• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Permission for an 1883 homesite

Ohio Digger

Elite Member
Well my 1860 homesite with the huge front yard that I did great on this past Friday is having a bunch of trees removed so it's going to be off limits for a while til they're done. I've had my eye on an old homesite about 5 miles from me. The auditor's website says it was built in 1883. There's a realtor's For Sale sign in the front yard. I stopped yesterday to knock on the door but it's pretty well vacant now. The house is in good shape though, I just think the people have moved a lot out. I was driving by today and saw an older fella and his middle-aged daughter putting stuff in his pickup so I pulled in. I mentioned how I always liked the character of the house and that I knew it was built in 1883. He said the back of the house was the original, the front had been added on. But from the looks it was probably added in early 1900's. The auditor website says the last sale date was 1972 so I'm hoping no one has detected it yet since they never said anyone had. I explained to them what my intentions were and what I was looking for. They were a little hesitant because the house is up for sale and they don't want it all dug up. I explained how I "cut" a three-sided plug, flip it back and retrieve the target, then flip it back down and that they would never know I was there. He said "Go ahead, I don't see what harm you'll cause. If you find $10,000 in gold you have to split it with me." I said fair enough (anything less I'm keeping for myself :) ). I'm going to try and hit it for a few hours tomorrow.

Good luck!

I have been hunting a buddy of mines house built in 1855 the last few days. Found a WWI button ;-)

HH

Good luck. that is awesome!! I have my eye on a house and was going to ask the owner for permission. A guy that I know grew up with the owner and told me to wait and he will ask her. He said he knows her well and if he asks her he thinks she will definitely say go ahead.

Back
Top Bottom