Recommended harness for my achy elbow/arm

Candyman

Hello. Was hoping to get some recommendations on a user friendly/comfortable harness for hours of detecting. My elbow and arm take a beating every time I go detecting and it is time for a change. I have seen many different types for sale but none have perfect reviews. Anyone have one they would "highly" recommend?

David

Hello. Was hoping to get some recommendations on a user friendly/comfortable harness for hours of detecting. My elbow and arm take a beating every time I go detecting and it is time for a change. I have seen many different types for sale but none have perfect reviews. Anyone have one they would "highly" recommend?

David

As someone who has had arthritis in both elbows their entire life and had surgery on my dominant arm, I can literally feel your pain. I am in the same boat and I am currently using the detectorpal harness. You can find it easily on amazon for like 30 bucks. It does a great job of taking some of the weight off my elbow allowing me to swing for longer. My only gripe is that the elastic bits seem to be pretty low quality and will likely stop being stretchy soon, but its so cheap its not too hard to buy another. Hope that helps!

I had that one on my radar and it appears to be pretty user friendly. Thank you for your recommendation. I have ordered one. Will let you know how well it works out.

David

I had that one on my radar and it appears to be pretty user friendly. Thank you for your recommendation. I have ordered one. Will let you know how well it works out.

David

Sounds good, hopefully you can get some relief. If that doesn't work there's always lots of ibuprofen!

Hi Candyman.

Two other options are periodically switching arms and/or using a smaller coil. I don't know if you do either of those, but you did say arm and elbow in the singular :)

Regarding the smaller coil: If you're using something like an 11" DD round coil, you may want to switch to something like a 9x5 DD elliptical, or even a 6" DD round coil. Lighter weight is just one of the many benefits of using a smaller coil on many sites, and depth loss on coin sized objects with a smaller coil, is much less than what a lot of people think.

I am not too sharp today....Heat and smoke......what detector is giving you arm and shoulder pain Candyman?

Yes, I would like to know which detector, also, as a different solution (counterweighting) would very likely ease or eliminate your pain issues, but I only build shafts compatible with my counterweighting system, for certain machines...

Thanks,

Steve
Steve's Detector Rods

It is my old Garrett AT Pro. I have tried switching coils and balancing but still gets achy. The joys of getting older I guess : (

Candyman,

I build a shaft for the AT Pro -- a complete shaft, with an upper that can be made "counterweight-ready" (i.e., a threaded fitting installed in the butt end that allows one of my counterweights to be attached). That counterweight, I'm nearly certain, would really help, with your achy elbow. The reason I say that is, your "achy elbow" is likely tendonitis, similar to "golfer's elbow" or "tennis elbow." And that form of tendonitis is often caused by "repetitive motion" (swinging a golf club, or tennis racket, or metal detector), COMBINED with tight grip pressure. And what is the cause of the tendency for tight grip pressure on a detector? The cause, is the fact that the machine is NOSE-HEAVY!

When a machine is nose-heavy, you must fight to counteract that nose-heaviness by applying force with your hand and wrist, a "torquing, upward-directed" force that you exert to lift the coil and keep it floating. And so, the more nose-heavy the machine is, the more force you need to exert, and the more force you try to exert, the more you tend to grip the handle of the machine tightly -- and hence, tendonitis can eventually begin to flare up.

The cure for tendonitis is rest, and then to keep it from recurring, you need to reduce your grip pressure. And the best way to reduce grip pressure is to balance the machine, SO THAT your hand/wrist are not having to lift the coil, but instead you leave that job (lifting the coil) to the COUNTERWEIGHT. Think see-saw, or teeter-totter. If you have weight (a child) that needs to be lifted at one end of the see-saw, you simply place weight (another child) on the opposite end of the see-saw. In a rough/rudimentary way, that's relatively analogous to what counterweighting does for you, on your detector, to lift the coil. You can achieve somewhat of the same effect with a harness (i.e. letting the harness help lift the coil), but to me, a harness is cumbersome and restrictive. That's why I feel that counterweighting is the better option.

Make sense?

Steve

make sure you have your forearm strapped in... I tried to get away with not using the armcuff and started getting real bad trigger finger with a couple fingers on each hand locking up on me... I was literally waking up unsnapping my fingers! As soon as I strapped up again 80% better...winter break for me coming in 2 months.. I need it over 120 hunts this year...

I use this one from amazon, I just put in over the back of my neck... Low cost solid build...

Limbsaver Comfort-Tech 24504 Metal Detector Sling

I also applied vet tape to cushion the hard handle on the Equinox I have...better grip.

Thanks to everyone with all of the good tips/recommendations. I got the strap today and will try it out this weekend. It should come in handy with swinging my weed wacker as well. Will do a follow up on my weekend outing. Hopefully the elbow survives this time around

Back
Top Bottom