicely-right from the dirt, and gives you incentive to find more. Plus, you don't get spoiled like you would if it was a silver dollar, or half, or one of the older quarters. Yours was found right at one hundred years old too! Perfect!
...and you know there's more there! :yes:

Nice looking Mercury dime. My first ever silver coin was a Mercury and I still remember where I found it. This find will probably be remembered for a long time. Congrats.

Back
Top Bottom