ANyone made a Garrett Ace waterproof?

Gimmie The Loot

Elite Member
It's over 100 here in Texas and I need to start detecting in creeks. Was looking at AT Pro but dang, $600! I was thinking about the possibility of making my old ACE 250 water resistant somehow. I don;t plan on scuba with it, but wading in the creek and probably getting it wet once in a while on accident.

ANyone modded something like this to tolerate a little water?

I think there's a company that makes a waterproof box for the Ace series. Do a search on here and you should find it. Thinking it may be a Ukrainian company.

I made mine water resistant. Actually tested it in the beginning of hurricane Sandy. Worked well. Still functioning fine.

What I did was paint the circuit board with liquid electrical tape. Also, I silicones all the holes and made a silicone gasket around the seam in the case.

I have pics somewhere... I can dig them up if you're interested.

Just keep in mind, you have to give the liquid tape plenty of time (like hours) to cure. Turning on the unit while still wet is a very bad idea.

Also, YMMV. I had good results.

Ive seen them somewhere for less but I cant remember where. :?:

Even at over $90 that's not bad compared to the price of a new waterproof detector. Well worth it if you want to get into the water.

No I hear you, $90 to magically have a waterproof machine is good. But I was saying $90 for a plastic box that more than likely cost less than $5 in materials seems a bit steep. Free market trade and supply vs demand I suppose.

(They are pretty cool looking and look well thought out!)

No I hear you, $90 to magically have a waterproof machine is good. But I was saying $90 for a plastic box that more than likely cost less than $5 in materials seems a bit steep. Free market trade and supply vs demand I suppose.

(They are pretty cool looking and look well thought out!)

True , that is a really expensive plastic box :lol:

Anyone interested in one just has to get over that part of it and realize that as a detecting accessory this one probably offers more potential than most other accessories. I cant vouch for their quality since Ive never used one or seen one in person , but for someone with an ace to become a true water hunter is huge.

One on the bay now for 80....still steep but not 600 $ steep lol...plus after buying all the supplies to waterproof it yourself , your running near 80$ anywho? HH!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-07-16-00-23-12.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-07-16-00-23-12.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 294
Back
Top Bottom