Beach scoop advice

IDXMonster

Elite Member
I know this has been hashed out by many, but this might be a bit different.
In phase 1, I’m going to hunt perhaps up to waist deep in inland(Wisconsin) freshwater looking for coins and jewelry this year to some degree. ANY water hunting I do will consist of a true swimming beach....sand everywhere and it will slope into the water gradually...the classic “beach”. I won’t be hunting anything but sand...no “muck” or boulders,etc.
In phase 2, I will be hunting shallower water in rivers perhaps up to my knees, depending on how fast the water is. This will consist of some gravels and rocks perhaps to the size of a baseball at times.
I’m not worried about price. I’m looking for advice on what works THE BEST, not “what works”. I’m pretty handy with a welder so I could make something “work”.
People who have had experience in these conditions...what say you? I’ve had a lengthy PM back and forth with a forum member here who has pointed out a lot of stuff, but I’d like to see what others have to say about inland rivers and freshwater hunting, and what might be different about it as opposed to hunting the ocean beaches.
Thanks!

Don't buy a cheap one made of aluminum, won’t last.
Stainless steel the wider the better with a wooden handle.,my handle floats up to surface.
When you find a target slide the scoop up to the coil then remove coil tilt and scoop.
JMO.
Doug

Stainless steel the wider the better with a wooden handle.,my handle floats up to surface.
When you find a target slide the scoop up to the coil then remove coil tilt and scoop.
JMO.
Doug

Doug, the aluminum from what I’ve heard previously is a no-no for anyone hunting a lot. And I hunt a lot! The wooden handle seems to hold up even under some heavy leverage? If so, I assume most go with ASH? Is carbon lighter and more robust but just expensive? I’m worried about carbon and it’s propensity to SHATTER...does this happen with a scoop handle?
Thanks for your input...

Doug, the aluminum from what I’ve heard previously is a no-no for anyone hunting a lot. And I hunt a lot! The wooden handle seems to hold up even under some heavy leverage? If so, I assume most go with ASH? Is carbon lighter and more robust but just expensive? I’m worried about carbon and it’s propensity to SHATTER...does this happen with a scoop handle?
Thanks for your input...

Not true if you get one with a SS lip... it will last for years

RTGBB6

http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgaluminumscoops.htm

http://www.rtgstore.com/scoops/sstipbig.jpg

I agree with Craig on the aluminum. My last RTG lasted about 4 years. Hard sand , gravel , rocks. Used heavily. That 1 didn't have the SS tip. It was great . I didn't expect it to last forever and it was only $125. Now I have 1 with the SS tip , custom made for THE KOB so will see. Yeah , there's better that I have owned for sure. But stainless , carbon fiber and now titanium all have a BIG cost : $300-550. So if money isn't an issue , go for it.....

IDX, stay out of the water in WI. I don't need any more competition. Lol. Been water detecting forever (at least it seems like it). Everything said in the other posts are true. You only list 2 scenario but I guarantee once you start finding gold you will be singing another tune. When I first started in water, I like you, planned on only detecting in local beaches at lakes and rivers. I go on a lot of trips (both in and out of the US) so I always take a detector or 2. I use a big aluminum scoop (no stainless tip) that does take a beating when I use it as a pry bar in rocky river beds. About twice a year, I use a pliers to straighten it out and file away all the rough edges. I keep saying that I will get a stainless scoop when my aluminum wears out but I have only lost 1 1/2 to maybe 2inches off the original 10 inches. Wood handles are great cuz they float but not sturdy enough for a lot of cranking. Carbon handles (when they are in stock) are the best. My aluminum handle comes in 2 pieces. This will be necessary when you start to travel with it. I break mine in half so they fit in your suitcase. I never put my detector in the checked baggage. I always carry it on. That being said, you have to have a rod for your detector that also is able to break down to fit in your carry on. To sum this up, I would recommend a stainless that has a pointed tip with the small screen at the back to catch smaller targets. Wider is also better. Makes it easier to pick up targets. Get a carbon handle that will break down. Good luck and stay out of WI waters. PJ

I just got my T-Rex yesterday and I am impressed with it.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

I just got my T-Rex yesterday and I am impressed with it.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

I have been using the big t-rex for six or seven years. I have dug tens of thousands of holes in the heavy wet sand. I first got the original model and it cracked but warranty covered the repair and upgrade. A year or so I had a couple small crack develop and took it to a local shop and had it fixed.

They are heavy but they work.

