I Found a Penny

Top-USMC

Forum Supporter
Not too exciting for most of you. But a US Lincoln on the beach in Balneário Camboriú, SC Brazil is a very rare event then add the fact that I found it. It is a very rare event.

:wow:

BTW: After diligently searching I cannot find the origin of "Felix Pennies/Coins".
I gather that they are zinc cents; but how did Felix get tagged?

Not too exciting for most of you. But a US Lincoln on the beach in Balneário Camboriú, SC Brazil is a very rare event then add the fact that I found it. It is a very rare event.

:wow:

BTW: After diligently searching I cannot find the origin of "Felix Pennies/Coins".
I gather that they are zinc cents; but how did Felix get tagged?

Thats certainly worth posting! We all have found strange foreign coins a long way from home, and it adds to the mystery of this Sport, as we study Mankinds travels! One of my favorite finds is an Australian Penny way up in a West Mi sand dune...makes a guy ponder what the hell is the story behind the drop!
Mud

"Felix Penny" Explained

Some background on the "Felix" penny. I have been a staunch supporter, along with a few others on this forum, of the zinc Lincoln penny over the years. I have stated that its money and it deserves respect. However, there are also others on here that are part of the "Dark Side" that are against the Felix penny. They see at as nuisance trash and even go so far as throwing it out in a garbage can at the beach upon leaving They are led by the Evil Emperor, a well known moderator of this forum. (I will not name him as I am sure he will rear his ugly head to make a disparaging comment about Felix pennies).

Here is the original post in member FoiledAgain's post where I make the The Lincoln Composition Proclamation!

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=213378&highlight=felixes

In this post a very good explanation of the "Felix" penny is given.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=214734&highlight=felix+penny

I hope this public service announcement helps not only you but many others out there to choose the right path of The Force...

Some background on the "Felix" penny. I have been a staunch supporter, along with a few others on this forum, of the zinc Lincoln penny over the years. I have stated that its money and it deserves respect. However, there are also others on here that are part of the "Dark Side" that are against the Felix penny. They see at as nuisance trash and even go so far as throwing it out in a garbage can at the beach upon leaving They are led by the Evil Emperor, a well known moderator of this forum. (I will not name him as I am sure he will rear his ugly head to make a disparaging comment about Felix pennies).

Here is the original post in member FoiledAgain's post where I make the The Lincoln Composition Proclamation!

I hope this public service announcement helps not only you but many others out there to choose the right path of The Force...

You just gotta love a guy who says "Henceforth"....:laughing:
Mud

How is the treasure hunting there..1 to 10 has to be some fine looking gold for the women there are Golden...

I would think many people dont detect in brazil. You could be one of the few to detect and if people there wear their stuff on the beach you have a good shot at finding something nice

OBN & Briman05;

Yes, the 'view' can be distracting at times. I've been here awhile so I have kind of grown used to it. Especially since I married one. :cool:

I have seen one other guy with a detector. HE was in high speed mode each time I saw. I do not think there is much education here about 'how to use a detector'. Another guy told me he had one too but he wasn't impressed with using it. There is a lot of trash (pull tabs and screw caps) on the beaches here. There are a few videos on YouTube from Brazil detectorists. But it is mostly one guy trying to advertise the hobby so he can sell detectors. The economy here is on a downturn and think the hobby never took off.

Brazilians tend to not wear their jewelry to the beach. Other than wedding bands you do not see much. A little bit of costume earrings is about it. They are pretty good at finding their dropped coins as well.

In Rio, (I live there) tourists are discouraged from wearing any jewelry on the street or beach. There have been necklaces grabbed on the run by kids you'll never catch. I am not fond of detecting there either.

However, here in southern Brazil, especially this beach the crime rate is VERY low. So, Argentinians do tend to wear some jewelry here since this is a 'fancy' destination for them. I haven't found much in the dry sand so far. In June I hope to bring a new detector back from the US so I can hunt the wet sand and surf.

Some background on the "Felix" penny.

I think the post should be reposted as a Sticky thread titled 'Save the Felix Pennies'.

:laughing::laughing:

Congrats , I think everyone here would like to spend a week hunting with you
HH

Welcome to the forum! congrats on the zincoln/Felix penny,,,,,you found a foreign coin,,,,,,I find them from time to time and think its cool,,,,now show us your gold when you find it,,,,,nobody seems to want to post their gold anymore,,,,:roll:,,,,GL HH

Welcome to the forum! congrats on the zincoln/Felix penny,,,,,you found a foreign coin,,,,,,I find them from time to time and think its cool,,,,now show us your gold when you find it,,,,,nobody seems to want to post their gold anymore,,,,:roll:,,,,GL HH

Well, there is 6km of beach on average 30m wide. It is full of screw caps and pulltabs. So when I find gold I'll let everyone know. I'll also post how many pulltabs I dug before finding it. Anyway, there is plenty of beach to support a few detectors. Come on down.

I'd be there is a heartbeat if I could get away. Nice finding foreign coins. Living in the islands I've got a collection of coins from all around the pacific rim. From the Phillipines, Japan, Korea, and the Central, North and South America .

I was recently surprised to find a modern Canadian dime was made from steel as was the nickle I found recently from Fiji. What's clad coming to these days?

Back
Top Bottom