A random question

Swinglow

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
Ok if you were doing a seeded hunt in dry sand and knew a bunch of other people would be there, which of the following detectors would you use:

-XP Deus (either 9" or 11" Coil)

-Excal with PP Mod & 8" coil

I'm thinking since this is a dry sand only hunt, speed is going to be a lot more important than depth. That said, i'm giving the Nod to the Deus. That and if I use the excal and someone else has one near me...that's not gonna work out too well.

Yes, I realize most of you would not do a seeded hunt. I've never done one and figured what the hell.

So if you had to choose one of those machines, which one would it be and why.

Deus all day long. You want fast recovery and fast sweep speed. That is key to finding the most coins. The coins will be gone or mostly gone in the first 5 to 10 minutes.

Is there black sand, or the sugar quartz that is stable enough for a $19 bounty hunter?

Ive seen both in action. if there was the slightest bit of mineralization, Id bury all the targets over 9" deep and clean house with Excal.
:hornetsnest: :hide:

Most seeded hunts dont have targets 8" deep. The Deus recovers so fast, it light, better suited for small gold, deeper than the Xcal, TID screen, heck of a lot lighter, and you can swap to the larger coil. Hands down the Deus. It also helps if you can get some idea as to the type of seeded targets.

Dew

Never done one either, maybe someday...but for sure I'd go with the Deus...and practice a very fast retrieve/web pouch thingy too...scoop n dump stuff in the sack and keep moving fast!

If I ever do a seeded beach hunt, it will be with my F70..tall mans lower rod, gets me a 12'arc super fast...Good Luck!
Mud

Seeded hunts are not about depth but are all about speed...and fast recovery techniques.
In my club in Kansas we have two main seeded hunts every year.
I believe 2000 targets are buried in each hunt site but only a little over 100 of the special tokens total for the bigger, better prizes.
Usually a lot of hunters for these one hour hunts, most targets are scooped up in the first 20 minutes or less and after that it gets sparse.
Lots of newbie hunters go way too fast like a hockey player on a fast break and miss stuff, I follow behind some of them going fast but slow enough to get the signal and sweep up what they totally passed over.
I usually did pretty good at these hunts finding several targets including many of the special prize tokens.
I used the 7" coil Compadre every time at first, after most targets were gone I switch to the Vaq or F70 and a big coil to find any stragglers and usually could find one or two.
The Compadre for the speed and light weight for efficiency, later the big coil for coverage.
I tied an old, small top zippered camera bag to my ankle and dropped all found targets in there while I was still bending over and checked out everything later.
Even taking a few seconds to stand up and drop targets into a pouch or pocket takes time and adds up when ultra speed counts.
Before I even stood all the way back up after digging a target I was leaning forward and had that coil moving back and forth to try to find the next one and the light weight of the Compadre helped.
Worked for me.
Go with the Deus and practice with your detector on efficient speed and recovery before the hunt.
Just one extra good target can get you a great prize.

One more thing ...... the Xcal doesnt play well with other machines. Since you arent attempting to dig deep targets......... id reduce the sensitivity as well and go with the 9". Since you have some choices with freqs, knowing the targets being planted and possibly size can help you select the proper freq.

Dew

DD you are right about the Tesoros. I knew a guy that was a regular at these seeded hunts and swore by them. I believe he could even swap freqs just a tad to compensate for other machines.

Hi George, Sorry we didn't run into each other. I had a good time of course it makes it even better when you win prizes. :yes: I was using the MX5 which is just as fast as my previous IDX pro. The guys here pretty much cover everything. I was seeing on average two targets a head of me while recovering a target. What I mean by that you could see previous dug imprints from the night before seeding. Of course being a head of everyone else gave me the advantage. :yes: Hope to see you around.

I would borrow Pi Joe's PI.. then no one can hunt with in 30 feet of you...:D

But serious, lite, fast, and shallow. I have helped at seeded hunts and all we do is throw the coins. Most will be in the first two inch's of the sand. I think the other advantage is the scoop you use. The best I seen was hand scoop with a piece of chicken wire to trap the coins or token.

I would borrow Pi Joe's PI.. then no one can hunt with in 30 feet of you...:D

But serious, lite, fast, and shallow. I have helped at seeded hunts and all we do is throw the coins. Most will be in the first two inch's of the sand. I think the other advantage is the scoop you use. The best I seen was hand scoop with a piece of chicken wire to trap the coins or token.

:lol: That's right joe a hand scoop is a must also like I say in basketball..... Run and gun! :lol:

Hi George, Sorry we didn't run into each other. I had a good time of course it makes it even better when you win prizes. :yes: I was using the MX5 which is just as fast as my previous IDX pro. The guys here pretty much cover everything. I was seeing on average two targets a head of me while recovering a target. What I mean by that you could see previous dug imprints from the night before seeding. Of course being a head of everyone else gave me the advantage. :yes: Hope to see you around.

Was good to see you Joe. LOL @ Angel winning the wearable sand scoop :laughing: I really wanted to throw a coffee cup in there. Or some change.....pretend he's a toll booth basket.

DD you are right about the Tesoros. I knew a guy that was a regular at these seeded hunts and swore by them. I believe he could even swap freqs just a tad to compensate for other machines.

Dew, I've worked seeded hunts and helped seed for them. Big hunts will always have a large number of Tesoro's especially the uMax series. I owned one and the little machine sounds like a machine gun over multiple targets.

Back
Top Bottom