IDX, stay out of the water in WI. I don't need any more competition. Lol. Been water detecting forever (at least it seems like it). Everything said in the other posts are true. You only list 2 scenario but I guarantee once you start finding gold you will be singing another tune. When I first started in water, I like you, planned on only detecting in local beaches at lakes and rivers. I go on a lot of trips (both in and out of the US) so I always take a detector or 2. I use a big aluminum scoop (no stainless tip) that does take a beating when I use it as a pry bar in rocky river beds. About twice a year, I use a pliers to straighten it out and file away all the rough edges. I keep saying that I will get a stainless scoop when my aluminum wears out but I have only lost 1 1/2 to maybe 2inches off the original 10 inches. Wood handles are great cuz they float but not sturdy enough for a lot of cranking. Carbon handles (when they are in stock) are the best. My aluminum handle comes in 2 pieces. This will be necessary when you start to travel with it. I break mine in half so they fit in your suitcase. I never put my detector in the checked baggage. I always carry it on. That being said, you have to have a rod for your detector that also is able to break down to fit in your carry on. To sum this up, I would recommend a stainless that has a pointed tip with the small screen at the back to catch smaller targets. Wider is also better. Makes it easier to pick up targets. Get a carbon handle that will break down. Good luck and stay out of WI waters. PJ

Lol!! I’ll buzz you this weekend PJ...thanks for the info!

I bought a Whites stainless steel scoop. It’s great in sand but not great in hardpack or rock and gravel. Wish I bought a pointed scoop.

I bought a Whites stainless steel scoop. It’s great in sand but not great in hardpack or rock and gravel. Wish I bought a pointed scoop.

A pointed scoop on the beach , in the hardpack , is the single most important aspect to look for in a scoop. Efficiency without rolling your ankle or foot is paramount. Remember : time is your enemy on a beach with any kind of surf. You learned this the hard way and came with experience. That's ok. We all did it....

Holy !!!!! That scoop cost more than a lot of good detectors!

Yes and next to a good detector comes a great scoop as part of the toolbox. Fortunately this ultra lightweight design is available finally for folks that need it.
I have OA and some of the meds I take cost way more per month.
First time out with the scoop yesterday and I was blessed with a Tiffany PT950 wedding band. The value of that band paid for the scoop, and the Equinox.
Good luck!

I know this has been hashed out by many, but this might be a bit different.
In phase 1, I’m going to hunt perhaps up to waist deep in inland(Wisconsin) freshwater looking for coins and jewelry this year to some degree. ANY water hunting I do will consist of a true swimming beach....sand everywhere and it will slope into the water gradually...the classic “beach”. I won’t be hunting anything but sand...no “muck” or boulders,etc.
In phase 2, I will be hunting shallower water in rivers perhaps up to my knees, depending on how fast the water is. This will consist of some gravels and rocks perhaps to the size of a baseball at times.
I’m not worried about price. I’m looking for advice on what works THE BEST, not “what works”. I’m pretty handy with a welder so I could make something “work”.
People who have had experience in these conditions...what say you? I’ve had a lengthy PM back and forth with a forum member here who has pointed out a lot of stuff, but I’d like to see what others have to say about inland rivers and freshwater hunting, and what might be different about it as opposed to hunting the ocean beaches.
Thanks!
if the river contains a fraction like a walnut or more, then I definitely recommend you to choose a strong scoop (as an example of Stavr scoop Monstrik-9 )thick jumpers holes
for the ocean, a lightweight scoop with a large 1/2 "hole is more suitable

Ruslan.

JMO.
Doug

I have 15 plus years on a RTG aluminum scoop with a stainless lip. Of course it has been in the shop for re-welds. Even cut in half at the lower support and added a solid rod inside. But it is lite, tough, and a digging machine.

Since I hunt with a GT Sovereign in PP-mode going to guess I have dug more than many forum members put together.

The problem with a "point" scoop is two fold. You can't swing it back and fourth to cut into hard pack and the point scoops usually are made with a lesser basket and it can lead to rough water knocking targets out of the scoop.

My two pesos. Dave

I have been using the big t-rex for six or seven years. I have dug tens of thousands of holes in the heavy wet sand. I first got the original model and it cracked but warranty covered the repair and upgrade. A year or so I had a couple small crack develop and took it to a local shop and had it fixed.

They are heavy but they work.

I have a newer T Rex (with all the updates) It's strong but wish I got it with larger 1/2 inch holes.
Have used it in big rocks with no issues.

Dave me and you arent on the same sheet of music when it comes to a pointed scoop and hard pan. ROUND nosed scoops roll on you especially those aluminum ones. I like Stavr scoops.... they clear easily, are made well..very well, and dont break the bank. Thats why some of his ideas have been used by other scoop makers.... like those rods. They arent overly long ... and a lot of times thats where all the damage comes from.... not to mention the physical toll on the body. You need a scoop designed to handle the material you are work with as well..... too small of hole you will need a sifter.

Back
Top Bottom