One for Iron Patch

Blueonceagain

Elite Member
Not that it matters either way but for further education.This is a 1799 Birmingham(soho)Halfpenny. Real or not? I think I know what youre going to say.:yes:

Attachments

• Picture 398.jpg
    Picture 398.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 408
  • Picture 400.jpg
    Picture 400.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 390
Very high % it's real. There are counterfeits for the 1799, 1806 & 07, but a very low number compared to George II and especially 1770s George III. American interest is pretty much lost after 1775 so it would have to be something pretty wild for them to get excited about a 1799. Now if an old die was used for one side, that is something that would created a buzz, but never seen it, and I'm sure we never will.

The 1800s counterfeits, at least the few I've seen are very close to the regal issues. There might be more out there than I realize, but are so close no one gives them a 2nd thought.

I bet you thought I was going to say counterfeit. :)

These copper George coins really confuse me as to real and fake.No problem with the silver though.:lol: Thanks for the information.

There's some valuable George counterfeits that exist so if you ever find something that really seems off follow up on it.

I dont really know about that 1783 halfpenny.I cant get a decent photy and the date is worn but with magnifying glass it looks like an 8 to me.Probably wrong though.

I dont really know about that 1783 halfpenny.I cant get a decent photy and the date is worn but with magnifying glass it looks like an 8 to me.Probably wrong though.

Sounds like the condition is too poor to bother, and yes the chances of it being 83 is very slim.

I cant get any closer with my camera so these are the best I can do.

Attachments

• Picture 737.jpg
    Picture 737.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 297
  • Picture 747.jpg
    Picture 747.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 389
Either you would have to see a clear date, or find a picture of a 1783 counterfeit to match to. I'd probably not pursue it further unless you are quite sure that third digit is an 8.

Back
Top Bottom