Question for the Excalibur Experts

Compass

Forum Supporter
Recently I've noticed a problem with my Excal. At first, everything is working fine, hunting in pp then switching to disc with my grip toggle switch. However, after a while, when I switch to disc mode, the detector stays in pinpoint for several seconds before going into disc mode and even then sometimes bounces back to pinpoint on its own.
Could this be a battery problem since it doesn't seem to happen right away or perhaps something happens to the electronics after things warm up a bit?
Sorry if this topic has come up before and I missed it but I appreciate any responses. GL&HH!

My first guess......its your switch

Second maybe a bad cable..I just repaired someone else PP job..they used a small thin cable that had got a break in one of the wires

Second maybe a bad cable..I just repaired someone else PP job..they used a small thin cable that had got a break in one of the wires
Thanks for the quick reply OBN- that gives me a place to start.

This is the one I repaired, I was thinking the switch was bad..so I replaced it...and it still did not work, so I checked the small wire and sure enough to fragile for this type of usage. I pushed the wire around and it would work...then stop...a small break internally. So I'm in the process of replacing with a better cable..one used for robotic's and will out last the machine.

Attachments

• 86738658_215581769487226_8240185857374420992_n.jpg
    86738658_215581769487226_8240185857374420992_n.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 347
  • 86970273_185347919409609_5140808706346188800_n.jpg
    86970273_185347919409609_5140808706346188800_n.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 349
  • 86812154_862848400826570_6778535420561981440_n.jpg
    86812154_862848400826570_6778535420561981440_n.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 353
First thing I would look at is the switch. The switch is the weak link. Think you have to replace them every two seasons or so. When replacing use a toggle boot with thick plumbers silicone inside and around the newly soldered switch threads. Use marine epoxy on the back of the switch over the connections. Use a small wrap of electrical tape around the bottom of the switch upside down to hold the epoxy until dry. Only way I have been able to keep the switch working well.

First thing I would look at is the switch. The switch is the weak link. Think you have to replace them every two seasons or so. When replacing use a toggle boot with thick plumbers silicone inside and around the newly soldered switch threads. Use marine epoxy on the back of the switch over the connections. Use a small wrap of electrical tape around the bottom of the switch upside down to hold the epoxy until dry. Only way I have been able to keep the switch working well.

Thanks OBN & imalookin2! I did some testing today. Even though the problem was intermittent using the grip toggle switch to change modes it NEVER exhibited the same symptoms when I changed modes using the original switch on the control "tube"- I agree, most likely the switch or, possibly, the cabling near the switch. Pretty sure the electronics are fine which is a huge relief and really appreciated your feedback! :yes: GL&HH!

I was so tempted to do the mod early on but for some reason my disc knob never leaves PP and hasn't for a good 3-4 years now. I have an "issue" not digging (fanning out) faint PP signals;)
Glad you got you problem sorted out Compass.

I was so tempted to do the mod early on but for some reason my disc knob never leaves PP and hasn't for a good 3-4 years now. I have an "issue" not digging (fanning out) faint PP signals;)
Glad you got you problem sorted out Compass.
So how do you fan a target that is 14 inch's deep? A question I have for I was considering a hooka. But I can't see myself getting down that deep fanning. Then I was thinking, dig the target with a scoop, then walk in to where I can put it in the sifter..but it's going to take a lot of lead to keep me down. I wore 15 pounds the other day..wore me out in 4 hours.

So how do you fan a target that is 14 inch's deep? A question I have for I was considering a hooka. But I can't see myself getting down that deep fanning. Then I was thinking, dig the target with a scoop, then walk in to where I can put it in the sifter..but it's going to take a lot of lead to keep me down. I wore 15 pounds the other day..wore me out in 4 hours.

At 14"...slowly and with a good breath hold. I'm a minimalist at heart so no scuba or hooka. Most of the time I don't bring a scoop at all. 12lbs keeps me down comfortably with a 1.5mm long sleeve wetsuit top. 4-6 hours is about my limit as well. Sure do sleep good after a hunt though:yes: Of course I suspect the waters much warmer and clearer here then in your neck of the woods Joe.

Get a digital multimeter with a good low resistance measuring setting. With detector off, put it across the switch terminals or better yet at the board inputs - use alligator clips to fixate the connections. Flip the switch and look for good stable low ohms on the contact and a fast recovery to high ohms on the open. Now set the meter to voltage DC, turn the detector on, and test both switch positions again. Any excessive delay could be an issue with the cable or switch. Any high resistance is the switch if measured at the switch or cable if only at the board.
You could also try a resistance check end to end of each cable wire while you move the cable around.

Back
Top Bottom