So what do you guys do in the winter?

ProfitOfDoom

Im new to MD and I just got mine today. I tried to go out but it was really cold and couldnt take more then 20 minutes out there. I was just wondering what all you hard core MD do to keep busy till it gets nicer out?

after the hunting seasons all close not much...

lay around and watch tv, drink beer, work on my motorcycles, ride my snowmobile(if theres any snow) and hit the gym 6 days a week, that about sums up the majority of my late winter activities

this time of the year really s*cks...

Winter is my favorite time of year to water hunt here in Connecticut, if you dress correctly you stay nice and warm and no one else is out there competing with you for finds.

Research. I spend a great deal of winter lining up places to go come spring time. Also, during the hunting season I throw all my unidentified items in a box to be cleaned and identified later.

P.O.D.

I am new at this too, so this has been my first winter dealing with withdrawl. I've been readinig up on my local history and reading or watching anything I can find on metal detecting. I just got the Dankowski dvd yesterday. For me it was the best of the videos or books that I've seen so far. He got into a lot of stuff in his test garden showing how differnt things registered at different depths an angles, and things about masking that were really interesting.

Last winter I was able to detect, this winter I wasn't. When I can't detect, I research.

I've not been out as much, but I still MD the sledding hills and parking lots. Can't dig too deep into the frozen ground, but there's a bunch of stuff in the snow.

Watch it snow, go remove it, drink beer, watch it snow some more, go remove it, drink more beer, watch it snow again, drink the rest of the beer. :lol: Other than that, just some research on new sites.

hoser said:
Watch it snow, go remove it, drink beer, watch it snow some more, go remove it, drink more beer, watch it snow again, drink the rest of the beer. :lol: Other than that, just some research on new sites.

sounds like after this weekend your going to be pretty busy then... ;)

Forecast for: Black River Falls, WI 54615
Updated: 2/23/2007 3:39:00 PM

Important Message
Winter storm warning in effect until 6 PM cst Sunday.

Now through 06:00 PM CST February 23, 2007
Snow will begin to increase in coverage and intensity through 6 PM. The bulk of accumulating snow will begin early this evening after 6 PM. Until then...any accumulations will be on the order of a half inch or less. Some sleet may occur as well as this Major winter storm moves in and affects the area.

Tonight
Snow...brisk. Snow accumulation of 4 to 5 inches. Lows in the lower 20s. East winds 15 to 25 mph.

Saturday
Snow...windy. Snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. Highs around 30. East winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts to around 40 mph. Chance of snow 90 percent.

Saturday Night
Snow...windy. Snow accumulation of 5 to 7 inches. Lows in the lower 20s. East winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts to around 40 mph. Near blizzard conditions possible. Chance of snow 100 percent.

Sunday
Snow...brisk. Light snow accumulation possible. Highs in the lower 30s. East winds 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 90 percent.

Sunday Night
Cloudy with a chance of snow. Lows near 20. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 50 percent.

Monday
Cloudy with a chance of snow. Highs in the lower 30s. Chance of snow 40 percent.

I hunt year round. If the ground is frozen, I hit the salt water beaches and hunt the wet salt sand, which takes bit more to freeze. When I just can't stand the cold, research, and as several others do, down a few Sam Adams!

Being new to the hobby, just started in Janurary right before it started to snow in my neck of the woods, I have spent the winter days reading all the posts in this forum and picking up some tips. For a majority of the time I started researching the surrounding area so I can hit a few spots a soon as the weather breaks. ALso I have been paying attention to where people conjugate in parks ect... With the snow on the ground you can see people tracks all over parks and stuff so I have been paying attention to that.

Addtionally I have been researching newer MD'ers so one day I can get a real one :)

I need to add one more thing. THe weather was warm this week so I was able to get out a couple of times. Man am I sore. So I guess I need to add that during the winter months I started to hit the gym lol....

cheers
Charles

It seems like everyone is having a bad winter this year. I grew up in Maine, my family is still there (bet its a great place to MD) and they have been snowed in for weeks! I'll be going up in May and will take my Ace 250 with me. Will show if I find anything worth showing.

Back
Top Bottom