Need new shovel

cwirth

I have a serrated hand shovel that works pretty good but I am finding it tough to always have to bend over or get down on my old 66 year old knees. I am thinking about getting a shovel with a handle. I am 5'6" and wanted one that won't get much attention when at parks and school yards. Not sure what length handle would be best. Thought about 18" since it will carry nicely but don't want to get anything too short. Any suggestions on what shovels I should look at?

I have a serrated hand shovel that works pretty good but I am finding it tough to always have to bend over or get down on my old 66 year old knees. I am thinking about getting a shovel with a handle. I am 5'6" and wanted one that won't get much attention when at parks and school yards. Not sure what length handle would be best. Thought about 18" since it will carry nicely but don't want to get anything too short. Any suggestions on when shovels I should look at?

At 65 I find myself in the same position so I got myself a Radius Mini Root Slayer. It is 29" long and light enough I can hang it on my side and it hugs my leg to not look so obvious.

I always used to say carrying a shovel around while metal detecting was a bad idea. Gave onlookers the wrong impression. Today I have little choice if I want to still hunt with all my medical issues. I do try and keep it out of sight as much as possible, and only use it in the places I feel will be no problem. But I love the way this thing eats through thick roots.

Attachments

• diggers-tools.jpg
    diggers-tools.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 944
+ one on the Radius Root Slayer Mini Digger.
Great little shovel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a serrated hand shovel that works pretty good but I am finding it tough to always have to bend over or get down on my old 66 year old knees. I am thinking about getting a shovel with a handle. I am 5'6" and wanted one that won't get much attention when at parks and school yards. Not sure what length handle would be best. Thought about 18" since it will carry nicely but don't want to get anything too short. Any suggestions on what shovels I should look at?

What's your budget?

I agree with the predator tools shovels the hard part is figuring out which one you want because they all look great I went with the Model 24 Phoenix shovel also purchased the Lady Bug shovel and the predator tools Raptor hand digger all three are fantastic tools

I just bought the model 24 as well. Got a model 85 digger too. Can't wait till they get here!

On a side note:

Detector,

I use the same Predator "Raptor" hand digging tool as you have. It's a little bit harder to get in the ground than the standard narrow diggers that a lot of detectorists use, but with the Raptor, you don't have to dig as much, and it's far more efficient than the narrow digging trowels.

Buy the least noticeable shovel, color and length. I still stand by the Sampson line, 31" and the 18" length. Seriously, those with bright colors are asking for eyes to see. I hunt in mainly public areas, not the sticks or woods or fields. The Sampson line is tough and inconspicuous IMPO.

Best Shovel

I went to Lowe's and purchased a wooden "D" handled trenching shovel. It is pretty narrow, but not to narrow. The shovel part is like 16 inches long. I have an electric metal cutting tool, forget what it's called and outlined the bottom of the shovel. I moved up the so that the digging part was twelve inches and traced the same shape as at the bottom and made the cut. A friend welded on a metal plate where the foot goes so it's more comfortable using my foot. It is a strong shovel and just the right length.
I think a "D" handle is better than the "T" handle.

I realize this thread is several months old but, I use the predator barracuda. Been using it for a few years now. I have worn the blade down to about the size of 31" lesche blade. The teeth are just about gone :laughing: if and when I need a new shovel, it will hands down be a predator model. Cheap and digging tools should not be in the same sentence IMO. They work don't get me wrong, but for longevity, the pricier models will be the best route. Good luck with your decision!

Back
Top Bottom