Shovels vs. diggers

Curious how many of you use a shovel as opposed to a hand trowel or digger?

Shovels in the forest and farm fields, hand diggers everywhere else.
Some say they use shovels in public areas like parks, but I and others believe no matter how small the holes you dig with these the public perception about them is a quicker route to getting us banned.

I use both tools. Shovel in public is not good. I'll only use my shovel in the woods and on private property. In public I use a Lesche digger which I do not carry on my belt but rather tucked in my finds pouch (in its sheath). I do not want to look like I am carrying a weapon. HH. Matt

I personally use a small stainless steel spade. As the majority of my digs are on farm land there is no real problem! If we were allowed to dig in parks in the U.K., like you in the states do, then it is easy just to dig out a neat small square turf and replace it as soon as you have finished and with hardly a trace of the hole! As I am an oldie and would need to get on my knees to dig with a trowel, I would need assistance to get to my feet again!!!:oldguy:

Where I hunt inland I use screwdrivers 90% of the time. Around here heat kills the grass on even the most carefully dug plug. I've been experimenting on my own yard for three years to see how our grasses respond over time. Those dead spots around here aren't dog urine i'll put it that way. Our soil is sandy. Once you disturb the roots the grass is stunted in the heat. I'd only use a digger if I was 90 percent sure it was silver. Gold I could care less if I scratch it up.

I use the Preditor digging tool..it is a small digging end with a 30 inch handle and has a ball at the tip..I use this to help get me up off the ground...never have used a shovel...also have a Leashe small digging tool..but like I said..the 30 incher gets me off my knees better...Buster....:yes:

Shovels have their place and that's sure not in a public park,If in any public area where folks frequent a lot use your digger or better yet get yourself a gasket scraper or screwdriver and pop the coins,I seen where folks MD'ing used shovels and it is not very pretty,heck some folks that dig with diggers could use some practice from what i have encountered out there.Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

Right now the ground is like butter and the Wilcox 102 works great.... when it dries up the Sampson 31 is a great tool, but not in a public place.

Some say they use shovels in public areas like parks, but I and others believe no matter how small the holes you dig with these the public perception about them is a quicker route to getting us banned.

+1. Using a shovel in a park just doesn't send the right message.

Couldn't have said it any better. :)

I have also been looking at the best shovel for digging the cleanest plugs. I am wondering if anyone has some thoughts on the Predator Phoenix or the longer Predator Hurricane. The few videos I have seen on Youtube that showcase the Phoenix are impressive.

This is my first post.

Predator Spike user here. Love it, I stick with the short shovel because I hike a lot for my digs. But incredibly sharp and clean plugs in the woods or the park.

I have also been looking at the best shovel for digging the cleanest plugs. I am wondering if anyone has some thoughts on the Predator Phoenix or the longer Predator Hurricane. The few videos I have seen on Youtube that showcase the Phoenix are impressive.

This is my first post.

I’ve only had my Phoenix for a few days but from what I’ve seen so far it definitely digs clean plugs as long as you’re digging in soft grassy ground. For hard packed soil I prefer my Barracuda’s straight pointier blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ive seen a person using a small pick and making one heck of a mess. personally i use a small digger

I used an 8" shanked screwdriver for 25 years without any issues until I got the E-Trac. I had to step up to a 10" shanked screwdriver. I got a hand Raptor and it works great. After a lot of medical issues, mainly age, I tried a mini Root Slayer once in the park but it just went against all I felt was right. I now just use it in open fields.

Even though in my experience the best recovery tool is the shovel, when used right, the visual to others does nothing but hurt our hobby.

This is my tool kit. The shovel stays behind unless I'm out hunting fort sites away from the public eye.

Attachments

• diggers-tools.jpg
    diggers-tools.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 396
I use a Leshe Sampson shovel most of the time, even when I do the occasional park or yard. Dig a three-sided plug, dig straight down to save the roots, replace all the loose dirt when your done and tap in the edges of the plug before you do the center. Doing it this way it's hard to know you dug. Country folks are not as concerned about a manicured yard.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom