2 Etrac questions...nails and coil

Silverfishin

Elite Member
I owned the Etrac since spring and happy with it. Getting the hang of it pretty well but theres a few things im curious about though if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Been digging alot of nails lately.. pretty frustrating. I get around a deep 22-46reading and its tempting not to dig because of the 46. But then when I do its a deep nail. I can put the nail on surface and re scan and it nulls it out.:?: Is there anyway around this so I know its a rusty nail?

I been using only the stock 11" DD coil. Is there a better general purpose coil out there that I should/can be using?. Not too concerned about the cost if there is if its better. Im just doing yards and old public property/parks for coins.

Each site can be different. Now I'm going to assume you're getting that reading one way, then null on the 90 (or not get near as good of a hit) and get a good sound on the 180º.

You can go into QuickMask and see what the reading is and also "listen" to the "length" of the sound. A high, long crackling sound with the typical 35-46 reading is 99.99999% iron.

Each site is different and warrants some digging investigation to make sure.

NebTrac

Etracs love deep nails, it's up to you to decifer the deep iron from deep silver!
Deep iron can bleed though the discrimination especially if the deector is running a hot setting!

Two good replies here. This is all part of learning the machine. Gotta dig it all till you can hear the difference. It's very hard to explain. Always listen for a good mostly repeatable hit. It if moves around or doesn't repeat.... Iron.

Back
Top Bottom